• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    I have been deployed for the past six months. Prior to my deployment I thoroughly cleaned and lubricated my newest ccw, placed it in a zippered soft case, and stored it in my closet on a shelf. While I was gone I was anxious to get home and spend some time on the range with it because I didn't get to do too much of that prior to leaving. I opened the case and instantly felt sick when i found that the Hungarian PA63 had rusted and was stuck to the inside of the new case. All three mags were also rusted and stuck to the case as well. I have never had that happen to me, and I was curious to know if I had done something wrong, or was the case to blame for damaging the pistol? This is the first soft case I have ever used, and if that is the way they all are then I will not use one again. Please let me know, Thanks.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Those soft cases you get at gunshows are not suitable for long term storage. They are really good, I have several of them, for transport to and from gunshows, gunsmiths, gun shops and to the range. I think you should be able to salvage your gun with a bit of work. Sorry you had to learn that the hard way.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    That's strange to have that much corrosion in just 6 months. Especially if you lubed it good prior to storage. Maybe it was the location more than the case? I store all my handguns in soft cases. Have for years and I have never had a single issue with corrosion. I do take them out every so often, inspect them and give them a good wipe-down with a silicone cloth.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Soft cases are just meant for transport not storage. Next time dont leave it in that. If you have a safe use it. Dehumidfier or something simialr are you friend

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    A Rig Rag works well on the finish also, rub, rub, rub. Did you get the soft case in a plastic bag and open it right before storing your Pistol? Might have had some moisture in the bag.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    When closed, hard cases will trap what ever moisture is contained in the air at that time, and if exposed to a lower temp sometime in the near future, that moisture will condense on what ever hard object is inside causing rust to start forming. Close it on a relatively dry day after it has been open for several hours, you may not have a problem, open and close it on a humid day, and watch out.

Soft cases on the other hand, will absorb moisture out of the surrounding air on their own rather quickly. One would think that the case would dry as fast as it absorbed moisture, but unfortunately that is rarely the case in real life. Usually, the material will wick moisture inward, way faster than it will outward, and a steel object in the center will tend to hold onto what ever moisture comes in contact with it, rather than releasing it.

Remember too, that oil floats on water, so as moisture moves toward the center it will "float" the oil toward the outside, in effect sealing the moisture under it, in.

:twocents:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I use Bore Stores as my soft sided pistol cases.

Protective Gun Cases Silicone Treated - Bore Stores

Haven't discovered any storage induced corrosion in the 8 years I've been using them. In fact, a few weekends ago, I pulled out several pistols that haven't seen the light of day in over 2 years to use at a Scouting event. They looked every bit as good as when they went into storage. Cleaned them up after the shoot and now they're back into storage.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Heard recently that hand warmers will displace oxygen in a closed container. Anyone Know that to be true? that might be an option in the future.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Fleece or wool lined will kill your guns finish. Foam lining will also do it, like the hard cases from Doxcill(unsure the spelling)Gander, WalMart, sells.
    I have some cloth lined ones, never an issue after 30 yrs even. Agree about airing out the guns, my safe does that, and wiping down with a silicone rag does help.
    Sorry to hear about the surprise, save that pistol/mags! Wipe and give some TLC.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have been deployed for the past six months. Prior to my deployment I thoroughly cleaned and lubricated my newest ccw, placed it in a zippered soft case, and stored it in my closet on a shelf. While I was gone I was anxious to get home and spend some time on the range with it because I didn't get to do too much of that prior to leaving. I opened the case and instantly felt sick when i found that the Hungarian PA63 had rusted and was stuck to the inside of the new case. All three mags were also rusted and stuck to the case as well. I have never had that happen to me, and I was curious to know if I had done something wrong, or was the case to blame for damaging the pistol? This is the first soft case I have ever used, and if that is the way they all are then I will not use one again. Please let me know, Thanks.

Do you have a younger brother? If so I would blame him :):
    I was a younger brother and I always messed with my older brothers stuff.

hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    Sorry to hear of your problem. At this point, the following video might be helpful:

How to Fix Light Rust on a Gun | World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

OP, if you don't mind my asking, with what product did you lubricate the firearm prior to storage?

Thanks all for the info. I lubricated with Hoppes 9 before I left. I may have not left enough on it when I did a final wipe down. I think that the material inside the case may have wicked away the oil and left the metal surface dry. Since I left in May, it was very humid and if the metal was cold then the humidity would tend to migrate to it. Anyway, I have spent some time on it with some light sand paper and steel wool with some solvent. I removed the rust but the metal is permanently pitted. The pistol still functions normally, but I hate that the finish is destroyed. I am going to see if I can have it professionally repaired or just replace the slide assembly. Still loving the FEG PA-63. Nice size and simple to operate.

Last edited:

hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    PGRChaplain- I bought the soft case about two months before I left and it was not in plastic. I bought it at a gun show at the same time I purchased the gun.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Thanks all for the info. I lubricated with Hoppes 9 before I left. I may have not left enough on it when I did a final wipe down. I think that the material inside the case may have wicked away the oil and left the metal surface dry.

You might want to try Break-Free CO (Collector) for long term storage rather than Hoppes. I've just started using Break-Free CO for the guns I don't shoot on a regular basis, so I don't have any long term data to report, but I can verify that the stuff is certainly thicker than most oils.

Don't fret over the looks of the gun. Is this your CCW or a gun safe queen? You should expect to have considerable wear to the finish if you're actually carrying and practicing with it. As long as it shoots where you point it every time you pull the trigger, then all is good.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    That's strange to have that much corrosion in just 6 months. Especially if you lubed it good prior to storage.

My thoughts also.

Sounds like there may have been some kind of reaction between the cleaning chamicals and the case. Synthetic fibers and plastics have all kind of nasty chemicals in them.

Good news is, the finish on a PA63 isnt all that great to begin with. Remove the rust with something like the recomended Midway polishing cloth, and then refinish the gun with a DIY firearms coating like Brownells Aluma Hyde. If you take your time, it may end up looking better.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Did you use #9 in solvent form? If so it isnt a lube which would explain why this unfortunately happened.

If you used #9 in a oil, then you were unlucky.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sorry to hear it. That is one of those things Dad taught me decades ago, never store your guns in any cases.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Right, standard Hoppes No. 9 is a bore cleaner/solvent, not a lube, and not really a rust preventative. (Yeah, I know what it says on the bottle, but any rust prevention properties of No. 9 are very mild compared to the alternatives.)

For storage, it should be followed with something that has more rust preventative properties.

Hopefully it's just surface rust and a learning experience this time.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Was the closet you stored the gun in on an outside wall with the door closed?

I have a friend who stored a properly cleaned and oiled gun in a closet that was along an outside wall with the door closed.
    After only a few months, rust was already starting to form on it.

He stopped storing it there, and never had a problem again.

Top Bottom