• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    I'm planning on starting the Appalachian Trail with my son (who is 10) next spring. I think we'd like to start at the south end in Georgia and break it up into manageable day hikes at first. If he's stoked about the whole deal then we'll do sections every year as a father/son ritual. I'm looking for any info, wisdom that can be offered from those who have laid foot on the AT. I think for our first trek in the spring maybe it would be better to day hike from trail head to towns where we could spend the night in a motel or something ? This thought is solely based on my thinking our first trip should be a light pack hike- so no tents or sleeping bags or cooking utes. Thoughts ?

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    warangel -- The AT has been one of my life long dreams (maybe the only one)... Lot's of good books on the trail out there; as well as web sites. The AT HQ is in Harper's Ferry, WV; might begin looking for info there. If you're going to be doing day hikes, may want to start in the middle somewhere; little easier hiking and more chances to find rooms (the ends are pretty sparse; far as roads and towns). Just my 2-cents off the top of my head. Good Luck and have fun.... Greg/Grizhicks

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Just some advice, if you are going to section hike it, do it according to the weather, not just linear fashion. There are some miserable sections if you catch them the wrong time of the year.

Other than that, there's several great websites DEVOTED to hiking the AT, I recommend looking at some of them, a quick google search will bring up lots of info.

I think it's a great father-son activity. I hope he sticks with it when he's old enough to not have to do what dad says.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I've hiked a half dozen segments of the AT in several day expeditions with a small group of friends of mine.

My advice?

If your intention is to hike it all, you'll never get it done day hiking it. It is ROUGH, especially once you get in the Appallachians down south. The elevation is something most Hoosiers aren't ready for.

If you want my advice, do a starter trip down to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park with him and hike it for a few days. You'll see how rough it can be.

A good pair of shoes and a good tent are essential. Learn how to pack lightly and you'll help yourself.

In Indiana you can hike many, many miles - 15 + - in a day. On the AT there have been days I've struggled to do 5 or 6 due to elevation. The AT is not like what we have here in Indiana. Try some hiking in the Deam wilderness, then imagine it is 3 X harder.

I'm not trying to discourage you by any means -I have intentions of doing the same. However, there aren't a lot of areas you can get in and out of in a day that aren't already populated heavily of people doing the same thing. If you really want to experience the trail you have to hike to the parts the day hikers don't frequent.

And starting by hotel hopping might be ok - I've never done those parts. You kind of need to feel for how tolerant you are of camping in wet weather in a tent - it happens - and it isn't fun if you're not prepared or hardy.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    A T Trail

If you have netflix i believe National Geograph did a 90 min movie on the trek. Just some stuff as they followed some people. maybe not gear specific but would help get the juices flowing till you get to go. I also highly recomend REI for gear also if you want they have "vacations" that would be all planed out for you in the AT, might want to look at that for some guidance even if you dont use them. just my thoughts:twocents:
    Have a great time and keep us informed and take lots of pictures.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Plan out Post Offices along your route that are about where you would want a Supply Replenishment, and mail Packages of Supplies to yourself with a Hold at those PO's...

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Awesome advice - Thanks to all. I am so stoked about planning this trip.

Thanks "Balinor" for the info on the NatGeo movie about the AT. I watched it the other night and it was very informative.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    With a 10 year old the AT is going to be a tough road. If he is 100 pounds then his pack is going to be 25 pounds max maybe less. Lots of stuff you need to leave or carry Yourself.

Back in the day the girl i was with might have been 125 wet in clothes. She could pack and load up like a pack mule so that was not a problem.

Versailles state park in the southeast of the state has some HARD trails. No elevation changes to speak of but for state park trails they are rather difficult. The hoosier national has some good loops.

The AP is the best trail east of the Rockies. The area in WV would make a good day hike trip hotel or hostel to hotel. Most of the area is trail/hiker friendly and will have everything you need.

The area in georgia around blood mountian was just horrible for me at the start. So i chilled out with a white water rafting trip. I think that area is about 28 miles with not much other than trail. I mention the area because of the connection trails down in the area that are about 6 - 8 miles long.

Once we got up around Nantahala we did another raft trip where we took a train up river then rafted down and stayed at the INN, it was a great time.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I know this is bringing back an old thread. Are you still planning a hike on the Appalachian trail? If so I have some books from back when I hiked over half of it in the 1970's We several years ago and are going through some of the old stuff. Some of the information in the books would be outdated but there still is a lot that would be useful.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    I know this is bringing back an old thread. Are you still planning a hike on the Appalachian trail? If so I have some books from back when I hiked over half of it in the 1970's We several years ago and are going through some of the old stuff. Some of the information in the books would be outdated but there still is a lot that would be useful.

Thanks for the offer - any info/literature would be greatly appreciated.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I grew up in the georgia mountains in a place called Vogel State park. There are many trails that connect the park to the AT. At the park you can rent a camp site where there are shower facilities and a store there. The trail even runs right next to a store on top of blood mountain or it did when I was younger. Check this out its been awhile since I lived there. But it was a wonderful time growing up there and meeting all the fascinating people youll meet along the trail.

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I have heard that some people will do the Knobstone trail to train for the AT. It starts near the Ohio river and goes north. I have heard that they are trying to extend it further north but have not heard any updates lately. I love the trails we have at our state parks too. Clifty Falls and Versailles have some of my favorites.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    whiteblaze.com
    I've done part and my former stepson is going back in the spring to finish the southern part up to Harpers Ferry. He did the north end a few years ago.
    Have fun.

Bob

Top Bottom