• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Howdy

I was in today to check out the selection for the first time and noticed the little signs posted EVERYWHERE that stated that you folks do NOT accept a state ID and will only accept a driver license.

I'm curious why that is?

I grew up in Chicago, never got a license because I would have never been able to afford to park my car (downtown Chicago), and still don't have a license. I do have an Indiana ID, and I do have a lifetime LTCH - you folks won't sell me a gun if I wanted to buy one?

Curious,

Joe :patriot:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I seem to remember a thread about this a long time ago here on INGO.....
    I am thinking it was a no go on state I.D.

If I am wrong I apologize in advance.
    I tried to find the thread but could not.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The Indiana state ID is not acceptable as a valid form of identification for the purposes of purchasing a gun at Bradis, except under certain circumstances such as a verifiable medical issue preventing one from obtaining a DL. The policy stems from an incident several years ago, where someone from out of state used a fake ID and bought a gun from us, which was later used in a high-profile shooting. The owners have decided to keep this policy in place even with the recent strengthening of the requirements for obtaining an Indiana ID card. That being said, it IS only a store policy, not state law, so if all you have is an Indiana ID, WE will not sell you a firearm but you are free to purchase elsewhere. Thanks for understanding!

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    This is from the Thread that this was once a topic of. This is their policy and we should respect that.

Well I have read this entire thread and as has been stated The store policy is ; We do not take State Id cards for the purchase of a firearm unless you have a medical reasoning as to why you do not have a valid and current Indiana Driver's License with a correct Adress on it.
    As Shooter521 stated this is due to the several instances of folks coming over from Illinois and getting an ID and then going back and committing felonies. The owners Granddaughter and staff have had to make several trips to Chicago for trials.
    It is posted all over the store about us not accepting anything but a Valid Indiana Drivers License.

As already stated we as the employees do not have any say in the policies that you are exteremely upset about. As already stated if iy means that much to you call the shop and aske to speak with Management to try and get the ;policy changed but here is a word of caution. If you come at management the way you posted on here you will get no where.

Yes we have a "NO LOADED FIREARMS" policy also as do most stores. This is for insurance purposes and for the folks that just don't handle a firearm safely. Try being on our side of the counter and have someone come in that wants to sell a firearm, then hands it across the counter pointed at you while loaded. Not a good feeling.

96firephoenix

Master
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't see why the state-issued ID is not valid. I had one when I was 14 so that I could fly on my own, and the number stayed the same when I got my learner's permit and then my driver's licence. :dunno:

edit: Ninja'd by shooter and Eprobertson

below the edit: Shooter... why don't you accept Indiana issued ID's? I thought the issue was IL ID's Also, do you accept Passports/passport cards? it might be very soon that I don't have a driver's licence, but I would still like to give you my business.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Also, do you accept Passports/passport cards?

No, as a passport does not bear one's address.

This issue has been hashed over at least a couple times here. Let's not :horse: yet again, shall we?

The original drama! :drama:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/local_gun_shops/100563-bradis.html

The cross-forum drama! :runaway:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/local_gun_shops/121640-bradis_on_hooisertopics.html

If this policy excludes you and means you won't be shopping with us, I am truly sorry. But it is what it is, and I don't see it changing anytime soon ("above my pay grade," and all that).

StarbaseSSD

Plinker
    Oct 15, 2008
    Clarksville IN
    Passports do not indicate State of residence, nor address. I would expect a SecureID issued by the State of Indiana would be valid, (Indicated by a yellow star on the ID) should be valid, as it had to be mailed to the address indicated, also.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Unless you can cite otherwise, I'll go with... the fact that you sold a gun to someone who used it to commit a crime, is not a crime in itself. Your responsibility ends at the door.

As example - Sportsman's Warehouse, Jared Lee Loughner, Senator Giffords.

If you want to carry the blame for how the guns you sold are used, so be it. Sounds to me like you need to be in a different line of work.

trillobite

Marksman
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    Blame or not, they still have to go to trials out of state, which is a major inconvenience. There is all the bad press, also, as "Rabid gun nut buys automatic revolver at Bradis!!!!" would be a likelier headline than "Felon uses forged ID to buy murder weapon". Also, as this involves a illegal transaction involving multiple states, it may also fall under Federal jurisdiction, and helloooo, instant ATF audit! They raided Ludco for paperwork inconsistencies, and he still is dealing with fallout from that. I doubt Ludco has even gotten their guns back, yet.

So, yeah, I'm fine with their policy. It's a private business, not a government agency. It's not like Don's Guns would hate more business.;)

trillobite

Marksman
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    So, does anyone else wish that a picture on a LTCH was a option? Would make for a convenient second I.D., and match the licensee to the license without needing driver's license.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Most people who dont have their DL's are probably not the law abiding citizens that Bradis wants to do business with.-Just a theory

That is just that, your own theory.
    I have a driver's licence but it's a foreign driver's licence, and I can drive legally in the States.
    My passport shows my address but it's not my address in Indiana since it's a foreign passport it's my address outside of the US.
    I may get a Indiana DL in the future but since I can legally drive with the licence I already have now I am not going to get one just to be able to buy at Bradis. :rolleyes:

You can be a law abiding citizen, American or foreigner alike, and not have a licence issued by the state or no driver's licence at all. :dunno:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Jan 13, 2011
    That is just that, your own theory.
    I have a driver's licence but it's a foreign driver's licence, and I can drive legally in the States.
    My passport shows my address but it's not my address in Indiana since it's a foreign passport it's my address outside of the US.
    I may get a Indiana DL in the future but since I can legally drive with the licence I already have now I am not going to get one just to be able to buy at Bradis. :rolleyes:

You can be a law abiding citizen, American or foreigner alike, and not have a licence issued by the state or no driver's licence at all. :dunno:

Siding with Bradis, most people with state Indiana State IDs, have them because they got into trouble at some point.... failure to pay child support or tickets, suspended licenses, committed a crime of some sort. Granted that is not always the case, but for those that it does apply, it is indicative of irresponsibility.

Anyways... their store there rules

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom