• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    Looking at getting a norinco M1A. Anyone have any does or donts based on experience?

If so what should I be looking at paying new and or used?

This will be a range gun not looking to take it out and beat the hell out of it. Maybe a 100 rounds per session, slow to medium paced fire. Nothing too stressful.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Looking at getting a norinco M1A. Anyone have any does or donts based on experience?

If so what should I be looking at paying new and or used?

This will be a range gun not looking to take it out and beat the hell out of it. Maybe a 100 rounds per session, slow to medium paced fire. Nothing too stressful.

I had one years ago. It was alright. I heard warnings of headspace problems, but mine was fine. I never tried swapping parts with GI replacements, so I don't know if everything swaps out. I just never bonded with that rifle, so got rid of it after a few years.

bigjross2002

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    I think they can be had for around 700-800 dollars. In my opinion you would be better off to buy a Springfield. As far as GI parts I believe that Fulton armory can do some work on the receiver and make it GI compatable. But again by the time you invest in all that just buy a Springfield or Fulton.

Hawk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Howes Cave, NY
    It would be wise to keep an eye on the headspace. Chinese bolts have been reported to be softer than USGI bolts. In order to use a USGI bolt, the receiver will need some modification to it. There are several smiths out there that can do the cionversion.

Norinco receivers can also be soft. best to have it checked. Mine needed to be reheat treated.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I paid $600 for a Norinco and 2,500 rounds of .308 a few years ago. I sent it to Texas for a refit.

Home

I can advise that when you install Vortex flash suppressor . . . ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE CORRECT HEIGHT FRONT SIGHT!:D

mikebaker1129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Houston ,TX
    I love the Chinese M14s,they were a good bang for the buck when you could get them for $700 or less. I would say that they are on par with a current SA offering.
    Have the headspace checked,but keep in mind these are chambered for 7.62 Nato even tough they say .308. There is a difference,make sure whoever checks your headspace uses 7.62 gauges.
    Hope this helps....

Top Bottom