• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Are people who are non-members aloud to shoot here? If so how do you go about it? Do I need to know someone who is a member and have to have them go with me? I wouldn't mind joining if i had the money for it right now which i don't. It's basically down the road from me and it would be nice to be able to shoot here. Also why are calibers like .223 and 7.62x39 7.62x54 not aloud when you can shoot. .500s&w and 454cassull? kinda makes no sense to me.

Well anyways if i can't shoot here without knowing someone to get in.,Is there anywhere else in the Marion County area to shoot that would allow many calibers? Will prolly be taking my ar,mosin and might bring my .380 or .40...Also reasonable price. I've shot at Don's once and never again will i step foot in there.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    There are two ways non-members can shoot at MCFG. You can go as someone's guest and pay a $10 guest fee or you can go to one of the events listed at the MCFG site. So "Friday Night Steel" and other events are open, but have an entry fee which is generally higher for non-members.

Why no rifle calibers? They travel much farther and the range is right next to Indianapolis. It is a safety and liability thing. Handgun rounds don't travel as far. Another range that is out in the country would be far more likely to handle rifle rounds.

MCF&G is a very good range, but with the rifle limitations, it isn't for everyone.

Last edited:

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Well that's no good i guess. My cousin from up north wants to do some shooting and i though i might try there. I have more rifle ammo to waste then i do my handgun...I do know it's right next to Indy. I used to go fishing right in the spot long before they ever had that place there or even redid the highway. I still remember when 136 didn't have the apartments. We use to fish all over the place there and wade through the creek.

As for the rifle limitations i understand, but at the same time I figured they would have it setup so you could at least shoot some calibers of rifle. It's not like i'm going out with my .444 marlin just wanted to find a place to break in the new ar and such. Don't care much for indoor ranges. And my hunting property is to far south to justify just driving to shoot and not doing some land management.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    They do allow rifles, but only handgun-caliber rifles, such as .22s, 9mm, .45, etc. If you want to shoot your rifle rounds, you might want to check out Beech Grove Firearms (indoors) and Atterbury (outdoors- south of Indy). There probably are other ranges around that allow rifle rounds, but not much right around Indy.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Havent been to atterbury in a few years. Last time I went it was trashed. I guess ill call around and see who accepts what. Just trying to save on gas really.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Atterbury is nice now. I wouldn't let that old experience dissuade you. That is where I go when I want to do some rifle shooting.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Is it still 7 dollars for the day or did they change the rates? And is it still always packed? Ill be going in the middle of the week probably morning time

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Are people who are non-members aloud to shoot here? If so how do you go about it? Do I need to know someone who is a member and have to have them go with me? I wouldn't mind joining if i had the money for it right now which i don't. It's basically down the road from me and it would be nice to be able to shoot here. Also why are calibers like .223 and 7.62x39 7.62x54 not aloud when you can shoot. .500s&w and 454cassull? kinda makes no sense to me.

Well anyways if i can't shoot here without knowing someone to get in.,Is there anywhere else in the Marion County area to shoot that would allow many calibers? Will prolly be taking my ar,mosin and might bring my .380 or .40...Also reasonable price. I've shot at Don's once and never again will i step foot in there.
    Wilbur Wright in New Castle, is FREE.... open 8-5 Wed. thru Sun. closed Mon. & Tue. (unless the hours change on Sun.) Haven't been there in a while .....

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Well that's no good i guess. My cousin from up north wants to do some shooting and i though i might try there. I have more rifle ammo to waste then i do my handgun...I do know it's right next to Indy. I used to go fishing right in the spot long before they ever had that place there or even redid the highway. I still remember when 136 didn't have the apartments. We use to fish all over the place there and wade through the creek.

As for the rifle limitations i understand, but at the same time I figured they would have it setup so you could at least shoot some calibers of rifle. It's not like i'm going out with my .444 marlin just wanted to find a place to break in the new ar and such. Don't care much for indoor ranges. And my hunting property is to far south to justify just driving to shoot and not doing some land management.
    OP,, The range has been there since 1907.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

You are in my area as we to are Eagletukians. We are members at MCFG. We love the place but it does have some limitations due to location. Rim-fire and pistol cartridges only. They have open membership every month and fee is not that high for how nice the place actually is. We shoot centerfire on private property.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I caught that after I posted. We used to ride dirt bikes/fish and even hunt rabbit and tree rats (squirrels) all around there when I was young and before they built it up. You could pop off with .22's as long as someone was on the range shooting. You did not draw any attention. Just had to be very careful with your shots.
    The creek was a skinny dip paradise back in those days.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Didnt realise the range has been there that long. I just remember fishing all over the creek. Used to set out trot lines there too. But as for the club, I wouldnt mind joing just dont habe the money for it right now. I just really want to shoot my ar some and my nagant some.

o and its nice to know im not the only one from eagletucky lol

Top Bottom