• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I don't recall ever seeing any leeway in the Indiana Code for "non lethal" or "less lethal" ammunition.

If you shoot a gun at someone it is deadly force. Period.

Might as well use something that might save your life, rather than something that probably won't.

Or get you killed by wasting the precious seconds you needed to defend yourself with a real bullet. In a SD scenario you never know how far you'll have to go or how quickly to save you life or your family member's. The time it takes to get a real round into your chamber could make all the difference.

If deadly force is not needed, then don't pull the trigger.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've been thinking about this for a while now.

What are your guys thoughts on carrying a non-lethal round only as your chambered round?

Could you send a 2nd or follow up shot quick enough if you need the lethal force?

Are non-lethal or "rubber" rounds in .45, .40. 9mm etc. readily available?

I guess I'm just curious what everyone else's thoughts are on all the aspects of this.

Given the fact that handgun bullets are known to be generally ineffective, and given that most people when shooting in a high-stress situation have a difficult time hitting center of mass, or even hitting any mass they thought they aimed for, it seems like ANY handgun round, even the best of them, are "less than lethal" in the hands of most shooters.

So that said, I'll stick with a good quality round and practice and pray that I can actually hit my target in a high stress situation. Even if I do hit the target, the round may not prove to stop the threat. But it is the best we can hope for!

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I keep trying to come up with an instance where I would feel safe with rubber bullets and for the life of me I can't.

When attacked by a pack of teacup Chihuahuas??? :dunno: :laugh:

190366_f520.jpg

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Hey, that can be the new Taco Bell dog. I hear they have an opening.

In all seriousness (and to get back on topic), I'd avoid a less than lethal round of any kind in a carry weapon. If less than lethal force is desired, it would seem best to get a tazer or a spray agent and leave it at that. I'm a believer that breaking leather should be the last resort and only done if you are facing a life-threatening situation and have no other options. At that point, you are shooting to STOP the threat and need proper ammunition to help that happen.

Given that most gun fights are over in a few seconds and knife attacks don't last much longer, I would not recommend anything that would cost you time in drawing from concealment and stopping such a threat. Again, pack a tazer if your personal situation or mindset requires a less than lethal stopping option. In some situations, that could work well for you.

The comments made earlier about your actions being assessed by a prosecutor in the light of having employed deadly force are correct. You will not likely be looked at any differently for using less than lethal, glazer rounds or Hyrda-Shock ammo. The handgun training rule of 'never point a weapon at something you do not intend to destroy' would come into play. Hey, who's to say you would not shoot someone with the rubber bullet who has a bad heart and they die anyway. God forbid you are scared at the time (imagine that!) and double tap the BG instinctively and he dies anyway even though you only intended the rubber bullet.

The bottom line is to keep the gun in the holster until the decision has been made to defend yourself with lethal force. You can always pull back and de-escalate if the situation changes (the BG drops the knife, turns to run, etc.), but the gun should be a last resort tool for protection against life-threatening situations. It should stay holstered until your evaluation of the situation has determined that you may well die without it.

Just my humble opinion, mind you, and I know that everyone's situation is a little different. No judgments passed here - just sharing some thoughts.

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I gotta agree with everybody else as to this would be a huge no no. If that was the cercumstance then I think you would get into more trouble with the court as someone else said. Also, just as everybody else here, when it's time to use your weapon then you will want the correct round.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I freely admit that I don't know everything, but I have never heard of non-lethal handgun cartridges. I know of "less than lethal" shotgun loads for crowd control and such, but people have still died after being struck by them.

The primer powered rubber bullets can achieve 400 fps or so and could conceiveably cause enough trama to stop a heart, similar to a punch in the right spot. I have trained with them and they are OK as long as you are wearing plenty of clothing and face protection. I have also used primer powered cotton balls for training long ago.

I understand why you are asking the question, I just think it is moot since I don't believe anything is available to do what you want. Unless you get a taser......

Top Bottom