Non-lethal (or less lethal rather) shotgun ammo legality?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    My brother and I were watching football and talking guns. He is in the process of purchasing a new home and had some questions about home defense, the legal aspect of gun ownership, what would I use/do if...etc. Then we got to talking about different non-lethal alternatives in a home defense situation. My brother doesn't have kids, but will someday, and the thought of accidentally firing on a family member almost made him sick just talking about it.

Does anyone know if non-lethal shotgun ammo is available to the public or is that strictly a LEO thing? And if so, what all is available? We talked about the bean bags used in the jackass movie, and even discussed the possibility of rock salt, kill bill style. How legal is that:dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't know of any state or local law that would make less-lethal rounds illegal.

That said, I can certainly imagine the civil suit for using them, and maybe even criminal charges. Are you really in fear for your life when you are just trying to hurt someone? That's not MY argument, but I it sure well be the DA's or the civil attorney's.

We've had discussion on INGO about using salt or even birdshot for self defense. The general consensus seems to lean towards this not being a good idea.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    My brother and I were watching football and talking guns. He is in the process of purchasing a new home and had some questions about home defense, the legal aspect of gun ownership, what would I use/do if...etc. Then we got to talking about different non-lethal alternatives in a home defense situation. My brother doesn't have kids, but will someday, and the thought of accidentally firing on a family member almost made him sick just talking about it.

Does anyone know if non-lethal shotgun ammo is available to the public or is that strictly a LEO thing? And if so, what all is available? We talked about the bean bags used in the jackass movie, and even discussed the possibility of rock salt, kill bill style. How legal is that:dunno:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Firing on an intruder inside your home is NOT the place for less-lethal munitions. They don't always stop the person they are used on, especially those persons who may be in a chemically altered state. If he is worried about shooting real bullets with family in the house, I would advise him to replace the less-lethal idea with a firearm and real bullets and a few training classes.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    That's what I said to my brother. He was just concerned about coming around a corner, investigating a bump in the night, and firing on a supposed wrong doer, that turned out to be a family member. I share the concern, but that is remedied with the use of a flashlight.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    CMD-MOD-C---Shotgun-Flashlight-Mount-B.jpg

Problem solved.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Exactly. We were just wondering about the legal ramifications of using such munitions on an intruder and calling the le to apprehend them after they had been subdued.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    21st Century and others were selling 12 gauge rubber baton rounds a few years back. I can't imagine that would have changed.

I have no knowledge on the legalityu of use but you can buy them.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Half the Problem solved.

FTFY

Throwing a flashlight on a gun doesn't make you any more prepared to fight in the dark than giving a 16-year-old a 700HP car prepares him to win the Brickyard 400.

As VUPDblue already suggested, it sounds like this person needs a mindset adjustment before they need rubber bullets. That doesn't make him stupid, it just means he has further to come before he loads up his shotgun and goes stomping through his house. A class on home defense and the defensive use of a shotgun (or handgun or whatever) would do him wonders.

He would soon realize that fears of shooting a loved one aren't as big of a deal. What he's actually fearing is his own perceived inability to handle such a situation effectively. He will feel this way until he gets his confidence up, which comes when his skills are more up to snuff.

Leave the less-lethal shotgun munitions to the police.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    When my daughter was living at home, we had code words to use if we ever heard that bump in the night. The words would verify where each other was and if we were in a designated safe area. And we PRACTICED over and over and over until it was part of our being, and we still practiced communications and knowing safe and unsafe locations.

As for using a firearm for personal defense, you must be of the mindset that if you need to use the firearm for defense of yourself or a loved one, you must be ready for the fact that you might kill someone. If you can't live with the fact that to protect yourself, you might have to take a life, then you really shouldn't have a firearm.

You also can't have enough training and again practice in the art of home defense. Remember it almost never happens like it does on TV.

Just my opinions.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I've got a fairly creative imagination (just ask my students) and I have a hard time coming up with a situation where you would be safer shooting someone with a 12 gauge less lethal round than with regular shot.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    When my daughter was living at home, we had code words to use if we ever heard that bump in the night. The words would verify where each other was and if we were in a designated safe area. And we PRACTICED over and over and over until it was part of our being, and we still practiced communications and knowing safe and unsafe locations.

As for using a firearm for personal defense, you must be of the mindset that if you need to use the firearm for defense of yourself or a loved one, you must be ready for the fact that you might kill someone. If you can't live with the fact that to protect yourself, you might have to take a life, then you really shouldn't have a firearm.

You also can't have enough training and again practice in the art of home defense. Remember it almost never happens like it does on TV.

Just my opinions.

I agree, and so does my brother, which is why I am the gun owner in the family, and he isn't.

Again, we were discussing hypothetically. And as I'm the family gun nut, he thought I would know. When I didn't, I posted it to the INGO brethren.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    buddy of mine down the road was goin' to get bean bags for his 12g and wanted to know what i thought of it?....

i said throw the 12g away and get a ball bat.....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've heard people talk about making the first round birdshot (in case of that misidentification issue) and then following it up with 00 buck (once you've determined it is indeed a bad guy). Got to agree with the training advice above all though.

Top Bottom