• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    so i am a noob and have never sold a firearm and i am looking to do so.. i want to sell a rifle and i would like to know what the rules are and what i need to do.. im guessing i don't just go meet the guy, he gives me the cash, then i give him the gun.. Any info is appreciated

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    im guessing i don't just go meet the guy, he gives me the cash, then i give him the gun..

Legally that is mostly it. Sales between consenting adults in Indiana do not need to go through a dealer nor is there a records keeping requirement. You are required to determine the person you are selling to can legally possess a firearm. Most folks do this by at least viewing the buyer's Indiana drivers license and often his License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH).

Having said that, many people will use some kind of bill of sale recording the buyer's name, contact info etc. it is up to you and your comfort level. One of the benefits of this site is being able to see a person's past activity and relying on that in part to determine if they are a "proper person".

Syxxthkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    .. im guessing i don't just go meet the guy, he gives me the cash, then i give him the gun.. Any info is appreciated
    that about sums it up, in Indiana the gun laws are pretty laid back, If you have a bad feeling about the guy like he shouldnt have a gun then dont sell it to him, otherwise its no big deal

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    that about sums it up, in Indiana the gun laws are pretty laid back, If you have a bad feeling about the guy like he shouldnt have a gun then dont sell it to him, otherwise its no big deal
    That is true, if it was a handgun you atleast want to ask if they can posses a gun if they do not have an LTCH

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    Then it has to go thru an FFL.

He comes over the state line or you go there, it is trafficking a firearm with intent to sell out of state.

thats good to know... considering pne of the guys who made me the offer lives in Illinois

Last edited:

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    thats good to know... considering pne of the guys who made me the offer lives in Illinois

Been in this EXACT scenario myself, that's how I know.

Board I posted my question on wasnt near as nice with the replies.

Nothing like being accused of a straw gun sell/buy when all you are guilty of being is ignorant of the laws.

Years ago though and time marches on. :rockwoot:

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    Been in this EXACT scenario myself, that's how I know.

Board I posted my question on wasnt near as nice with the replies.

Nothing like being accused of a straw gun sell/buy when all you are guilty of being is ignorant of the laws.

Years ago though and time marches on. :rockwoot:

hey we all have to start somewhere right :yesway:

Top Bottom