• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah, you gotta buy your ammo online. I got 223 brass for $311 a case to my front door. And some buddies of mine (not me sadly) got 9mm brass at $205 a case to their front door... I have enough handgun brass now and almost enough rifle brass built up that I will however soon be in the market for a reloader... However I have so much to learn about it first!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Yeah, you gotta buy your ammo online. I got 223 brass for $311 a case to my front door. And some buddies of mine (not me sadly) got 9mm brass at $205 a case to their front door... I have enough handgun brass now and almost enough rifle brass built up that I will however soon be in the market for a reloader... However I have so much to learn about it first!
    BFish, where!!??? 9mm

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    BFish, where!!??? 9mm

I asked my buddy the same thing! And had the same response haha. I call him and he started with "Well you're going to be mad..." to make a long story short I got left out on the order...

Yesterday he said he would check his email conformation to see who he got it from for me. Because if it's still there you better believe I'll be ordering a case also! I'll let you know. He said he'd let me know tomorrow. I can't remember what brand they got but it was nice manufacture new ammo. Freedom sells their new stuff for about 210 give or take but you still have to ship it! And apparently what they got is "nicer." But yeah ill let you know

Last edited:

theslasher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Knox
    I make a 50 rd box of 115 gr plated 9mm for $6.07. 230 gr plated 45 acp for $7.09.
    Anyone who says it isnt worth it has more money then brains obviously....

imagejpg1-3.jpg

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I make a 50 rd box of 115 gr plated 9mm for $6.07. 230 gr plated 45 acp for $7.09.

imagejpg1-3.jpg

Or they have other things they would rather spend their time on. I don't consider myself to be without brains for spending the few extra bucks on a box of shells if I can use the extra time to do stuff with my family, or help at the conservation club, or side projects that I can sell to make more money than I would save by reloading.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Wow, what kinda of components are you buying? I'm notta bulk buyer and I'm saving way more than that!
    LB of powder $23-25
    1000 lead bullets $80
    1000 primers $34
    that's $137 give or take a few $$ for 1000 rds am I missing something? brass is range pick ups
    Maybe im missing somethg.

The last time I bought 9mm lead bullets, they were such crap that I gave up on lead. Plus, I often shoot a Glock, so lead is not the best choice. Plated 9mm bullets usually cost about 12-14 cents each, and FMJ are even higher. Powder and primers are about what you quoted, maybe even a little less. Final cost is around 20 cents per round, assuming that one already has the brass. If one needs to buy brass, then the cost probably exceeds buying store ammo.

Even at 8 cents per bullet for lead, you are still looking at around 12-14 cents per round (not counting the cost of brass), so I might save $5 on a box of 50 rounds. Counting my effort bending over and picking up brass and time spent using my handloading equipment, it just doesn't make economic sense. I could do it faster if I spent several hundred on a progressive press, but that would increase the cost per round.

I'm not saying that reloading is a bad idea, but it's like most hobbies - you get a custom-made product and the satisfaction of doing it yourself, but you probably aren't really saving any money.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town

imagejpg1-3.jpg

That reloading press wasn't free. And the components for 9mm plated cost more than 12 cents each unless you are buying several thousand at a time.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

imagejpg1-3.jpg

Unless, of course, you don't shoot often enough to recoup your investment in the equipment. Then you might have some brains after all.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    as far as the time it takes, it really depends on your equipment, etc.

The last few years I've gone through about 5k 9mm and 2k .223. Total time invested? Probably less than 30 hrs per YEAR. That includes time pulling the handle on the press (~18 hrs), brass prep, loading primer tubes, etc. Saving several hundred dollars for that amount of effort is most definitly worth my time.

I do most of the loading in the winter, and rarely touch the press in the summer.

-rvb

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Saving around $100-$120 per 1000!! yea I'm all for it.
    2 kids in school, I'll spend 1hr at the table a couple nights a week. It works for me.

theslasher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Knox
    I pay $75 shipped for 1000 plated 9mm's from xtreme. I sit down and 1 hr and 15 min later I have 500 rds of ammo thats 1/2 the cost and lots better than factory. And thats 9mm's. 1/3 the cost on 45's. Dosent take much time away from my family. Make me laugh when people pull the family card.. It takes too much time from my family!! Whatever... I remember being 6 years old helping my dad make ammo.. Ill never forget it!!

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I reload, but the cost savings aren't that much (maybe a nickel per round for 9 or 45 if I'm lucky). When my time is factored in, it's not worth it just for the money saved - you have to like doing it. When buying ammo, I just shop carefully at Walmart, Meijer, and online.

I save a ton price per round but then i buy online in large bulk. There is no place local that has reloading supplies the closest is 40 mins away. If i bought from them id be paying more then Wal-Mart prices. Example 2k 38spl wadcutters cost me like $200 to make my own.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    as far as the time it takes, it really depends on your equipment, etc.

The last few years I've gone through about 5k 9mm and 2k .223. Total time invested? Probably less than 30 hrs per YEAR. That includes time pulling the handle on the press (~18 hrs), brass prep, loading primer tubes, etc. Saving several hundred dollars for that amount of effort is most definitly worth my time.

I do most of the loading in the winter, and rarely touch the press in the summer.

-rvb

So, assuming by several hundred you meant somewhere between $200 and $500 and you spend $30 hours a year, you basically taking a job "paying" between $6.67 (below minimum wage) and $16.67 an hour to load ammo.

If that's a good deal for you, then perfect. If that's a bad deal for you, then it isn't.

Of course, that's leaving out side benefits, like being able to make your own subsonic ammo, if you shoot suppressed (which is more expensive than range ammo) and being able to keep rolling your own during a shortage crisis (though I guess you could stockpile cheap factory ammo to get the same benefit, substituting money for time during times of plenty).

Top Bottom