• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I have came across someone with a few hundred rounds of what I beleive to be norinco 7.62 and I was wondering if this stuff is worth anything because I'v been told it can not be imported anymore due to the steel core. I was also wondering how I could confirm that this is the steel core norinco rounds thats are "armor peircing".

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Weren't there some with copper plated steel jackets, rather than solid steel, or has my memory failed me yet again? I know I have some old Norinco where the pointy end sticks to a magnet, but not very strongly.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    they are NOT true AP rounds they will do better than standard ball BUT not like SS109
    .556 is .........

This. It is a soft steel core and not a hardened penetrator. The Russian ammo has a bimetal jacket which is also soft steel with a copper coating. Russian ammo will attract a magnet and is not legal for many shooting sports because of it :xmad:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, I have a pantload of those SS109s, those are sweet. I tried to make a cross section with a file once, and I think I was wearing the file more than the core.

indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    i tested regular 7.62x39 ball vs steel core in 3 inch thick aluminum they did better but not much it has been written that the steel core has better soft tissue wounding than lead core ball ammo due to a center of gravity change like the difference between roundnose and spitzer bullet designs BUt rate of twist also play in that game ......

indymadcaster

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom