• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I don't want to be accused of beating a dead horse here but no one seems to know what the situation is at the new airport. There are now signs at every entrance that state NO WEAPONS VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED. Prosecuted by who? Is this a State law? An airport Rule? Does this apply to travelers who want to declare a legal firearm at the ticket counter? How does that work now? Does it apply to Indiana residents licensed by the State to CCW? I have looked all over the airport's website and all it talks about is NO SMOKING ANYWHERE. I traveled for years with declared firearms and never had any major problems. My job takes me in and out of this facility every day and it would be nice to know where this came from and how we are supposed to deal with it. Any ideas?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The worst punishment that would befall you for carrying OUTSIDE the sterile area would be a trespassing charge, and that only if you are told to leave and refuse to do so. It is possible that Peaceable Journey would cover you so long as the firearm is unloaded and cased, but the bottom line is: "Concealed means concealed." Signs have no force of law in Indiana. Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, attempt to enter the sterile area while armed, however, unless you're looking for free room and board for the next few years, courtesy of the state of Indiana and/or Uncle Sam. (Yeah, I know that's a no-brainer. I just didn't want to be accused of promoting violations of US law.)

Blessings,
    B

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    Airport authority is among those administrative agencies that need a new haircut. Preemption revision needs to apply to this as well as all other gov administrative units.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    You are really concerned about this. I would say call them and ask and let's go from there. I go to the airport like 1 time every 5 years so it does not affect me that much, but just the fact that it's posted pisses me off. Or write them, or even better lets find a gun friendly lawyer to write to them.

Indianapolis International Airport (Indianapolis Airport)

Address:
    Indianapolis International Airport (IND)
    2500 South High School Rd., Suite 100
    Indianapolis, IN 46241–4941
    U.S.A.

AIRPORT POLICE: 1.317.487.5084

Persons interested in the program should contact the Indianapolis Airport Authority at 1-317-487-5280.

OR EVEN BETTER EVERYONE fill out their contact me page and ask what the heck is going on with the signs:

Indianapolis International Airport (Indianapolis Airport)

They also have board meetings (one tomorrow at 0830).

I just submitted my form:

I have heard that the new airport is posted no weapons. According to state law the non-secured areas of airports are NOT off limits areas, only the secure areas. I am a licensed handgun carrier and a law abiding citizen. From what I was told there is threat of prosecution on these signs. By what authority has this been done and under what law would these prosecutions take place? People who are law abiding and go through the time and background checks to get licenses to carry a handgun are not the ones you have to worry about, and people who carry without a license are the danger and will never pay attention to any signs. Also with some normal precautions, it is perfectly legal to fly with a declared and secured firearm in checked baggage. Many people are talking about this. Are you implying that this can no longer be done in Indy? Please contact me about this, I am truly concerned. Thank you... RalphB72

I'm not holding my breath but I will post any response I may get.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I called the airport police and talked to a Sargent (Riggs I think his name was) and he hemmed and hawed but basically said they "like you to leave it in your car" but if you aren't going through security and you have a permit, that you should keep it concealed.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Thank you very much for getting involved ralphb72. I just don't seem to be able to get a straight answer as to where this came from. The airport is currently owned by a private company and being operated by the airport authority. This would seem to be one of those grey areas as far as state law goes. I'm hoping it's simply like a gun free zone sign on a storefront where all they can do is ask you to leave, (just company policy) but if this company has city police on their payroll I'm concerned that it might be a little more serious than that. It's hard to see the lines here. I am unwilling to rely on a verbal comment from a cop only because as we all know here they are not legal scholars most of the time.(bless their hearts) At this point I am hesitant to enter the building until I know who's on first. Anyway, thanks again.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thank you very much for getting involved ralphb72. I just don't seem to be able to get a straight answer as to where this came from. The airport is currently owned by a private company and being operated by the airport authority. This would seem to be one of those grey areas as far as state law goes. I'm hoping it's simply like a gun free zone sign on a storefront where all they can do is ask you to leave, (just company policy) but if this company has city police on their payroll I'm concerned that it might be a little more serious than that. It's hard to see the lines here. I am unwilling to rely on a verbal comment from a cop only because as we all know here they are not legal scholars most of the time.(bless their hearts) At this point I am hesitant to enter the building until I know who's on first. Anyway, thanks again.

It's not a grey area at all. The law is clear. The signs have no force of law and carry is allowed except in sterile areas of the airport. That having been said, that doesn't mean they won't arrest the hell out of you and make your life a nightmare. Ideally, the signs need to come down and the airport needs to stop treading on our carry rights. I don't see that happening any time soon.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I saw the signs posting that no weapons are allowed or I will be prosecuted. I carry legally daily and come through your airport from parking to the car rental agencies and back weekly. Please amend your signage to reflect legal carrying or let me know by what authority the Airport Athority has taken this is new direction. Thanks.

Just left this and I will post anything if I get an answer.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just got this reply back.

Thank you for visiting our Web site and contacting us! In order to provide you with a correct answer, I’m going to need a little more information so I can forward your feedback to the appropriate person. Where is the sign(s), to which you are referring, located? I’m assuming you see them somewhere along the path from the parking garage to the Ground Transportation Center . I just want to be sure I understand where you see the sign. Also, you mention “carry legally daily” – what do you mean by this (permit, job, etc)?

Thank you for taking the time to provide me a little more information. This is a large place so I want to be sure I forward your feedback to the most appropriate person in order that you receive an answer quickly.

We appreciate your feedback!

I replied:

The signs, which I do not remember in detail but say something like "No Weapons are allowed on Airport property, violators will be prosecuted" and are posted on the sliding doors entering the facility with the sign of a pistol and knife. I enter the building from parking to car rental and visa versa on my return. I have a "License to Carry Handgun" issued by the State of Indiana. I carry concealed at all times unless when traveling by plane, I check it in a locked case at check-in, as required to check a firearm onto a flight which means I still have a weapon on airport property.

Your reply is appreciated.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I called the airport police and talked to a Sargent (Riggs I think his name was) and he hemmed and hawed but basically said they "like you to leave it in your car" but if you aren't going through security and you have a permit, that you should keep it concealed.

Happy holidays but I don't give a poo what you like. I didn't call you ask your opinion. We all have opinions and yours stinks too. What I need is facts.

esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I was in South Bend Regional Airport, I can carry on "this side" but once I go throught security its a no no. I even asked because there are no signs, the first airport security gal said "if you do you had better not advertise it!" The officer working the airport said as long as you have your permit it just like your in the mall.

esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Simon Says?

Do they have signs posted that say not weapons at these malls? Or do they say gun free zone like this?

handbill-crimezone-s.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yes. It's on their "Mall Rules" signs at each entrance. Of course, it also says "No hoodies".
    They probably think that's a new term for "hoodlum". :rolleyes:

On the few occasions I go to the mall, if it's wintertime, I'll often be wearing a hoodie AND a pistol. They will only see one of these. I've yet to be told to leave.

Blessings,
    B

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I use the shoulder rig for the mall in the wintertime. Next time I have to go, I'll try to snap a shot of the rules. They are pretty funny.

Top Bottom