• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I've had to do the same several times since about 12 and never gets easier. They are family members. Our 11 year old Lab has about another year, maybe two. It won't be easy for me but it is going to really hurt my kids, 8, 10 & 12 when it gets here. When it 's time it's time. You don't prolong it. It's worse if you do.

Good luck.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    First of all I am so sorry that this time has come. Secondly let me praise you for doing the selfless act of letting your friend go. It may be hard and difficult but it is the bravest thing to do. You're choosing to not let her suffer here for your own reasons but allowing him a dignified end. It sounds like you are looking out for her best interest. And for that despite the sad moment sir rep inbound!
    May God grant you grace in this difficult time.

Last edited:

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    dog

I'm sorry to hear of this. But you are doing the right thing. My childhood dalmation got to the point that her back end wouldn't move and the front end didn't understand why. It was heartbreaking. We had to do this with one of our cats a few years ago. We lived a block from the vet. We put her in her carrier and the other cats watched. They didn't claw or run at her. It was like she had told them what had happened. On the way there we heard her give a last gasp. It was only a block away, but we think she chose that time to go so that we wouldn't have to do it. I have to go away now.

Jason

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Sorry man. True dog lovers understand. I lost my last "family member" 14 months ago and it still hurts. Lots of good memories though. That,s what you have to remind yourself

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to hear that you have to lose a family member. Rest assured you're doing the right thing. I'm sure if she could talk she would tell you the same thing. Reading stuff like this makes me tear up every time. I have a few here at home that are getting pretty close to the age where we may have to make the call. I dread the thought, but in the end I will do what's right for them, just as you are doing right now.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    I am truly sorry that you are having to do this, know that you are doing the right thing for your 4 legged family member.
    Some times they can't tell us how much they are hurting.
    My wife & I have 5 dogs & plan on fostering in the future.
    We have been in the same place, it hurts...take comfort knowing your friend will be in peace.

ws98ta

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Our beloved Carlee is now in peace and pain free.
    47C9615B-8879-43F2-9047-5F4553E962CB-7731-000004E5636F4DC3_zps13990478.jpg

She went quickly and peacefully.

To my loving dog Carlee, you may be gone from our home, but you will never leave out hearts! Rest in peace Carlee.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My last two English Mastiffs we have had to take in and put to sleep, they both had cancer. Easily one of the hardest things I have done in my life, I bawled like a baby both times. It is tough to do whats right for your buddy when the time comes but have peace in your mind and heart that you will be reunited again!!

Prayers sent your way

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That is so hard to do. I've been through it too. When I seen a picture of the OP's dog my eyes teared up. You did the right thing. She's pain-free now!

Top Bottom