• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Thank you for your constructive input.

I don't think that answers the real question though. Honestly I don't think there is a real answer to the scenario.

Sometimes things happen that really place us in a no-win situation. This is probably one of them.

Agreed. I know my suggestion didn't directly address the OP's question. My answer was more of a way to circumvent or even prevent such a situation.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It's always good to think of some "what if" situations before they actually happen. Granted, this is very unlikely, but the best senario is to comply as much as possible and file a complaint later. That doesn't mean that it will always turn out in your favor either.

And for those who say it could never happen...just google search Erik Scott Costco Shooting. What if you're shopping at a store and an anti-gun employee freaks out at your exposed gun, evacuating the store. As you exit, 3 over-zealous cops open fire (1 in the arm pit as your hands are raised), and you take seven .45 slugs. As you fall to the ground in a lifeless heap, your still holsered gun falls to the ground next to you. Most LEO's are great, but you need to figure out what you are going to do before you actually encounter one of those "one in a million" scenarios.

Just my :twocents:.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    My thoughts on this are to survive. If I was convinced (not impulsively, but sincerely convinced) that the officer was going to murder me, I would try to resist. I would be yelling for help, praying someone else was around. I would ONLY be doing this if my life was legitimately in danger. My life, NOT my well being.

With that said, I would be trying to make myself as harmless as possible. Curl up in a ball, protect vital organs if needed. I would probably try to get on my stomach, since that is a pretty good indicator that you are giving up, and still allows you to curl into a ball if needed. I would be saying things like "I give in" "Easy, I surrender" etc.

It really is a no win, since you are going to get injured. If you run, you will look guilty and you will not only have that one officer after you, but you will have several other officers after you, and chances are they will take you down hard as well. If you fight back, regardless of the situation, you could be charged. That is not something I want to deal with. If you surrender, you get injured, but you also get to sue!

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    The fact that there is no good answer illustrates a very, very important point.

The reason there is no good answer is because we as a society endow cops with enormous powers. We allow them to exercise judgment above and beyond what we allow ordindary citizens. We give them the benefit of the doubt when those judgments turn out to be wrong. We give their sworn word more weight than the sworn word of an ordinary citizen. We give them the power to issue orders to citizens that the citizen must obey.

All of these powers are necessary.

That is why we should come down with hell's own fury when we find a bad officer. When an officer oversteps not out of good faith judgment, but from some petty need to show power, or worse when he's just corrupt, firing should just be the first thing that happens.

If a cop speeds and the fine is $50.00 for a citizen, it should be $100.00 for a cop. If a criminal penalty is one year in jail for a citizen, it should be two years for a cop.

When they abuse their enormous power, they should face enormous consequences.

That would work if they actually policed themselves :D They don't give each other tickets, don't arrest each other unless it's a fairly serious felony etc. etc. For things like speeding, driving drunk running over stopped at a traffic light motorcyclists it's merely a slow down or go home and be more careful next time. :):

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Well for the sake of actually offering something on topic for once. I would let him kick the **** out of me and I would sue the life out of him and the department and retire early :D

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    I would have stripped naked.
    Or that would have been my first idea.

It's always good to think of some "what if" situations before they actually happen. Granted, this is very unlikely, but the best senario is to comply as much as possible and file a complaint later. That doesn't mean that it will always turn out in your favor either.

And for those who say it could never happen...just google search Erik Scott Costco Shooting. What if you're shopping at a store and an anti-gun employee freaks out at your exposed gun, evacuating the store. As you exit, 3 over-zealous cops open fire (1 in the arm pit as your hands are raised), and you take seven .45 slugs. As you fall to the ground in a lifeless heap, your still holsered gun falls to the ground next to you. Most LEO's are great, but you need to figure out what you are going to do before you actually encounter one of those "one in a million" scenarios.

Just my :twocents:.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Weird scenario, only answer I learned from Spongebob: Drop to the deck and flop like a fish!

While I do not believe in statistics to protect myself (as statistics of being mugged thrice in my life so far have done little to protect me, 1 in 100,000 chance my butt), the statistic of have a bad cop, bad day, bad situation are SO minute no actuary would touch it.

But, that being said: Police ARE held to a standard, but they can slip through. As one poster already said: Their supers will look through any BS story imaginable. That officer will be doing the Marion Mumbo if they go "above and beyond" as in the scenario painted. I think what scares me more is what police do OFF duty for entertainment, rather than ON duty due to boredom :D

But there is some information given that could diminish the situation painted to a minimum, as already stated: blinkers to acknowledge, get to well lit and populated area. Use your brains.

Chances are slim, but present. But the chances are probably higher that my theory of Mars and Venus using Earth as a proxy war is correct. Something not to worry about. If it's a case of wrong place, wrong time, justice should and will prevale, just don't flinch!

Top Bottom