noob question... flicking open a folder?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I don't agree with this at all. Most quality modern folders are built just as strong if not stronger then a lot of fixed blades. Unless your talking about your grandpas old slip joint case knife or similar. Then I agree, the only thing that they are good for it cutting string, or picking dirt out from under your fingernails after planting your Pansy's in the garden. :D

The sound of a good solid lock up of a titanium frame lock being flipped open is just as sweet of a sound as a pump shot gun being racked. IMHO

I look at it this way, no matter if you spend $20 or $400 on a folding knife, you should use it the way you want to use it. Who cares if it wears out in 2 years instead of 5. Thats why i carry at least one back up all the time anyway. And That just gives you the excuses to go buy another one. :)

:rolleyes:Listen here you young whipper snapper, there has been more hard core work done by Case knives in the history of man kind than all of the new "tactical cool" knives combine. Don't be pickin on Case Knives. :D

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't agree with this at all. Most quality modern folders are built just as strong if not stronger then a lot of fixed blades. Unless your talking about your grandpas old slip joint case knife or similar. Then I agree, the only thing that they are good for it cutting string, or picking dirt out from under your fingernails after planting your Pansy's in the garden. :D

The sound of a good solid lock up of a titanium frame lock being flipped open is just as sweet of a sound as a pump shot gun being racked. IMHO

I look at it this way, no matter if you spend $20 or $400 on a folding knife, you should use it the way you want to use it. Who cares if it wears out in 2 years instead of 5. Thats why i carry at least one back up all the time anyway. And That just gives you the excuses to go buy another one. :)

LOLOLOL.

Let's see you take your $400 folding knife and hammer it through cinder blocks, or hammer it into a tree to use to stand on, or start batoning hard wood with it in sub-zero temperatures. Maybe do some heavy prying with it.

LOLOLOL.

I'm here to tell you... EVERY folding knife starts out BROKEN IN THE MIDDLE. Period. There is not one out there that isn't broken in the middle.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    LOLOLOL.

Let's see you take your $400 folding knife and hammer it through cinder blocks, or hammer it into a tree to use to stand on, or start batoning hard wood with it in sub-zero temperatures. Maybe do some heavy prying with it.

LOLOLOL.

I'm here to tell you... EVERY folding knife starts out BROKEN IN THE MIDDLE. Period. There is not one out there that isn't broken in the middle.

I would put my ZT 301 folder against any fixed blade of same size in any of the task you mentioned. And not sweat it. Just saying. The cinder block would ruin both blades the same and would not damage my frame lock one bit.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I would put my ZT 301 folder against any fixed blade of same size in any of the task you mentioned. And not sweat it. Just saying. The cinder block would ruin both blades the same and would not damage my frame lock one bit.

Not familiar with Bussekin knives, are you?

Your folder cannot stand up to the abuse a similar sized Busse can withstand.

I flat guarantee it.

You can "just saying" all you want.

You're flat wrong.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I unfortunately agree that a folder will not stand up to the abuse of a fixed blade. they aren't designed too. but it's always better to have some proof :) zt0300 destruction video. also about the same size a strider db in 3v. It honestly doesn't matter if it's busse, strider, grayman, bark river, esee. any well crafted fixed blade with a good heat treat will out last a folder. it's been proven many times. the only folder that can come close to taking the abuse of a fixed blade is the extrema ration RAO and that is because once you put the piece in the hand guard it can no longer fold. last video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwK4els09g[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPgSOQY4CDk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiBtHGfgZLI[/ame]

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    To be fair, a ZT folder will stand up to 99% of the jobs most people would ever want a knife to do. They are good knives, and I don't mean to dog them. They just aren't fixed blades.

And I'll agree with Grunt Soldier in re: Grayman, Strider, Bark River and the rest... I just haven't owned any of those (yet), but I'm very familiar with the Bussekin lines of knives, having owned many, and still having a few.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I am a fan of bussekin knifes and will soon own my first. I know that no folder is a fixed blade. But was just trying to say that for everyday ltask that modern folders are just about as strong as any fixed blade.

And for the record, I love the strider DB. After the first time I saw the video that grunt posted above I had to have one and picked one up. It's a beast of a knife for what it is.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am a fan of bussekin knifes and will soon own my first. I know that no folder is a fixed blade. But was just trying to say that for everyday ltask that modern folders are just about as strong as any fixed blade.

And for the record, I love the strider DB. After the first time I saw the video that grunt posted above I had to have one and picked one up. It's a beast of a knife for what it is.

For everyday tasks, yeah. You'd be right.

But "...hammer it through cinder blocks, or hammer it into a tree to use to stand on, or start batoning hard wood with it in sub-zero temperatures. Maybe do some heavy prying with it..."

are not everyday tasks.

Top Bottom