• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i have fielded alot of questions about nonmetallic knives lately. so here is a breif rundown:

first and foremost: follow ALL laws and rules relegating weapons in area which they are not allowed.

one to the knives themselves. they can be made of any type of material which is nonferris (nonmetallic) and rigid. think toothbrushes in prison and such.

high impact plastic, wood, composites, carbon fiber, g10, plexiglass, ceramic........ a whole list of things.

they are made for teh following role: to be undetected by most standard scanning methods and to poke holes into things which allows blood to exit.

to be effective, it must be rigid, pointy, concealable, comfortable, lowkey, and the sheath must follow the same path. riveted sheaths equals metal.

i use g10 because it is STRONG and proven, and readily available. it will also take an edge, but i don't sharpen mine. they are designed to put large holes into things in a last ditch scenerio. and they do.

the knives work best on SOFT targets... eyes, throat, behind the knees, the stomach, armpits, lovehandles..... same places you would target with a steel knife. SOFT targets. you want a maximum blood loss, the neck and groin area are PRIME canidates for these reasons. lots of those little blood highways to puncture and get the bad guy feeling a little less bad.... hopefully!

does anyone have any questions on the reason for, deployment, or use of a nonmetallic knife?

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    hahahhhahha!!! but YOU understood it when i explained it! its the follow ups i get from people who wonder "well... so... i can't fillet a fish with it?"... THOSE guys need the lesson.

stab, withdraw, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat...........

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There are some expensive ceramic knives for the kitchen I've been wanting to buy and try. If any of you have experience with these knives, I sure would like to hear (read) what you think about them.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    can't say i've used ceramic in the kitchen! i would think chopping with them would be a craps shoot (ceramic is typically brittle, and not very good with shock).... but they slice like a mofo!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    There are some expensive ceramic knives for the kitchen I've been wanting to buy and try. If any of you have experience with these knives, I sure would like to hear (read) what you think about them.

I have a couple and yes they are on the fragile side impact wise they are sharp and stay sharp as crap. the don't rust at all which is nice, and the prices have come down considerably since when I bought mine.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    hahahhhahha!!! but YOU understood it when i explained it! its the follow ups i get from people who wonder "well... so... i can't fillet a fish with it?"... THOSE guys need the lesson.

stab, withdraw, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat...........

Those must be some nasty fish that they're filleting. Tough little buggers!!:@ya:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    does anyone have any questions on the reason for, deployment, or use of a nonmetallic knife?

All of the above. Do you find it often necessary to beat a metal detector? How do the techniques differ from a steel knife? More poking less slashing I assume. You have peaked my interest. Any further elaboration would be appreciated. Recommendations as well.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Let me anticipate the answers:

All of the above. Do you find it often necessary to beat a metal detector?
    NO.
    How do the techniques differ from a steel knife? More poking less slashing I assume.
    KALI, THIS IS NOT. THINK ICE PICK OR CROSS PEN TO THE EYE SOCKET.

You have peaked my interest. Any further elaboration would be appreciated. Recommendations as well.

The G10 examples cubby posted before looked VERY effective. Cold Steel markets (they make nothing other than videos) a line... "nightshade" I think? Plastic knives. Just remember... there is no "utility" for these these types of holdout weapons. One purpose and that is to stick/stab.

I'm rather fond of a metal pen, myself. :D NTSB approved. Good old Cross pen to the peephole of the malcontent on a plane. Course, I've only written notes with mine. :)

cross%20pens.jpg

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Pain, pressure and kubotan. Sure. Just no blood unless you hit the right spot like face/scalp.

yep. that can be used effectively for all the above, but if you need LETHAL force, you won't be puncturing anything with it. to get penetration you would need a taper of the object. think rifle bullet vs. bullet proof vest. the more pointed and thin the object, the less opposing force is there to stop it.

i don't ever find it neccessary to beat metal detectors. all laws apply! i have made a ton of NM knives for people whos job it is to not be detected (legally).

yes, these don't TYPICALLY slash or cut very well. more stabby, less flashy slashy. stab and repeat.

some people make them for cutting chores... but they suck at them. at least in the "softer" materials. now the ceramic knives and a few other can be sharp as all hell for while... but they are normally alot more expensive... and i see no benefit to having them sharp. in a "lethal force" scenerio stabbing is going to rule the day... all that kali stuff looks cool and is effective from a Master, but your average person will have better chance of survival if the STABSTABSTAB until the desired result is achieved. go Caveman on that ass!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    pens are NTSB safe, most of the time... some of the more "exotic" SD pens will get you attention, but most are just pens.

a sturdy steel, titianium, or other strong tube body pen will get you the same results. downfalls are often grip. they aren't designed (for the most part) to be held in icepick grip and thrust into an eyesocket. but they will. ;)

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have had a CS triangular model for about 18 years. I actually use them as Tarp stakes for camping.

I am more fond of the TItanium chopsticks or a good metal pen. I have a great NON-tactical pen made of steel with rubber in the center. Good grip to it, and it will do as much damage as the G10 with a lot less hassles later. Especially if I am in a restrictive environment.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Let me anticipate the answers:

The G10 examples cubby posted before looked VERY effective. Cold Steel markets (they make nothing other than videos) a line... "nightshade" I think? Plastic knives. Just remember... there is no "utility" for these these types of holdout weapons. One purpose and that is to stick/stab.

I'm rather fond of a metal pen, myself. :D NTSB approved. Good old Cross pen to the peephole of the malcontent on a plane. Course, I've only written notes with mine. :)

cross%20pens.jpg

That's good news. I always feel a little naked without something in my pocket that can be used for defense. Looks like my Benchmade 1100 will be flying with me.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    Just look for a lettuce knife. There are all kinds of non metallic choices out there and can be found at most local department stores. There are all sizes and shapes available most are under $10. Reshape as needed.

Top Bottom