• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Im sure this question has been asked already a couple of times but I know that our EDCs change all the time (mine does anyway) so I thought I would ask again.

What non-lethal weapons/tool do you carry on your person?

Other than your fist or shooting the bad guy in the leg with your handgun(your gun would be a non-lethal weapon in this case to me).

I dont have much in this area, a pepper spray and a good "tactical" flashlight with a strike bezel, a folding knife that could be used as an impact weapon when closed ... and a little of martial arts background to use those few tools.

Thanks for your answers.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Why?!

If I feel that I need to escalate to the point that Force is used. I will be using my Sidearm...

This.

If I’m carrying “tools” or “weapons” they are going to be used for lethal force. If I’m carrying it and it’s “non-lethal” then I’m not going to use it for self-defense.

I’m also not going to put my self in situations where I need non-lethal tools to assist me.

If I can’t run away/remove myself from the situation and the situation escalates to physical then it’s hands on. If that fails then at minimum a knife is getting pulled. If you can’t avoid getting into an altercation with a drunk person you need to rethink things.

I’m not out there looking for fights, so I’m not going to carry something that is “non-lethal”.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why?!

If I feel that I need to escalate to the point that Force is used. I will be using my Sidearm...

Wow you sound dangerous.I hope you have a really good lawyer.
    You may have/want to defend yourself without using lethal force in many situation.
    If a drunk unarmed guy wants to punch you in the face for some reason while you walk on the sidewalk you cant just draw your pistol and shoot him in the head.
    Even police officers use those non-lethal tools because they cant always legally use their siderarm.
    If all the options you have is no use of force and use of deadly force then
    I think you are missing something in between.
    Also law aside even if I can legally use deadly force and my sidearm doesnt mean I want to kill another human being if I have the option to use non-lethal force then I will.

:twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Im sure this question has been asked already a couple of times but I know that our EDCs change all the time (mine does anyway) so I thought I would ask again.
    Actually mine is pretty much the same everyday...
    Minus a few occasions...
    Mini Flashlight, just for lighting purposes.
    Bic Lighter, Nice to be able to light stuff on fire occasionally.
    Pocket Knife, mainly cause it is nice to use to open stuff with...
    What non-lethal weapons/tool do you carry on your person?
    None at all.
    Other than your fist or shooting the bad guy in the leg with your handgun(your gun would be a non-lethal weapon in this case to me).
    YOU may wish to pay a Lawyer for a little advise in this one... ;)
    I dont have much in this area, a pepper spray
    I think we had a Member that can tell you a really good reason to NOT carry this in your pocket...
    and a good "tactical" flashlight with a strike bezel,
    They just wear holes in pockets...
    a folding knife that could be used as an impact weapon when closed
    Once again you might want to talk with a Lawyer...
    and a little of martial arts background to use those few tools.
    Same as above...

Wow you sound dangerous.I hope you have a really good lawyer.
    You may have/want to defend yourself without using lethal force in many situation.
    If a drunk unarmed guy wants to punch you in the face for some reason while you walk on the sidewalk you cant just draw your pistol and shoot him in the head.
    Even police officers use those non-lethal tools because they cant always legally use their siderarm.
    If all the options you have is no use of force and use of deadly force then
    I think you are missing something in between.
    Also law aside even if I can legally use deadly force and my sidearm doesnt mean I want to kill another human being if I have the option to use non-lethal force then I will.

:twocents:
    I have read the Indiana Code and Consulted with several Lawyers on my options.
    Have you?!

The Only Less Lethal Tool I use is my Mind. Avoid or Maneuver yourself out of the Situation. If the Situation escalates to the point where Force is Required. Then use Force to defend yourself.

The fancy Gadgets you listed are NOT a proven way to save your life. There are People who Sprays do not work on. There are People who are better at Hand to Hand than you. And I will not even tell you my feelings on someone using a Folding Knife as an Impact Weapon, If you are going to have the Knife out then use it...

But hey WTF do I know, nothing that is why I PAID several Professionals to tell me what the Law Says! :twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont care if the law says that a handgun or a knife are "LETHAL" weapons.They can still be used as non-lethal weapons if you want to defend yourself without killing another human being.
    The same way "non-lethal" weapons can be used to kill someone (we had many exemples of people killed with those non-lethal weapons.Taser, pepper spray ...).
    Its all depends how you use those tools and if you want to use them to kil or not.
    It's not because I can legally use deadly force that I will in all situations.
    To kill is not always the solution I want when I have to defend myself if I can avoid it.
    It all depends on the scenario of course, sometimes you have to use deadly force, sometimes you dont.
    I think its dangerous to think that anytime we will have to defend ourselves it will have to be with deadly force.Same way its dangerous to think that we will always have a non-lethal answer to the threat.
    Its where your brain comes into play depending on the situation.It's why I think its good to have both lethal and non-lethal options on you.
    And know when to use each one.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I’m not out there looking for fights, so I’m not going to carry something that is “non-lethal”.

So if you are carrying non-lethal tools you are looking for troubles?
    Damn then I have a big problem in my neighborhood, cops walking around with pepper spray and ASP batons.
    They are always looking for fights I guess.
    I should call the police ... oh wait. :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I dont care if the law says that a handgun or a knife are "LETHAL" weapons.They can still be used as non-lethal weapons if you want to defend yourself without killing another human being.
    The same way "non-lethal" weapons can be used to kill someone (we had many exemples of people killed with those non-lethal weapons.Taser, pepper spray ...).
    Its all depends how you use those tools and if you want to use them to kil or not.
    It's not because I can legally use deadly force that I will in all situations.
    To kill is not always the solution I want when I have to defend myself if I can avoid it.
    It all depends on the scenario of course, sometimes you have to use deadly force, sometimes you dont.
    I think its dangerous to think that anytime we will have to defend ourselves it will have to be with deadly force.Same way its dangerous to think that we will always have a non-lethal answer to the threat.
    Its where your brain comes into play depending on the situation.It's why I think its good to have both lethal and non-lethal options on you.
    And know when to use each one.
    When you get off your soapbox why don't you go back and read my post again...
    ;)
    Damn then I have a big problem in my neighborhood, cops walking around with pepper spray and ASP batons.
    See there is a difference between me and an LEO...
    They have this little piece of Tin pinned on their chests. And with that comes certain protections from certain aspects of the Law that just don't quite reach over to cover me as just a Law Abiding Citizen... ;)

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana

Do not troll me.

I’m not going to lug around pounds of gear that are non lethal objects, because quite frankly I don’t need them. I’ve been on this Earth for 26 years and I’ve NEVER been in a situation where I needed non-lethal tools to protect myself. Am I just lucky? Maybe. It could also just be because I am good at avoiding confrontation.

If, in the rare chance, I have to defend myself; I’m going to be using my pistol or my knife.

Top Bottom