• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just saw some Nobel brand 2-1/2" .410 buckshot listed for sale. They advertise 1200 fps, but add a disclaimer at the end of the ad that reads, "Not recommended for handgun use".

Would there be a problem using this ammo in a handgun (Judge)?

Someone on the GunBroker forums seems to think it's purely a legal thing. "They do not want to be selling handgun ammo"

Would this be a safety issue?

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't want to be shooting buckshot out of a judge. If I remember correctly they were designed to be an inside the car self defense gun loaded with slugs.

Someone come along and correct me if I am wrong please.

Joe

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I wouldn't want to be shooting buckshot out of a judge. If I remember correctly they were designed to be an inside the car self defense gun loaded with slugs.

Joe

I am not an expert on the Judge or .410, but I believe you are wrong. Federal premium sells this ammo that is designed for the Judge.

Federal Premium - Buckshot Details

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was always told to fire nothing but slugs out of a rifled barrel and save the buckshot for a smooth bore barrel. I dunno - I've been told lots of things over the years that turned out to be hooey.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN

Joe

Not knocking you but you're 1/2 right. The original Taurus promotion had a guy in a car, shooting across at the passengers side with a Judge. First with 00 buck and then with .45LC. I'm guessing if the factory promo shows it, it's ok to put through it.

Also I have no issues putting 00buck through my Judge.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I was always told to fire nothing but slugs out of a rifled barrel and save the buckshot for a smooth bore barrel. I dunno - I've been told lots of things over the years that turned out to be hooey.

The rifled barrel, as explained to me, tends to make a doughnut pattern with shot shells. Not good for hunting at any sort of range, but in defensive roles at short range, I dont see that it would be a big issue.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the powder & pressures may not be suited for a handgun.

shooting shot out of a rifled barrel makes the shot spin outward into a much larger pattern..
    but in .410 buck the balls are stacked in line so you just get 3 or 4 sub caliber balls coming out..
    not a shot cloud like larger shotguns..

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    You know, Federal (and others), make ammo specifically for the "Judge" and the one from Smith and Wesson. I would just follow the directions on the package, and not shoot it thru the revolver. I would stick to the stuff that is made for the gun whether or not it actually could be fired thru it. Just saying.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Judge

There are several .410 loads designated as "Personal Defense", "Ultimate Home Defense" or ".410 Handgun".

I have shot the following loads through our 2 1/2" chambered Judge.

Federal .410 Handgun Personal Defense #4 Shot - 1200 FPS
    We carry this load for snakes while p doggin' but I'm sure a load of this in the face of a BG at close range would be very effective. Patterns about 2' diameter at 10' on paper.

Remington Ultimate Home Defense 000BK - 1225 FPS
    Have shot this load of 4 pellets on paper. Large pattern at 10'. You might be lucky to get more than one on a BG farther away.

I just bought, but have not yet shot, some .410 slugs. They are Winchester 1/5 oz (approx. 88 gr) rifled HP. The box states 1830 FPS! OUCH!

Federal has a 3" load of #4 buck (much bigger than #4 shot). Wish I could get it in 2 1/2".

I'd be willing to bet the stated velocities are from a full length shotgun barrel.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I'd be willing to bet the stated velocities are from a full length shotgun barrel.

I was thinking the same. See if you can find out what length barrel they are firing out of for that velocity.

I dont see buckshot affecting the rifling since it seems to be fairly soft lead. Now if you used some steel bearings I think you would have a problem. :rolleyes:

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    My guess...

Importing "handgun" ammunition or for that matter selling "handgun" ammunition in certain states, is a completely different business than ammunition for long-guns. You never know what the Odopers and inti's will try next. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    there can be powder charges that only work well in longer barrels, my hunting load for .357mag uses H110 and is a screamer out of a rifle, but feels like a dud out of a handgun.
    because the powder is slower burning it needs the longer barrel to have longer burn time..

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Wowza!! Alot of maybes and close tos flying around.

If they tell you it's because its a pistol and shotgun ammo, then they are full of it. A round is a round is a round.

The Nobel/RWS/Most Euro .410 as well as some domestic shells has funky shell strirations (spelling?) that cause it to expand and jams up the Judges big time. The actual stuff designed for "handgun" use is generally smooth or doesn't expand into the chambers that much. From experience at our range: The handgun stuff is for use in handguns, can be used in long guns. The Euro/Some domestic stuff jams up the Judges big time (get a hammer and rod to knock out the empties from the cylinder).

One can fire any .410 ammo (provided the chamber dimensions are okay) in the Judge. Any shot out of it sucks, period. Show splatter targets and other hooey, doesn't matter. Saw it with my own eyes at the range, they just suck. The handgun stuff doesn't suck as bad. Slugs are horrible ideas (undersized, underpowered) and the .45 LC stuff isnt accurate as one would hope (compromise in rifling to handle shot and single projectile).

Top Bottom