• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Well, I had to be "That guy" last night. About 12:45am last night, my wife and I were awaken by a loud stereo. The bass was loud enough it was rattling the windows in our house!

We thought at first that maybe it was just a car passing through, but it continued. I got up and walked around the house and determined that the direction of the loud noise was coming from our neighbors to our east that share a backyard porperty line. (Note that I'm in a typical late 90's development, 1/4 acre lots, with probably 30 yds between homes side to side, and maybe 50-60 yds back to back).

I turned on the outside lights and the kitchen light to indicate that we had been woken up, hoping that would take care of things.

The music seemed to get less loud, and back to sleep I went. About 1:30 we're woken up again, this time by loud voices and the typical lough laughing one would expect from a bunch of friends having a good time, in addition to the loud stereo.

My wife is ticked, as our daughter is now awake too. She asks that I call the police. I think about it, and decide that if I were the offending neighbor, I'd like to hear about it in person, rather than from the cops.

So I get dressed, grab my wallet and a few other things I always carry with me, and open up the back door and walk across the yard. I politefully hollered in their direction "Excuse, me can you please keep it down." At first no reaction, just continued laughing and carrying on. I walk a bit closer, but stay in my yard and say it a bit lounder.

This time my neighbor stands up and replies "Excuse me?" I'm sure he was a bit startled by me standing in the back yard at 1;45am. I repeat my request, and mention that the noise has woken all of us up. He askes which part, music or voices, and I replied "both."

His friend replied "sorry dude, we'll turn it down" and I said "thanks" and walked back into the house. Sure enough, they toned it down and the rest of the night

I'm glad I did it that way, rather than calling the police. At the same time, I hate to be the party pooper. Only a few years ago I would have complained about the "stuffy old neighbors" always wanting me to turn the music down, etc.

Anyway, there's my morning rant. Off to church now...

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    You handled it Very well ,,, and honestly so did your neighbor ..

Several years ago (when i still had my harley )
    my nextdoor neighbor was out at 1 am riding his dirt bike up and down the property line <drunk>..he woke my wife up ,who had to go to work at 6 am ,,
    I walk outside and asked politely if he would stop , explained my wife had to go to work ,.
    He tells me no He don't have to he is on his property ..I just shake my head and walk inside ..
    After my wife leaves for work I wait till he is good and passed out in his house let him sleep about and hour ,
    I walk to the garage walk my harley out in the driveway as close to his house as i can get it , while staying on my property ,
    And start it up .after it warms up good i begain to see how loud i can make the 2 inch open drag pipes sing ...OVER AND OVER AGAIN ..

He runs out of his house PISSED .. I just look at him and smile :D

He never said a word till about a week later he walks over to appologise :patriot::ingo:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Some nieghbors just don't have any common sense....an now a story for
    your entertainment...
    Several years ago, a person in my family met a guy during his work routine
    for the day an found out they were both Nam Vets....this happened in Ft. Wayne.
    The guy was awakin by his biker neighbor an his biker friends with really loud music
    also...he got dressed an went over an knock on the door, the owner came to talk
    to him....he asked if he could turn it down a little...the owner said sure...then slammed the door onn his face an turned the music up even Louder!!! This guy went back to his house, he said he just snapped, got out his 12 ga. pump an went back over, kicked the door in, came in an shot the stereo! Then went back to his house...the bikers all left. He never had trouble out of the neighbor again...

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    your entertainment...
    The guy was awakin by his biker neighbor an his biker friends with really loud music
    to him....he asked if he could turn it down a little...the owner said sure...then slammed the door onn his face an turned the music up even Louder!!! This guy went back to his house, he said he just snapped, got out his 12 ga. pump an went back over, kicked the door in, came in an shot the stereo! Then went back to his house...the bikers all left. He never had trouble out of the neighbor again...

Great story. All my friends have friends who know some one who did that to. They did it to gang bangers, local sports jocks, meth heads, neighboring campers, biker gangs, and what not.

I didn't believe a word of it when they told their version either.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    your entertainment...

Yikes! Guess he made his point though. I will tell you, I had a lot of things going through my mind before I walked over there. Are they drunk/high? Could this get violent? How many of them are there, and do I really want to put myself in the middle of this?

I'll admitt, I was pretty keyed up on adrenaline after I had to repeat myself a second time. I wasn't sure if they were ignoring me, or what. I knew that I didn't want to step onto his property either if I didn't have to just to keep things as neutral as possible. I had no intentions of escalating things, but couldn't be sure of him.

I don't know my neighbor very well, but we've met informally mowing the grass, etc. So I figured there was at least a common ground there.

Even though things went well, after I came back inside I definitely had that minute or two of heart pounding as I came down off the adrenaline.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I doubt the neighbor has any hard feelings about it. I agree that most people will act cool if you act cool. If you chat with him any time soon, you could mention that there are no hard feelings on your side of the fence...if you're worried about it.

I like to meet my neighbors, personally. I've never brought anyone a freshly baked pie as an excuse to say hello, but if I see them outside while I'm outside, I make a point to at least wave.

meldusty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    When I moved to my "Urban" house a couple years ago my neighbor brought over a plate of freshly baked brownies. Instant friends.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Nearest neighbor to my soon to be front door? 600-700 yards. You can see their drive on the top of the woods on the left side of the road. You can barely see their house from where mine will be with the leaves down. I can't wait til summer.:D The nearest one after that? About 4/10ths of a mile. :rockwoot:

googleearth-1-1-1-1.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, can't wait to get into the country myself. While I don't have quite the spread you do, we'll be on 2.2 acres. Looks like next closest neighbor will be >100 yds or so, with most of them farther.

property.jpg

We went out today to meet with our builder to start staking off the area for the basement to be excavated. Hope to be breaking ground in a few weeks or so. The faint red lines are roughly our property lines.

That should help the noisy neighbor issues a bit. :yesway:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As a "peace offering", even though you've not done anything wrong... Perhaps walk over with a 6-er of a tasty malted adult beverage and just jack-jaw for a little while?

Lots of folks are more reluctant to behave in such a manner as to disturb "friends" rather than faceless neighbors...

-J-

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    There is a cop that lives in shouting distance from me and every now and then he has friends over and they hang out in the garage and are a little loud but I can't complain...... once his girlfriend parked a big part of her vehicle in my front yard..... after I told him (did not know it was her's till after the fact) he laughed and said she does it at his place some times....... ever since she has kept it at his place even if they have company haha. He even laughed when I told him I tried to have it towed...

His buddies are not loud enough to keep me awake and I don't find them passed out in my yard so I don't mind.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    As a "peace offering", even though you've not done anything wrong... Perhaps walk over with a 6-er of a tasty malted adult beverage and just jack-jaw for a little while?

Lots of folks are more reluctant to behave in such a manner as to disturb "friends" rather than faceless neighbors...

-J-

I would do that...but one of the reasons I haven't been more direct in being friendly with him is that I think he's homosexual. :gheyhi:

Yes, I will admit that I'm a bit homo-phobic.:gaychase:I don't and won't pass judgement as I think it is a personal decision for someone to choose to adopt that lifestyle, but I do not support it and I do think it is un-natural and wrong. I also don't want to know about it and don't want to be around it.

Lets just put it this way, he's had several parties, and this same guy seems to always be spending the night there. It could just be that they are good friends and / or room mates, but I don't really want to get any actual evidence of them being any more than that.

My wife and I actually joked a bit about it today. If in fact they are homosexual, then it was probably better they did have the music turned up loud so we didn't hear anything else that might have been "bumping" in the early morning hours.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I see what LOOKS like several ponds in the property around you. I'd give that basement idea A WHOLE LOT OF THOUGHT before I committed to it.

If it were me, I'd want to discuss it with at least a few neighbors near the same elevation who have basements.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I see what LOOKS like several ponds in the property around you. I'd give that basement idea A WHOLE LOT OF THOUGHT before I committed to it.

If it were me, I'd want to discuss it with at least a few neighbors near the same elevation who have basements.

I have 1100' of perimeter tile in mine going to a field tile that dumps in a creek 1/2 mile away. The builder didn't think I needed it because he's putting in a double sump pump system. I told him they work great as long as you have power. 1" of water in my basement will overshadow the cost of my perimeter tile in a hurry. I'm at the very end of the power line with only 3 houses on it in a half mile. I'm sure the power company won't see my house as a priority if we ever have a big ice storm etc.

Top Bottom