• ...and so much more!
  • hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys/gals,

I baught my Ultra Compact (New) last month and got to shoot it once and it shoots well but honestly I am really dissapointed in it.
    frown.gif
    Here are my issues with it:

1) The ambi safety on it feels like junk and is impossible to engage/dissengage with my thumb only. The safety is not only too tight but it feels like it is binding half way between the safe and hot positions. The safety is also gouging the right side of the frame and the slide.

2) The dissassemby went fine but the reassembly was a pain in the @$$ due to the plunger not moving back into the plunger tube when the slide stop is being re-installed.

3) "Idiot mark" installed from factory. This must be an option from Springfield Armory. :xmad:

4) Trigger has too much slop/vertical movement.

5) I'm not sure if I should be complaining about this too but the grip safety feels jinky like its been made in China or something.

6) Ohh I Almost forgot the "MADE IN BRAZIL-IMBEL" on the side of the frame.

I'm not sure if I just baught a lemon or what but I think this is ridiculous. I own 2 other 1911's a Star PD and a Taurus PT1911 and don't have any of these issues with them. I hate to say this but honestly I think my PT1911 is a higher quality pistol than this Springfield I baught.

Anyways I'm calling Springfield tomorrow to see if I can send it in.

Anyone else have any issues like this? :dunno:

JJenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    I have one.
    A stainless steel Ultra Compact V-10 I bought in 96, also made in Brazil.
    At least yours shoots.
    Mine FTF, FTE, shoots 8-10 inches low at 25 feet, sometimes the slide jams back (jams not locks).
    The first time I shot it I fired 4 rounds and it failed to extract on the fourth shot.
    Never shot it again after that.
    Got it out last year and had a friend of mine who is an FFL/Gunsmith look at it. He made few adjustments to the extractor and seemed the believe it would be OK. It worked great until the fourth mag and started doing the same thing and jamming the slide back.
    I did call Springfield back in 96 and they told me to mail it to them. I wasn't big on the idea of shipping a gun so at that time I put it back in the safe and left it.
    I'm gonna give it a try now and send it to them, got a few extra things I want to do to it now.
    I think the finish on mine is really nice.
    It does have an idiot mark on it, but I'm the idiot who put it there. Hope they can polish it out.
    I've read some great things about Springfield's customer service on the 1911forum.
    Hope it works out for you....

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hope you get yours fixed as well.

Mine shot low too, but I got an eye exam a few days after that range trip and was told my left eye is doodoo and that I need glasses. :n00b:

The made in Brazil thing doesn't really bother me, I just felt like throwing it in there. :laugh:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    The last SAInc 1911 that I purchased convinced me to sell all of them. It had some work done thru their custom shop and included the original parts. It was ammo finicky, having FTE/ FTF issues, and was not as accurate as it should have been.... at least compared to my Kimbers and Colts.

Some may love their SAs like I love my Kimbers, thats great. What ever works for each, but Ill stick to their M1As and thats about it.

One good point is, SAInc customer service is 2nd to none and always took care of the issues and any questions.

My :twocents:,

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I also had a Stainless V-10 and shot 12" low at 25 yds. I shot groups with different types of ammo and sent it back to Springfield with the targets. They changed out the front sight and sent it back. Still couldn't get it to shoot like it should have for a $700 1911 so I traded it off for a Glock 30. Never looked back.

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just courious... Did you not notice some of these things before purchasing? I always go over a gun real well before I put the money on the counter.

Yea I noticed that the gun was very tight but I assumed it would loosed up over time. The more I work the thumb safety the worse it gets. The grip safety I'm not too happy with but it seemed like other manufacturers felt the same, even though my PT1911 feels much sturdier. The up and down trigger slop I didn't know about until I compared it with my other 2 guns when I got it home.

I always have liked Springfields but never had any experience with them. I was originally looking for a LW Champion Operator but couldn't find any Springfields, let alone the one I wanted. I guess this is what I get for settling on the first Springfield I got a hold of.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Call Springfield and see if they will make it right. They should not only take care of it but they should do it on their dime. If they don't, you will have a choice to make on how much more you want to sink into the gun.

If Springfield wants to charge you more than $0.01 to fix it and you insist on keeping this gun, there's another option. I would recommend you pick up the phone and call Teddy Jacobson. He doesn't do much (if any?) work on cosmetics (or sights) but he sure knows how to make a 1911 run. He will talk to you on the phone and might even give you some guidance on diagnosing your problem over the phone. His prices are reasonable and his work is top-notch (my opinion). His guns aren't fancy or pretty but they run. It's worth a call and it sounds like you have nothing to lose.

Mr.Strato

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    You guys DO know that SA has NO Quality Control Dept.,Don't you?
    That's why they lean so heavily on their Customer Service Dept.
    They ship stuff that jams on the witness rounds, hoping they won't see it again- and lots of times they don't.

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They ship stuff that jams on the witness rounds, hoping they won't see it again- and lots of times they don't.

I don't know if that's true or not. It seems pretty crazy that any firearm manufacturer would not have a QC department. Nonetheless, it's on its way back to Springfield.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009

How did you find this out?

Top Bottom