• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you do when you are carrying and see a "no weapons" sign in a store?

• Total voters

lane440

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    whiteland
    I just wish i wasnt out of REP because i would be passing it out on this one . I do not believe in locking guns in vehicals , in a home safe yes . Any gun i carry is part of my person and not a weapon , after all im defending myself not murdering people.

dholmtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ATTENTION CRIMINALS: This establishment has unarmed all law abiding citizens for your convienence. Your welcome, Management. To that store manager I say what criminal is going to leave his/her gun in the car because of a sign on the door. They are already most likely illegally carrying that weapon and the weapon itself is probably illegal. Atleast if this is not posted you have a chance that a law abiding citizen with a LTCH will step up and save his fellow citizens life or prevent the robbery. Just my opinion

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I guarantee that the truck parked in the parking lot will be ticketed at the minimum. I would also bet the odds are good it will be towed. Now in Burger King they don't want to cause problems so in 99.9% of the cases they would just ask them to leave. But just because it isn't a person and an object it doesn't matter.

I doubt it would be ticketed but it will probably be towed (at owners expense). If the guy was sitting in it then he would be asked to leave first.

You are confusing the property of the person with the person themselves.

An Object can't enter onto property. Only a person can (carrying the Object). If I have a gun & carry it onto a signed property then walk away & leave the gun there & the police are called, they will confiscate the gun but there is no crime that was committed. I'd say that they would have to give me my gun back as well. I don't know if they could charge a fee for the service provided to the property owner in picking up the lost weapon like a towing company can for the labor involved in towing an unwanted vehicle from the property, though.

someguy9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    No weapons sign

I have always just went to another store. But recently I noticed my doctors office started posting them. I have had to drop my wife off and wait outside or go home and leave my handgun at home. and return to pick her up. Time consuming and aggravating.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have always just went to another store. But recently I noticed my doctors office started posting them. I have had to drop my wife off and wait outside or go home and leave my handgun at home. and return to pick her up. Time consuming and aggravating.

Why would you wait in the car or drive it all the way home?

Other options:
    Leave it in the car
    Ignore the sign
    Find another doctor (and tell yours why you are leaving).

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I had to take my wife to get an MRI today. There are two sets of automatic doors you have to go through. I noticed on the first door, posted in large bold letters, FIREARMS PROHIBITED. I walked through the first set and the second set was already open because someone was leaving. I sat down, pulled out my phone, and started reading posts on INGO. I was reading this very post when my wife came out and we started to leave. The second set of doors that were open were now closed and I got the chance to read what was posted. Once again, in big bold letters, was FIREARMS PROHIBITED. Below the firearms sign, in letters as large and bold, CELL PHONE USE PROHIBITED. Now the whole time I was using my phone, a nurse was sitting at a desk right in front of me. At no point did she raise any concern about my ignorance of the sign. She did see me because she asked if I was waiting on someone. I found it ironic that one sign could be blatantly ignored without any problem, but I'm sure they would have been displeased to know I ignored both.

Schwartzki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Only 2 places I frequent have these signs, first one is Glenbrook mall and there is so many shady people in there that I wouldn't enter without. The other place is my bank, which despite a letter to their board of directors asking to revoke the policy, which went unanswered.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Only 2 places I frequent have these signs, first one is Glenbrook mall and there is so many shady people in there that I wouldn't enter without. The other place is my bank, which despite a letter to their board of directors asking to revoke the policy, which went unanswered.

Did you explain to them that nobody has to obey their sign?

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I had to take my wife to get an MRI today. There are two sets of automatic doors you have to go through. I noticed on the first door, posted in large bold letters, FIREARMS PROHIBITED. I walked through the first set and the second set was already open because someone was leaving. I sat down, pulled out my phone, and started reading posts on INGO. I was reading this very post when my wife came out and we started to leave. The second set of doors that were open were now closed and I got the chance to read what was posted. Once again, in big bold letters, was FIREARMS PROHIBITED. Below the firearms sign, in letters as large and bold, CELL PHONE USE PROHIBITED. Now the whole time I was using my phone, a nurse was sitting at a desk right in front of me. At no point did she raise any concern about my ignorance of the sign. She did see me because she asked if I was waiting on someone. I found it ironic that one sign could be blatantly ignored without any problem, but I'm sure they would have been displeased to know I ignored both.

I think I know which office you were in. Those letterings are HUGE.

I think the cell phone thing is to prevent people being a-holes. You weren't being an a-hole, so all was well. So can we assume the guns sign is to prevent people from being criminals and as long as you aren't being a criminal all is well?

Seriously though, the no firearms sign there might be because they have had problems in the past of people coming in for MRIs (which don't react well with large chunks of metal). As long as you aren't the patient... whatever.

Top Bottom