NOT Adult enough to select your own beverage ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If this has been discussed already I appologize.

It just realy ticks me off that once again BIG GOVERNMENT thinks they have the right to step in and tell adult Americans what to do and how to drink.

These alcohol drinks with caffeine in them are being threatened by the government. Ive never had one of these powerful drinks but if I wanted to I KNOW its not the governments place to tell me I cant. And thats just what they are trying to do. WTF??

You can go drink a fifth of everclear and kill yourself, but if you try to find one of these caffeine energy alcoholic drinks in the future you might be out of luck.

Does anyone besides me think this is again more oppressive and bigger government trying to push us around? Even if you dont drink any alcohol you should still have a BIG problem with the government telling you as an adult what you can buy to drink. like any alcohol is realy safe anyways :): but if it has caffeine in it, i guess its just too over the top for the feds.

They use college students as the prime example for why these need to be banned, but if they are over 21 then what right do they have to do this to them?

Time to just eliminate the drinking age anyways, or at least lower it to 18.

:xmad::xmad::xmad:

DustinG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    It's because they the elite think the sheep are too stupid to decide what's good and what's bad for them; the herder has to make laws to protect the sheep from the big bad wolves.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I agree, not only this but now they are wanting to tell you when you can talk on your cell phone as well! I love how they blame the company that makes the drink, rather than blaming the actions of the students that drank 4 in a row!!!! Why is it that companies fault that these idiots drank too much.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Once you concede that possession of a naturally occurring plant is the government's business, you pretty much concede everything in that arena.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Remember, there are several governments (federal, state and city) that think that firearms cause crime and want them banned.

I agree, you have the right to be stupid, but the government has no right telling you that you can't drink these drinks, when it is so easy to just take... oh say a whiskey and mix it with Pepsi Max.

Oh wait, what is in this glass next to my computer????

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    It's because they the elite think the sheep are too stupid to decide what's good and what's bad for them; the herder has to make laws to protect the sheep from the big bad wolves.

Most health and trauma statistics actually point to the fact that the average American is too stupid to know what's good for him/her. Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, obesity, alcohol related trauma/violence, crime, ect. We are destroying ourselves as a species, and finding better ways to do it everyday.

However, it's our God given right to do so... without the governments hindrance or intervention (one in the same)

I suppose it's kinda the idea behind IRobot huh?!?

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I have problems with this idea on several levels.

#1. It's none of the Governments business what someone put's in their body

#2. If someone is determined to get that "wide awake drunk" feeling, and they can't get 4 Loco , I'm pretty sure they can find something to snort, shoot or smoke that will do the trick nicely.

#3 I'm not a big fan of Darwin, but people should quit interfering with his "law".

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    The company that makes the stuff has agreed to remove the caffeine. Proving once again that a free market takes care of itself if it's left alone.

I was under the impression that they did that after the gov banned it. My understanding (and I could be wrong... it wasn't of that much interest to me, since I don't mix my beer and coffee) was that the company said they'd take the caffeine out after the ban, rather than stop producing it completely.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008

It just realy ticks me off that once again BIG GOVERNMENT thinks they have the right to step in and tell adult Americans what to do and how to drink.

These alcohol drinks with caffeine in them are being threatened by the government. Ive never had one of these powerful drinks but if I wanted to I KNOW its not the governments place to tell me I cant. And thats just what they are trying to do. WTF??

You can go drink a fifth of everclear and kill yourself, but if you try to find one of these caffeine energy alcoholic drinks in the future you might be out of luck.

Does anyone besides me think this is again more oppressive and bigger government trying to push us around? Even if you dont drink any alcohol you should still have a BIG problem with the government telling you as an adult what you can buy to drink. like any alcohol is realy safe anyways :): but if it has caffeine in it, i guess its just too over the top for the feds.

They use college students as the prime example for why these need to be banned, but if they are over 21 then what right do they have to do this to them?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Even more pitiful is that that the avg person doesn't even notice how much of a #$&#ing nanny state we're in.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I agree, you have the right to be stupid, but the government has no right telling you that you can't drink these drinks, when it is so easy to just take... oh say a whiskey and mix it with Pepsi Max.

Oh wait, what is in this glass next to my computer????

indeed. I found one of those on my table next to my computer as well. Weird.:D

However. I don't understand why the FDA would stick their nose in this concerning that there is no medical foundation, and even if they did... Jegar + Energy Drink, is equivocally the same thing. One I do not particularly like, however, I do like redbull and certain alcohols. And may or may not have use them in college to stay up all night studying while accomplishing some drinking. I actually usually did better on those tests....:dunno:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    so are you not gonna be able to get a flying deer anymore? thats got alcohol and caffeine in it. or rum and coke? or Jack and Coke? or Irish Coffee? or bailey's coffee?

time to kick the gov't out of our bars. and out of everything else they have no business in.

I just realized.... flying deer the European name for it, idk if its the same back home... red bull and Jagermeister

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

I spent years in Jamaica and Asia. Kids as young as ten drink regularly. No one cares. The kids just pass out on the street, sidewalk, in the parks—wherever they happen to be. They just join the derelicts in the alleys and gutters. No one cares. If they want to drink, they drink.

It is much easier in Asia. The over arching presuppositions are karma and reincarnation. Karma says a drunk is a drunk, or a kid is passed out on the sidewalk, or a thalidomide baby is so deformed because of the evil they committed in their previous life. Therefore, they must suffer in this life to make amends for their evil in hopes of progressing up to a higher life form in their next life (when they are reincarnated). This means it is morally wrong to interfere with their karma by helping that child sober up, or learn to read, or even to give that child a banana to ease his/her hunger. The same applies to the young girls sold as sex slaves to the Hindu priests or the brothels in Bangkok. "It is their karma, so let them suffer." (And the Hindu holy man needs his free whore.)

I suggest that is the ultimate degree of liberty. The "It is their choice! They made their bed! If they want to kill themselves with alcohol and caffeine, let them!" attitude. I acknowledge this an extreme variety of the OP's original point. The use of the extreme facilitates identification of the core issues.

I would make a distinction between the freedoms allowed to a child and those allowed to an adult. Children, teens, young adults all have a different perspective on life from "adults" because of their different mental processes and their experience. We rely on the young adult male to be heroically stupid to defend our country (No one else would take the point on a search and destroy mission in Vietnam. A normal adult would just hide in the bush around the first bend in the trail and shoot the second louie as soon as he came in sight. "Dang it! How did I miss seeing that sniper?!") It seems to me that someone is making a huge profit off the stupidity and youthful arrogance of our young.

I think we as a nation and a culture can aspire to a better way. Some wise limitations on behavior are appropriate. For example, no one can touch a child. "Touch a kid and die" makes a good slogan and presents a valid limitation on human behavior. I would support an end to the drug wars. Legalize the drugs, but require that those who use them forfeit their rights to subsidized health care and employment in critical occupations like driving truck or heavy machinery, service in the military, etc. Tax the drug suppliers to pay off the national debt. You get the idea.

So, I am not too troubled by a limitation on the sale of alcohol/caffeine drinks. Some limitations are wise and necessary. Which ones are debatable. E5RANGER375 argues this one is unnecessary. He is a pretty sharp guy, from what I have read in his :ingo: posts. He makes some good points: Other strong drinks are readily available. Adults should be able to make their own choices. Free market will police itself.

I think I will have to disagree with him on this one. Big Brother does have a role in making sure the consumer gets a safe product and knows what can result from consumption of a product. So, (man, I can't believe I am going to write this!), perhaps a warning label on the product delineating the dangers would be an acceptable alternative. E5RANGER375 gets his freedom and I get my warning.

But who has to pick up the body from the street? The parent? The supplier? Big Brother?

Who pays for the funeral? E5RANGER375? Me? Big Brother?

You can bet your life on the fact it will not be the supplier or the one who holds stock in the company. They are just the American version of the Hindu priest who is entitled to his child whore.

Top Bottom