• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    Today I had a snow day and took the opportunity to shoot my Saiga 12. It was nothing short of disaster. The Tapco foregrip flew off the gun after a few rounds, and the no-name scope rail left the fight early. Dejected, I returned home and went to the man-cave to try and reinstall the scope mount and foregrip, and as I set the gun down on the table, the stock came off.......and I realized it had snapped off right under the rear tang of the gun :xmad:

It appears that it just split right at the forward screw. As with everything else on this gun, it seems the shock of shooting 12 gauge semi-auto is too much for most of these components to handle...:xmad:
    photo7.jpg

So, is it worth going thru Tapco's customer service or just go buy something a little more sturdy? So far, my Saiga conversion has not impressed me.....:rolleyes:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    The only thing of theirs I've used is their plastic AK mags and they're a pain to load and they jam in my WASR

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    tapco is junk. i have a few plastic ak mags, the galil foregrip and saw grip. mags seem to get caught up and don't feed more than a few rounds at a time. foregrip didn't come close to fitting so after i shaved it down i noticed it was molded in such a way that it's crooked on the gun, the top piece doesn't fit tight and unless you're firing from the hip or have your forearm 90* the grip recess is too deep to be comfortable. Saw grip is the only thing i haven't had a problem with

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    tapco is junk. i have a few plastic ak mags, the galil foregrip and saw grip. mags seem to get caught up and don't feed more than a few rounds at a time. foregrip didn't come close to fitting so after i shaved it down i noticed it was molded in such a way that it's crooked on the gun, the top piece doesn't fit tight and unless you're firing from the hip or have your forearm 90* the grip recess is too deep to be comfortable. Saw grip is the only thing i haven't had a problem with

Tapco is 50/50.... either it's great or it's crap.

You MUST put quality parts on a S12. I put a cheapo leapers/utg foregrip on my S12 just to get me by since I had one laying around... lol, total POS.

Anyway, Chaos rail, Magpul RVG and Romanian side folder = total win.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It's called Crapco for a reason.

This.^^^ Sorry to hear about your problems, but they don't surprise me in the least. The only thing I use my Crapco AK mags for is dry practice, I got them in a different color for just that purpose. Like Prometheus said, you need to know when to use quality parts. (Most of the time, IMHO.)

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    Well I guess I was under the impression that Tapco was quality. I've got a tapco stock on my SKS and don't have any complaints, but it would seem that Tapco is on the same level as "Advanced Technologies" and their ridiculously horrible fitting shotgun parts.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You should still contact Tapco. They have excellent customer service. They'll more than likely send you a new part. You don't have install it, if you still have your receipt you can return it or you could post the part up for sale somewhere since it'll be brand new.

I'd start with call them for a replacement piece and then figure out all your options from there.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have never even DESIRED to buy a Tapco product.

It has always looked like junk from the start to me.

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    I kinda figured it was mid-level gear. I bought the stocks as part of the kit from CSS to do the conversion. I'm looking into an Ace side folder as I do not want fixed stocks on this gun.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I got two Tapco 30 round mags with my first AK. Don't know if it was break-in teething troubles or what, but they didn't want to feed properly in the rifle. Bought another AK (same manufacturer) and the Tapco mags fed flawlessly. I bought a Tapco folder for my original AK and a piece of the locking mechanism broke off. Customer Service had my replacement stock to me before they got the broken one back.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I've got a few tapco parts for my saiga Ak in .223 and I've never had a problem with any of it. I also have one of their 20 rnd mags for my sks and have never had a single feed issue.

But then again, maybe I'm not as "Tacticool" as a few of these other guys :rolleyes: lol

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    I called five times and could not get a hold of anyone in customer service. Sent them an email. We'll see what happens. The Saiga forum is having a grand time at my expense. Apparently I didn't get the memo that Tapco parts are the worst on the market for Saiga. I guess I figured nothing could be as bad or worse than Advanced Technologies.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    tapco grips and triggers are fine. Anything else is booty. A plastic rail that melts when you use it and unreliable mags are at the top of the **** list. You should expect that the stock from the tapco would snap in the cold. Should you want a good buffer tube go with caa or vltor as they're aluminum, then you can put on whatever stock floats your boat. I'm not a fan of folders unless they're on an SBS/R and we can't have the former so i'd rather have the adjustability of a fixed tube stock. Aces are nice. If you want to keep the tang and not saw it off, kreb$ has a new folder adapter thingy that looks better than the ace block square thingy
    StampedReceiverBlock1.jpg

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    My WASR has worn a Tapoc stock, grip, and fore end for years, it even has a Tapco trigger. I also have three Tapco range mags for this gun, and they have always run perfectly.

My Saiga 12 currently wears a Taco Intrafuse butt stock/pistol grip, and forend. I haven't converted it yet since it ran birdshot so poorly when new, and I didn't want to start cutting on it since, it would void the warranty. All the parts have held up great, even with tons of high brass and slugs when I was trying to break the gun in.

I don't recommend the Saiga 12 tapco gas puck though, I bought it for 922 compliance, and even though it looks like the stock plug, it negatively affected how my already undergassed gun performed. Also don't even try the UTG fore grip, it only lasted for about 10 rounds on my Saiga.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    The Tapco triggers are about the only thing worth having. I do have a couple of the Tapco 7.62x39 mags. They run fine in everything Ive used them in, but they aren't nearly as sturdy as any of the factory mags. Great range mags or 922r mags, but thats about it. DONT drop a full one on the floor, thats for sure!

Top Bottom