• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redhawk44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    SW Michigan
    does Indiana issue concealed carry permits to non residents?

I live in Mi., but close to the IN. border and get to In. a lot. I have a daughter that lives in Plainfield in. and I would like to have an In. concealed carry permit when I go to visit her.

Now, it is probably unnecessary because I have a Mi. CPL, and I understand that In. honors our CPLs, but I would just be more comfortable if I have one from the state that I am driving in.

If anyone here knows the skinny on this, can you fill me in please? Thanks for any input.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    As far as I know there isn't one because we honor all license/permits. And if you get pulled over you don't have to inform the officer that you are carrying. If you never bring it up they will never know.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP, if you have your MI license/permit, you have no need for one in Indiana.

Also, Indiana doesn't specify concealed vs. open carry.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    They don't but they (loosely?) require your method of carry to be consistent with the out of state license you have IIRC

IC 35-47-2-21 Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states

Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states orforeign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana. [Emphasis added.]

However, when I was working we weren't particularly picky about whether the foreign licensee was carrying concealed or openly, just that he or she was licensed. On the other hand, you might always run into that "one guy," but, this isn't New Jersey.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    IC 35-47-2-21 Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states

Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states orforeign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana. [Emphasis added.]

However, when I was working we weren't particularly picky about whether the foreign licensee was carrying concealed or openly, just that he or she was licensed. On the other hand, you might always run into that "one guy," but, this isn't New Jersey.

The officer would also have to know the laws of the issuing state/country...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

...which when the permit states "Concealed Carry Permit" will give the astute officer a clue as to one aspect of the foreign law.

...but we had a long discussion about this a couple of years ago. No definitive conclusions were reached, but we were all very positive of out divergent positions.

As the OP was asking about a "concealed carry permit", something tells me the open vs. closed debate isn't much of a concern for him.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

No. Some states require concealment as a term of the license. Some require the carrying of only certain weapons as a term of the license.

Texas, for example, requires the wearing of pointy elf boots and a big, silly hat as a term of the license so one must wear his elf boots and big hat while in Indiana.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No. Some states require concealment as a term of the license. Some require the carrying of only certain weapons as a term of the license.

Texas, for example, requires the wearing of pointy elf boots and a big, silly hat as a term of the license so one must wear his elf boots and big hat while in Indiana.

Cite, please?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Cite, please?

Rich Texan. A man that cannot live without passion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom