• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Government should not be allowed to pick winners and losers. In this case LA Fitness would be a winner, because they get $$$, and everyone else who didn't get money, as well as the tax payers, are losers. I hate it when government gets involved in transferring money to businesses. A prime example was the Colt's stadium.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Think you call this hipocricy.

A hypocrite is the kind of politician who would cut down a redwood tree, then mount the stump and make a speech for conservation.
    Adlai E. Stevenson

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The hamilton co repubs are just as bad at building their utopian view of society with your tax dollars a the democrats are. The repubs want paladiums, art districts and fancy new gyms (that put local gyms out of business). The democrats want to take your money and give it to the "less fortunate" and have a completely green, 0 environmental impact society.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I've lived in it my whole life. Brainard is a damn kid in a candy store with the taxes Carmel brings in, and Noblesville is all but corrupt. Westfield, my hometown, is well on it's way to getting washed up in the same stuff as well. Saddens me, the county used to be full of fields and good people.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This stands in evidence to the fact that labels do not make people good, regardless of what the label may be, or its general nature (i.e., political, social, religious, ethnic, or national). When I first noticed Brainard, I thought him remarkably similar with a Democrat. With another decade under my belt, I have come to the realization that the problem is not individual but rather that there is little difference between the parties other than the window dressing. This situation seems to be further proof of that lack of dissimilarity.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The fail here isn't in the local government offsetting the construction cost with taxpayer money to the tune of $900,000. The fail is that government has devolved into the default position that collecting and spending more money is its highest raison d' être.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Bureaucracy, like any other organism, wants to grow and perpetuate itself. The citizenry has to be responsible enough to prune it back periodically. That pruning needs to take place in Marion County, as well.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Bureaucracy, like any other organism, wants to grow and perpetuate itself. The citizenry has to be responsible enough to prune it back periodically. That pruning needs to take place in Marion County, as well.

I believe this is the most eloquent, thorough, and concise treatment of the subject I recall having encountered.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What are you referring to?:dunno: Don't recall anything in this thread about voting for anyone. Sorry, sometimes I think someone needs to bump your tonearm ever so often. Your record is stuck.:D

He's a republican so he has to be better than his democrat opponent. Just stating that republicans will vote for him regardless of his record. That's exactly what we're seeing in the presidential election.

c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    I have always pondered the true situation of municipalities giving funds to businesses. Is what the tax take increases are larger than the funds expended? Or are the tax payers are getting fleeced?

If the increase in tax revenue is higher the the funds expended then it is a good deal if our taxes go down. Generally though, our taxes stay the same and spending is increased.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    He's a republican so he has to be better than his democrat opponent. Just stating that republicans will vote for him regardless of his record. That's exactly what we're seeing in the presidential election.

He probably is but that isn't really relevant. And there's a difference between voting for him to keep the worse riff-raff out and supporting him in the primary process as the preferred candidate.

You really like to blur the lines of clarity in your attempt to cast aspersions on anybody and everybody that doesn't vote your way.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have always pondered the true situation of municipalities giving funds to businesses. Is what the tax take increases are larger than the funds expended? Or are the tax payers are getting fleeced?

If the increase in tax revenue is higher the the funds expended then it is a good deal if our taxes go down. Generally though, our taxes stay the same and spending is increased.

It's corporate welfare, plain and simple. Do we really want the entity that is responsible for destroying businesses in charge of creating businesses? Here's a thought. Why doesn't Noblesville offer to charge zero tax to any business wishing to locate there and quit giving out corporate welfare?

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Can I assume that everyone that is complaining on this board is showing up to the city council meetings to voice their displeasure? Are you getting your friends and families to do the same?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Can I assume that everyone that is complaining on this board is showing up to the city council meetings to voice their displeasure? Are you getting your friends and families to do the same?

While I agree with you in theory, the reality of many city governments is their minds have been made up and the decision already made by the time we the public see it "discussed" at any public meeting.

By that time, the momentum is next to impossible for the citizenry to overcome.

I know this historically has been true in the small NW Indiana town I grew up in.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Been there. Done that. A huge waste of time. Once those people have made up their minds they go right ahead and do what they want. They know they have the votes to be reelected each time they come up. Their robotic constituents do the same thing no matter how egregiously they spend and expand. Put up a better candidate and the voters just lockstep and hit the "Elect All R" button in the booth. Hamilton county, and its towns are filled with political zombies.

Top Bottom