Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Econo

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The govt has done a good job at breeding mindless voters. I won't allow my emotions to cloud my judgement. Not all people are meant to survive disasters. I will make sure my family is secure and prepared and friends will be next.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I used to get a ton of emails like that. Maybe I still do but never read them.

I look at them fairly learily when they are just trying to sell a book or something. The linked site doesn't directly try to sell you something(I don't think) in the article...but seemed like all around the article it had sales links...but my work acct blocked most of the ads.

Regardless...17 was sad.

fundy87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2013
    Southern Indy
    dis-heartening indeed, I've been trying to convince my wife that we need to have a supply cache for us and our children. I've said it for going on two years now, she still doesn't believe it's necessary. i know a heck of a lot when it comes to self preservation, but how do i get her to see that it's a useful skill, and not a "cute hobby"??

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    dis-heartening indeed, I've been trying to convince my wife that we need to have a supply cache for us and our children. I've said it for going on two years now, she still doesn't believe it's necessary. i know a heck of a lot when it comes to self preservation, but how do i get her to see that it's a useful skill, and not a "cute hobby"??

This is a good question. There are a couple factors that lead to this "it's not necessary" belief.

The first is simple normalcy bias. There hasn't been a major disruption in the food/energy supply in this country for a long, long time. Why should we prepare for one? The answer is that past performance is not indicative of future results. There is a very real and very dangerous global debt problem that could lead to disruptions. The evidence is available and quite clear if one is willing to look at it.

A second reason is our natural bias towards positive outcomes. Many people are incapable of viewing a very bad outcome as realistic. We tend towards being optimistic because having to face the consequences of being pessimistic is to psycologically damaging to deal with. It's easier to just ignore the potential bad outcomes. A good example of this was the German Jews who never thought the holocaust would happen until they were actually being lead to the gas chamber even though there was a decade of evidence that it was coming.

You can point to all the bad outcomes throughout history and explain that we are not immune. Also, explain that the worst case scenerio under your proposal is that you buy some prepper items that you never need to use. The worst case under her preferred scenerio is that you, her and the kids die from starvation. Start small. The first step in prepping is to stock up on things you use every day anyway. It never hurts to have 3-4 months worth of TP, toothpaste, soap etc.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    This is a good question. There are a couple factors that lead to this "it's not necessary" belief.

The first is simple normalcy bias. There hasn't been a major disruption in the food/energy supply in this country for a long, long time. Why should we prepare for one? The answer is that past performance is not indicative of future results. There is a very real and very dangerous global debt problem that could lead to disruptions. The evidence is available and quite clear if one is willing to look at it.

A second reason is our natural bias towards positive outcomes. Many people are incapable of viewing a very bad outcome as realistic. We tend towards being optimistic because having to face the consequences of being pessimistic is to psycologically damaging to deal with. It's easier to just ignore the potential bad outcomes. A good example of this was the German Jews who never thought the holocaust would happen until they were actually being lead to the gas chamber even though there was a decade of evidence that it was coming.

You can point to all the bad outcomes throughout history and explain that we are not immune. Also, explain that the worst case scenerio under your proposal is that you buy some prepper items that you never need to use. The worst case under her preferred scenerio is that you, her and the kids die from starvation. Start small. The first step in prepping is to stock up on things you use every day anyway. It never hurts to have 3-4 months worth of TP, toothpaste, soap etc.

My Dad is proof of this... I tried to give him a box that had a three day supply of shelf stable food in it for him & Mom and he gave it back telling me that he didn't need it as the government and the "good people" he lives near would be there for him. How will these good people help you if, like you no one has anything to spare? I asked. I believe in the goodness of America and that it will always end well. It always has and always will.

I sighed and put the box of stuff with the rest of my supply. My sister gave hers back to me too.

Where do these families live? Right smack on the coast of Fl where Hurricanes are a regular thing. They worry more about me and the single flood I went through without needing help than they do about themselves and the three hurricanes they've been through so far and needed the help.

Heck, they can't even be bothered to keep much water around... my Dad gave me all his guns and my sister won't have one.

I pray for them. A LOT.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side

My wife is the same way. It is very frustrating, to say the least.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

When we did not have electric for over 3 days several years ago it has helped to remind my wife of that every so often. :D

My wife was snowed in several times growing up so that has helped with winter prepping.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    # 16

Fritz Wenzel, president of Wenzel Strategies, told WND: “Our survey shows that, in the face of this reality, very few Americans are taking steps themselves to prepare for the worst possible scenario. Just 11 percent consider themselves to be what has come to be known as ‘doomsday preppers.’ The survey shows 24 percent aren’t preppers but do know one, while 62 percent are unfamiliar with any preppers. While 14 percent of Republicans are preppers, just 8 percent of Democrats say they are.”
    He continued: “Asked about the national electrical grid, one of the most important components of our modern civilization, a huge majority of the American public – 74 percent – acknowledges we are far too dependent on the grid. Interestingly, this is a question on which there is no variance based on partisan affiliation.”
    He said:”Asked how long they think it would take, after a national failure of the electrical grid, for serious, sustained, life-threatening civil unrest to break out in America, 24 percent said they think such violence would break out within the first week. Another 23 percent said it would happen within two weeks. About the same percentage – 27 percent – said such violence would occur sometime between two weeks and two months after failure of the grid.
    “While 19 percent said it would take longer than two months for life-threatening violence to break out, just 7 percent said they did not believe Americans would resort to such violence,” Wenzel said.

Read more at Half of America: I’d kill to protect my own

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    i know a heck of a lot when it comes to self preservation, but how do i get her to see that it's a useful skill, and not a "cute hobby"??

Wait until its dark out on a Friday night ... Hide her phone, then secretly go downstairs and cut the main breaker off.

When she starts going frantic looking for a flashlight or candles or her phone and she is stumbling around the house... just stand there like :dunno:

After about 15 minutes turn back on the breaker and then explain to her that you weren't even prepared for a 15min power outage let alone 10 days or 10 years.

You'll probably spend the night on the couch... but at least you will be satisfied from making your point :laugh:

**On a serious note** Start getting her keen on the idea of prepping by starting small with ideas she accepts.

-Make a travel safety kit for each car for roadside emergencies
    -Tell her you'd like to make a first aid kit for the house

and make sure that you seek her input for these small projects!

Another angle you may want to try is to see if she is open to going camping (if you don't already). Try to get her interested in tent camping. All the stuff you need for camping will translate into "preps". Also camping will open her up to the idea of surviving without all the amenities of your house.

Start with a comfortable place like camping at a KOA where there are swimming pools and showers and then eventually try to work her into something a little more primitive.

From my experience with women... you can't try to "force them" to want to do anything. And you can't push them too hard to fast in any one direction. I'm not surprised that you can't sell her on prepping for the "End of the World".... but I wouldn't be surprised if she would be open to something on a smaller scale.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    This cheers me up, because the unprepared will be the first to go and the unprepared/ignorant are most of the problem with the country.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Well it's like this, if something like that happens, we'll simply start killing each other for survival. All the people who "prepared" will be fighting daily until they're finally killed and someone else takes their preparations. I've often wondered if something bad was in store for the future. I have land to feed myself with lots of livestock, wild game and fish, wild food, etc. but in the end, some group of bandits would simply show up one day and take it all because there'd be no way to stop them. Sorry if this sounds like paranoia, however, I assure everyone I'm not. I just feel this is what would happen to America.

By the way, I read the article and one thing went through my head: welcome to amercian capitalism.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well it's like this, if something like that happens, we'll simply start killing each other for survival. All the people who "prepared" will be fighting daily until they're finally killed and someone else takes their preparations. I've often wondered if something bad was in store for the future. I have land to feed myself with lots of livestock, wild game and fish, wild food, etc. but in the end, some group of bandits would simply show up one day and take it all because there'd be no way to stop them. Sorry if this sounds like paranoia, however, I assure everyone I'm not. I just feel this is what would happen to America.

By the way, I read the article and one thing went through my head: welcome to amercian capitalism.

Hot lead should suffice.

Top Bottom