• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smcgee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    Greenville
    Hey fellow gun lovers ! I want to ask about some optics for my Christmas Present a G26 and before we all start stating your likes and dislikes I want to state my particular scenario so it may narrow down the seasoned veterans recommendations. I have a retina disease called Retinitis Pigmentosa which is a slow deteriation of my retina which I was diagnosed while serving in the USMC back in 1992. It has my vision down to 10 degrees bilaterally which with glasses my central vision is correctable to 20/25 but I have noticed that its hard to focus on my front sights and my target picture at the same time. I want to try a red dot or green dot but not certain if this is ideal for with my disability. I'm getting my baby glock thru the blue label dealer in my area soon and I would like to find a economical dot because I can't swing the equivalent $$ for like a crimson trace which in my brief search seems to be top of the line which I don't think I'll be in market to purchase anytime soon so my question is what do you guys think would be good or better then taping a laser presentation pointer with duct tape under the barrel? Do people sale these used often? What's the ones to watch out for and stay away from. I feel this would be way better then night sights God forbid I ever need to use at night in a JAM I know you get what you pay for but if I ever win the lottery and can afford a dot I'd like to know fellow Hoosiers point of view and recommendations both good and bad. Also if you know of an angel tree for disabled veterans for optics guide me in that direction !! Seriously thanks for any feedback

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The green dot was designed for shooters that are color blind. So, since that is not your challenge, choosing green or red dot would be a personal preference, nothing more.

I have an AR with a $50 red dot on it, it has held zero since I mounted it. Would it survive a drop from 5 feet? No. The more expensive ones will of course. Seems to me with red dots you get what you pay for.

It depends on what your intended use is. Set a maximum price and go shopping.

Good luck.

smcgee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    Greenville
    What's the proper terminology ? Optics red dots green dots lasers? & what type do you have Indy? Of course I would he
    ope not to drop it but once again unless the price for donating plasma goes way up I see no crimson trace in near future!

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Might seem like a strange question, but how do you want to mount the optic? Most of the mounts I have seen run a decent chunk of change. The FastFire mount seems to be a decent option, but you are still looking at almost $250 total.

Sight-Mount makes a rear sight replacement with picatinny rail for $85+, but I know little about the company or their product.

If you already have a way to put the sight on the top rail, the FastFire is one of the least expensive options I am aware of that is designed to go on a slide.

OTOH, if you are looking for a laser to mount on the lower rail there are considerably less expensive options.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Your original post stated optics but it seems you are looking for a laser because you keep referring to Crimson Trace. I don't have any experience with lasers mounted on pistols.

smcgee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    Greenville
    I think , more I read laser and more then likely bottom mount for G26 I do apologize I shouldn't have used optics. I wouldn't have to go with night sights if I get a decent laser and could save the difference between fixed and night towards a laser. I just wonder what the best and worse would be soi can figure out a decent budget laser. I mentioned Crimson Trace becauseb that's the first one a search came back with and now I'm learning proper laser terminology I see laser max also but I don't want to buy a pos either so this is where the readers here may be able to guide me!

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have used the LaserMax without issue, but I don't know if I would depend on it as I'm was constantly worried about accidental activation wearing out the battery. Also, if you plan on holstering the Glock, your options can get pretty limited with a unit that goes on the lower rail.

Other options include the grip-mount, rear-sight, and guide-rod designs. My wife used a grip-mount unit for a short while and never had a complaint, but I think her accuracy suffered as she started "chasing the dot."

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    What is your budget? Being a 26, rail mounted lasers are going to be a no go. The LaserMax is ok, but I much prefer a Crimson Trace. Pending on how much you have to spend, you might find a used one within your budget.

smcgee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    Greenville
    No reply means I think I'm not in range then I assume, any options and price range would help so I can save up, may just go with night sights and hope for the best.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The only alternative I can suggest would cost more than $150. It would cost more than your gun, but buy once, cry once. Mill your slide and put an RMR on it.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have crimson trace on a Sig P229. Nice laser for a pistol, holds zero, easy to see except under extremely bright light. Would I trust them with my life? No. That's what sights are for.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have a Leapers / UTG combo light laser and it's actually worked OK. It doesn't like to stay zero'd on an AR but on a 22 it is fine. It's more of a toy for me though. I'm not sure I'd use it for any serious work. Right now it helps me find the matching sock in the drawer + exercise the cats.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Ok, for a handgun as small as the G26 I wouldn't want a mounted optic (like an RMR, or any dot/reflex sight) For a full-size gun, I wouldn't mind one.

I have used (and liked) Crimson Trace laser GRIPS and laser GUARDS (separately, of course). The crimson trace laser guard mounts to the trigger guard, and the laser grip fits on the back of the grip, near the top, just below the slide. Just google those two products.

To clarify on terminology - a red dot optic/reflex sights does not project any laser or "dot" beyond the inside lens of the optic. These are fun, but add size and weight to a handgun, especially one on a limited budget. (a $500 unit is much more trim and durable, a $100 unit, not so much). On the other hand, a laser, such as the Crimson trace, only projects a laser on to the target but doesn't provide any different aiming mechanism to look through.
    So with a laser, you'll typically use your regular sights and see the dot on target as confirmation. It is actually very slow if you ONLY follow the laser, standard sights are much faster. Lasers are particularly handy when firing from odd positions or if you can't present the gun like normal (from hip, etc.)

I would get a Crimson trace laser grip. It's just a bit beyond your budget, but it seems like a good option. Look for them used here on INGO

smcgee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    Greenville
    Thanks a lot I have been researching more info from all your leads and I think I will just go with night sights and forget any laser or optics, I may go with some on my XD since it has rail system. I will keep a look out here on InGO for sure or go with a sponsered site.

Top Bottom