• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I know that IL is going to start issuing CCW permits this year. As an IN resident, I find it annoying my neighboring state is a "black hole" for legal concealed carry for us IN LTCH holders. I was at Cabela's in Hammond, IN recently. There was a man from some business (gun training) with a table about IN, UT, and FL classes and such. I asked about non resident IL permits. He said that former members of the military (DD 214 to verify) can reduce the training from 16 hours to only 8 hours with a DD 214. He gave me a business card which had a website that explained everything. I lost it.

From what I scanned, it was going to be expensive to apply for it. But if the training is reduced, that theoretically would reduce my costs. Does anyone have a good reference to what it takes for a non resident to apply? Costs of training, fees to the state, and such.

I'm still sort of in the category of "wait and see" once they have CCW's in the hands of residents for them to start recognizing other states (like IN or UT or ?).

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Illinois has now a list of 27 instructors from Indiana listed on their web site. The training requirements are the same for Illinois residents and non-residents, the fee is just double; $150 resident and $300 non-resident. The Illinois law states non-residents from states having similar CCW laws may apply and as of now the only state listed is Hawaii. The fact they are approving instructors from Indiana does look promising for issue to Indiana residents but don't ever forget we are talking about Illinois where common sense and logic have no place.
    The 16 hours training can be reduced to as few as 8 hours because of prior training which can be found at;

https://www.isp.state.il.us/appriss/ccw/CCWPriorTrainingCredit.pdf

Go here and check on the "New Applicants" section for more information, incl;uding "Find Instructors" section on the upper left of the page, just put in "Indiana" and it will bring up the Indiana list.

https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/public/home.aspx

If I was from Indiana I personally would not do anything in pursuit of an Illinois CCW untill they list Indiana on their web site for approved states. I was able to apply for mine on December 18, the ISP opened up applications for certified instructors as a Beta test run, that should put the permit in my grubby little hands by March 18th. Jim.

HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Being an ex-Illinois resident, I will not consider obtaining a non-resident CCW for Illinois. The law will be under attack during the next few months. It remains optimistic that the state will be issuing permits by March, 2014. I receive the bulletins from the ISRA (as a Benefactor Life Member) and what I have read is not encouraging. The cost is high and the amount of training is based on many different criteria. The fee for the permit is set by the state but the training fee is established by the trainer. I see this to be a way to deplete your wallet by come of the less that reputable trainers. There are many good people be certified but as with other course there are those that see this as a high profit area. The Chicago Democrats are the problem as they keep screwing around with the laws. The Cook County Sheriff is now playing the game also. Until Illinois recognizes other states' CCW, skip it. (My point of reference is living 22 years in Naperville, IL. - I am very pleased to be living here in Indiana as a retired gentleman)

Top Bottom