• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I don't intend to try custom loads for a while until I'm comfortable reloading. I just want to basically mimic middle-of-the-road bulk ammo. I plan to reload .45 auto, 5.56, and .308. With that in mind, is there any one powder that's kind of a jack of all trades? Something that will do just fine in each of these and is popular enough to be in most reloading manuals. Or do I need a dedicated pistol and dedicated rifle powder? Thanks in advance.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    For those three rounds, to mimic typical factory ammo, you will be best served with three different powders. You could find a single powder to use for the 5.56 and 308, but it will be a compromise; on the slow side for lighter bullets in 5.56 or on the fast side for heavier bullets in 308.

You can use a 16oz framing hammer for everything from hanging pictures to splitting wood with a wedge...but you're better off to buy a tack hammer and a sledge so you can always use the correct tool for the job.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Check out AA2015 for the .223 & .308. In the back of my Accurate manual it has service rifle loads, there are quite a few powders that can be used for both.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Varget will do both rifle calibers, and win 231 or hp38 is a great powder for almost all handgun calibers.

The thing with using 1 powder for different rifles is 1 may love it, and the other may hate it. Powders are like holsters...if you don't have a drawer full of them for different applications, you're doing it wrong.

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    There are some excellent powders that work in both .223 and .308. I have a list of 9mm/.45ACP if interested.
    Accurate 2015*
    Accurate 2200*
    Accurate 2230*
    Accurate 2460*
    Accurate 2520*
    Accurate 5744*
    Alliant AR-Comp*
    Alliant Reloder 10X*
    Alliant Reloder 15*
    Hodgdon H322*
    Hodgdon H335*
    Hodgdon Benchmark*
    Hodgdon BL-C(2)*
    Hodgdon CFE 223*
    Hodgdon H4895*
    Hodgdon Varget*
    IMR 3031*
    IMR 4064*
    IMR 4320*
    IMR 4895*
    IMR 8208 XBR*
    Ramshot TAC*
    Ramshot X-Terminator*
    Vihtavuori N133*
    Vihtavuori N135*
    Vihtavuori N140*
    Winchester 748*

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You won't find one powder for both the rifle and pistol. I don't reload rifle so can't help you. But 45 acp is very forgiving and most popular pistol powders have reloading data available. Clays, Bullseye, Unique, Win231 are all fine choices with a lot of load data.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I find that I want to mention that the discussion about Varget may be a academic. Unless you folks have found a hidden stash of it someplace. It's easy enough to find a powder that works in 9mm and .45. Winchester 231 is my personal choice. Right now I'm playing with IMR 4064 in 308, and H335 for .223.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    H4985
    Universal

Widely useful, easy for a beginner, maybe not "the best" for specific applications, but after >20 years of reloading I won't be without either one.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    H4985
    Universal

Widely useful, easy for a beginner, maybe not "the best" for specific applications, but after >20 years of reloading I won't be without either one.

Kludge, you are talking about Universal clays powder from Hodgdon for pistol & shotgun only right?

Lots of good medium heat range rifle powders out there. Lots of good, versatile pistol powders out there. Too bad no powder is applicable that can cover both. I did have a time when 95% of my pistol, shotgun and rifle reloading was covered by Hodgdons TiteGroup and Varget. It was easy to save a buck ordering 4 kegs at a time. I wonder if we will ever see those days again?

Varget and H4895 are so close in specs and performance, I really don't understand why the same company sells both.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Kludge, you are talking about Universal clays powder from Hodgdon for pistol & shotgun only right?

Correct.

Lots of good medium heat range rifle powders out there. Lots of good, versatile pistol powders out there. Too bad no powder is applicable that can cover both. I did have a time when 95% of my pistol, shotgun and rifle reloading was covered by Hodgdons TiteGroup and Varget. It was easy to save a buck ordering 4 kegs at a time. I wonder if we will ever see those days again?

Varget and H4895 are so close in specs and performance, I really don't understand why the same company sells both.

I doubt we will see those days again. Heck I'd be happy with $20 bricks of .22LR -- that's twice what I paid the last time I bought any. TiteGroup burns too fast for my tastes, and Varget too slow -- its not the best choice for light bullets in some cartridges. But they do have a myriad of appications. Universal is my favorite pistol powder and will get close to top (but not usually THE top) level performance in most (non-magnum) handguns and burns very very very very cleanly. Among the lowest flash powders too. H4895 is what Universal is to handguns.

Top Bottom