• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    I know they have listing on gunbroker, but I figured I would ask here to see if anyone has any first hand recommendations.

I'm looking for an FFL holder in Lake County Indiana.

Anyone have recommendations? Feel free to PM me any e-mail addresses / phone numbers.

Thanks.

to the mods, not really sure where this should go. Feel free to move it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The lowest priced guy fro transfers is Chuck Ivy at CNI in Crown Point. He's on the N.W. corner of the courthouse square next door to the Crown Theater. He only works short hours, has a very small shop, does a lot of transfers and doesn't stock much, but he's good to work with.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    The lowest priced guy fro transfers is Chuck Ivy at CNI in Crown Point. He's on the N.W. corner of the courthouse square next door to the Crown Theater. He only works short hours, has a very small shop, does a lot of transfers and doesn't stock much, but he's good to work with.

Just call before you go becuase I thought CNI went out of business.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008

i think he shut up shop last i heard after nate passed away

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    CNI is open again doing limited business. Like melen said, short hours.

The best place for xfers around here if you like dealing with a brick and mortar shop. You can drop it from chucks $25 to 20 bucks if you deal with one of the many local guys who operate out of their house.

Other than that, blythes and Deb's will rape you on a transfer as will westforthe. Chuck at CNI is the only shop I'll bother with in Lake county. I'll drive to mishiwaka or goshen before blythes or westforthe... and I do several times a year.

Warwagon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I'll drive to mishiwaka or goshen before blythes or westforthe... and I do several times a year.

If you want a shorter drive, Class III sales in New Carlisle does transfer's. They're right on the laPorte/St J county line off of Route 20 just before you go into New carlisle. I've used them A LOT and have never had a hassle or anything to complain about.

they even have a range and rent full auto stuff.

Just a thought.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    You're in Hammond? Then I'd recommend Westforth Sports in Gary.

Westforth Sports Shop
    4704 Roosevelt St.
    Gary, IN
    (219)980-0680

They're right off Route 55/Taft/Main or whatever it's called. You can take Ridge east to that street, go south, two or three traffic lights and there'll be a big sign announcing 'turn here for Westforth Sports.'

I've used them before to send off a gun I sold, no complaints.
    (edit) this cost me $35 if I remember correctly. I don't particularly feel raped.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just call before you go becuase I thought CNI went out of business.
    i think he shut up shop last i heard after nate passed away
    C.N.I. is open, but typically only there from about 10am to about 3pm. Somedays he is there longer, somedays shorter. He is only there on weekends that there is no gun show. He seems to pack up the shop and go to the bigger shows. Transfers are costing me $25. He did close up when his son died, he's back. Shop is open.

He's trying to sell the building and his houses and move to Arkansas where he owns property. He plans to retire there. I expect that will take him longer than he'd like it to take and will probably be around for the summer months?

You're in Hammond? Then I'd recommend Westforth Sports in Gary.
    . . .
    I've used them before to send off a gun I sold, no complaints.
    (edit) this cost me $35 if I remember correctly. I don't particularly feel raped.
    They told me $45 when I went in there, I explained I do a lot of transfers on older guns and told them I was shopping for a dealer to help me. I had them do 1 transfer for me during the time Chuck was closed. They hit me for $45 and would not budge. At $45 each that is an outrage. I bought 3 more guns from them on 2 other trips to test them out, one was a special order stock gun, the other two were off their racks. Not bad deals but not good. Their attitude on pricing transfers really bothered me. I did feel raped. I typically do several dozen transfers a year. They also didn't seem particularly knowledgable about the guns. I prefer to deal with experts who know of what they speak. After a couple crummy experiences with them I had 3 guns shipped out to 21st Century Firearms in Bluffton and did 3 transfers for less than Westforth charges for 1 transfer. Long drive, 3 hours to get there. But it is very likely that I will make that trip a couple times a year. Westforth, nope. I'll pass on those folks unless there is NO other choice.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    i have used cash indiana inthe past, but you hasve to call ahead and talk to Jeff before the gun is shipped there. Jeff is the only one who deals with guns.
    phone number 219-787-8311. they are on 20 in burns harber

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Last I knew Westforth wanted $50 and wouldn't budge. Do the gunbroker search and start e-mailing any who sound interesting and you can probably get it done for $15 - $20. I WILL NOT PAY SOMEONE 50 - 75 bucks for a transfer. One local shop told me they do that because people get stuff off the net that they have in stock. When I told them I mostly get older, unavailable stuff they still wouldn't budge. You would think they would take something rather than nothing.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    One local shop told me they do that because people get stuff off the net that they have in stock. When I told them I mostly get older, unavailable stuff they still wouldn't budge. You would think they would take something rather than nothing.

TOTALLY AGREE with you!!!

Most of the transfers I do are on guns that are 20 to 30 years old and long out of production.

I actually understand a dealer who wants to smack me for $50 for a transfer from CDNN or another of those types of places, or even a Gunbroker gun that is a new production model and commonly available. The dealer probably has that same gun, or has access to the same gun and can get it for you. So I don't have any problem with a dealer hitting me for $40 or $50 on a new production gun.

What I have a problem with is that type of fee on an older gun that is no longer available, or for multiple transfers of old guns (collections), etc.

I know that Chuck at CNI was charging different prices for transfers. $50 for a new production gun and $25 for an old gun. For multiple guns he gives a break if the guns are out of production. He also gives breaks for collection transfers, etc.

I'll never forget the day I was in there, last summer, a guy walks in really cocky with a major attitude. He wants a gun and Chuck has it in his case. The guy says he can get it for $65 less from CDNN. Chuck asks him what the shipping cost is, the guy said about $25. Then Chuck says that he'll charge him $100 transfer fee so the actual cost of the CDNN is actually $45 more than Chuck will charge!!! The guy sort of turned green. But I don't blame CNI at all for doing that, the guy was really a jerk. He probably ended up at Blythes with a $50 transfer fee and $20 to 25 shipping!!!

If you want a new gun, then go to the local dealer, see what he can do for you. Chances are that after you add in your shipping costs, credit card fees, transfers, etc then your local dealer will end up at the same price as you think you can get the gun for from an internet source. JMO but if we don't support the local guys then we will lose them and end up stuck shopping for really high priced guns at Cabelas or Gander Mtn.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    What, $45 or 50 for a transfer? That's a bit steep yes. I thought $35 was a bit high, but I'm willing to pay that if the store is conveniently located and doesn't otherwise annoy me. And I happen to like Westforth's.

The last time I sent off a gun through them was four months ago, right before Christmas. So perhaps they've had a change of pricing policy recently? Perhaps it's a question of which employee you happen to ask. NWIeng, I would still try Westforth's in your place, rather than driving three hours away; just call first to check if I'm still right about the pricing..

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    Use the search!

If you live up around NWI way, try Dennis at: glshooters@gmail.com

Dennis is a straight-up, stand-up guy and a really great guy to deal with, and charges a meer $15 for a transfer. He also refuses to deal (sales, transfers, socialize, etc.) with anyone of "questionable character". So, you can be certain he's doing all he can to help out the good guys and keep access to guns away from the not-so-good-guys.

I bought a handgun from a dealer in South Carolina, found Dennis' name on the GunsAmerica.com website, and Dennis did the transfer for me. I didn't know him prior to this, but we're definitely friends now!

I recommend Dennis, and Great Lakes Shooters (hence the e-mail addy) quite highly. Tell him J.B. had ya call.

Hope this helps a bit, friends.

J.B.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I know that Chuck at CNI was charging different prices for transfers. $50 for a new production gun and $25 for an old gun. For multiple guns he gives a break if the guns are out of production. He also gives breaks for collection transfers, etc.

Are you sure about that? Last my wife and I dealt with him (about a year ago now I guess) it was $25. :dunno:

+1 to the -1 on westforth, as I said earlier in this thread crappy service and way overpriced.

Top Bottom