• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Pretty much anything can become a weapon.
    David slew Goliath with a stone.

Pencils can penetrate 4" or 5" into a human.
    A scalding hot cup of coffee or tea will make anyone stop in their tracks, if only for a few seconds, when their face is covered with burning liquid.
    For that matter, a porcelain mug to the temple could kill someone.

A can of hairspray and a butane lighter will catch peoples attention.

Your only limitations are your own imagination.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    A good cane made from 1 1/8th" Indiana Hickory makes a very serious weapon mainly because of the surprise factor. It's already in your hand and you can reach out another 3 feet past your arm's reach. One second you can be standing there leaning on it and the next second you can snap it up into their cajones. Most creeps will not see that coming. It can be used to shove someone away from you or bring them in close if you desire. A thick piece of Indiana Hickory will break most of the bones in the human body and will completely shatter the bones in a human hand. The best part? Under the American's Disability Act it cannot be taken away from you. Not even by the T.S.A. when boarding an aircraft. By law they cannot even ask why you carry it. You can carry it into any Courthouse or Govt. building. I have been carrying one since 2004. Most of the time now I am in a wheelchair but the cane is still with me. A Hickory cane makes a very fine defensive tool. And Indiana produces the finest hickory in the world.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Your first statement is the killer for many of us. While I’m not in perfect shape, at 59, I don’t have near the speed and strength I did just a few years ago.
    While I agree that blade isn’t ideal, I think I will pick up a fixed blade just to keep at hand while at work.

Matt
    Being fit has less to do with age, and more to do with self control. I’m a self professed fat kid, at 46, I can still run/walk/work circles around most kids half my age. I have extra pounds, and the sweat that comes with those extras, but I can still ruck 20 Miles a week with 40lbs, (humped a lot more in my early days). Most guys these days can’t ruck to the nearest Speedway without a nap. Age is a crutch/excuse most use to not better themselves, leave your comfort zone and get fit.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    A good cane made from 1 1/8th" Indiana Hickory makes a very serious weapon mainly because of the surprise factor. It's already in your hand and you can reach out another 3 feet past your arm's reach. One second you can be standing there leaning on it and the next second you can snap it up into their cajones. Most creeps will not see that coming. It can be used to shove someone away from you or bring them in close if you desire. A thick piece of Indiana Hickory will break most of the bones in the human body and will completely shatter the bones in a human hand. The best part? Under the American's Disability Act it cannot be taken away from you. Not even by the T.S.A. when boarding an aircraft. By law they cannot even ask why you carry it. You can carry it into any Courthouse or Govt. building. I have been carrying one since 2004. Most of the time now I am in a wheelchair but the cane is still with me. A Hickory cane makes a very fine defensive tool. And Indiana produces the finest hickory in the world.

Our friend here has a good point, of a cane interests you. You may want to read up on "bar****u".

The articles were written around 1900 and the pictures at very least are entertaining.

**Edit**

Stupid censorship,

You could probably Google "baritsu" and find what I'm talking about, bc it was misspelled when referenced on a Sherlock Holmes book. But it really should have an extra t in there. You can guess where.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Our friend here has a good point, of a cane interests you. You may want to read up on "bar****u".

The articles were written around 1900 and the pictures at very least are entertaining.

**Edit**

Stupid censorship,

You could probably Google "baritsu" and find what I'm talking about, bc it was misspelled when referenced on a Sherlock Holmes book. But it really should have an extra t in there. You can guess where.

Tractor Supply Company has a good, solid cane for ~$15-20. Not indiana hickory but oak. Can’t beat the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have one cane made from white oak and it's a nice walking cane but hickory is considerably tougher and a little heavier. I have 3 Hickory canes that I really don't think I could break if I tried. I have seen guys break oak canes. One annoying thing I have noticed is that most of the cane manufacturers won't even tell you what kind of wood they use. I guess they do not assume their cane will ever be used as a weapon - only as a walking aid. Try to find Hickory if you can. The sales people usually have no idea what kind of wood they're selling. Rural King offfers a really nice cane for a very good price that is made from ash (what baseball bats are made from) and it's pretty tough and has some weight to it. Canemasters produces some very strong beautifully crafted canes but their prices are just absurd. When looking at canes be sure to check the grain runnout to see that it runs parallel to the bend in the crook and not perpendicular to it.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, I'm not that far behind you in age, I think it is about maximizing our own individual potential. Am I as fast as I was even 5 years ago? No. But, with the help of adrenaline, I think I can be "fast enough" for as long as I need to.

The list of "nightmare scenarios" increases the older I get. :) But, we can still plan for those scenarios that we can be effective, while accepting there may be more that go badly for us.

"I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!" ;)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    36p208k.jpg

Top Bottom