• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I have came across someone with a few hundred rounds of what I beleive to be norinco 7.62 and I was wondering if this stuff is worth anything because I'v been told it can not be imported anymore due to the steel core. I was also wondering how I could confirm that this is the steel core norinco rounds thats are "armor peircing".

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Weren't there some with copper plated steel jackets, rather than solid steel, or has my memory failed me yet again? I know I have some old Norinco where the pointy end sticks to a magnet, but not very strongly.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    they are NOT true AP rounds they will do better than standard ball BUT not like SS109
    .556 is .........

This. It is a soft steel core and not a hardened penetrator. The Russian ammo has a bimetal jacket which is also soft steel with a copper coating. Russian ammo will attract a magnet and is not legal for many shooting sports because of it :xmad:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, I have a pantload of those SS109s, those are sweet. I tried to make a cross section with a file once, and I think I was wearing the file more than the core.

indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    i tested regular 7.62x39 ball vs steel core in 3 inch thick aluminum they did better but not much it has been written that the steel core has better soft tissue wounding than lead core ball ammo due to a center of gravity change like the difference between roundnose and spitzer bullet designs BUt rate of twist also play in that game ......

indymadcaster

Top Bottom