• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Sooo....you saw a car you didn't recognize parked on a public road at 6:00 in the morning.

Hmmmm.

CoolStoryBro.jpg

:D

I was bored forgive me, I really shouldn't get up that early in the morning when I don't have guns to clean or something.

reeseg45

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    best offense is a good defense. If it was a bg they could be seeing what time you left for work that way they could come pick up their new computer with the windows 7 that you installed for them and of course their new tv and gun's cant leave without those. Mosts home robberies happen during daylight hours.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Don't get me wrong here.

I have no problem at all with having a heightened awareness of the "unusual" behavior. I think it is just good sense to watch & wait to see what they do. But to call the police is absolutely no different than a "MWAG" call by a non-gun person.

Jay, you may know that a guy just walking around with a gun is probably not a threat but the average person doesn't. You say you would watch more closely & see if there is any indication that there is a threat. You wouldn't call the cops unless you could articulate the threat. That's all I'm advocating here. Why call the cops for a car on a public roadway absent an obvious threat?

We really can't complain about MWAG calls if we support MIAC (Man In A Car) calls. Try to justify it all you want but there really is no difference.

Snowman,

No, I didn't see those posts about your co-worker but that really doesn't change the situation...much. Would I be more concerned than if some random car was there absent the threat by your co-worker? Yes. I still don't think that rates a call to the police without some indication that they are really up to no good.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Why call the cops for a car on a public roadway absent an obvious threat?

We really can't complain about MWAG calls if we support MIAC (Man In A Car) calls. Try to justify it all you want but there really is no difference.

I believe there is a difference.

A man OC'ing walking down the public street, visibly indicates by his actions that he poses no threat to me. Some anti gun person may call in a MWAG. I'll guarantee you that if you park on the public street, that's 5 feet from my back fence after dark or before daylight, for more time than it takes my dog to let me know you're there, I'll call in a suspicious vehicle, because THAT AREA OF PUBLIC ROADWAY IS NOT DESIGNATED FOR PARKING. Drive up and down until yer wheels fall off, I don't care. Park there for more than a few minutes, and I'll either call it in, or see if I can "help", or both. You certainly don't have to agree, but there IS a difference. Waiting until a potential threat becomes a threat that you can articulate, is like waiting until you get mugged and THEN try run home for your gun. Again, you certainly don't have to agree.....I don't really care if you do or not.... but I'd suggest you NOT park on the roadway passing in front of, or behind my home. Neither is allocated for parking, and you won't like me at all, unless you have car trouble. Deal with it.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Don't get me wrong here.

I have no problem at all with having a heightened awareness of the "unusual" behavior. I think it is just good sense to watch & wait to see what they do. But to call the police is absolutely no different than a "MWAG" call by a non-gun person.

Jay, you may know that a guy just walking around with a gun is probably not a threat but the average person doesn't. You say you would watch more closely & see if there is any indication that there is a threat. You wouldn't call the cops unless you could articulate the threat. That's all I'm advocating here. Why call the cops for a car on a public roadway absent an obvious threat?

Snowman,

No, I didn't see those posts about your co-worker but that really doesn't change the situation...much. Would I be more concerned than if some random car was there absent the threat by your co-worker? Yes. I still don't think that rates a call to the police without some indication that they are really up to no good.

In the time that my family has lived on the farm we have had poachers, cattle thieves, horse thieves, and burglars the response time if something were to happen is a joke and that is after you argue with them about which county I reside in. Guess what all the people we have had problems with were in an unknown vehicle at an odd time of night. Every time the economy takes a dump people start looking for a quick buck. Maybe you don't know it but a lot of the intelligent criminals scout things first, some of the better livestock thieves have mobile butchering units in a normal looking contractors trailer (they got one last year on the other side of grant county if I am not mistaken), so if you want to take the chance of losing your livelihood or your life be my guest I for one am not taking the chance. If you disagree with my course of action so be it, you justified your reasoning as I have done mine have a good day.:ingo:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Well, this thread certainly emphasizes the difference between urban dwellers and rural people.
    When I was growing up we knew the vehicles of everyone that lived on our road. If a strange vehicle went down the road it was noticed.
    I live in the city now and still look out the window every time a car goes down the street. Do I know who every car belongs to? No. Do I recognize most cars yes.
    While in the city it may not be unusual or suspicious for a vehicle to randomly stop in the street @ Oh-dark-hundred, in the country it certainly is. Particularly when it is by your house. Was it nothing? Most likely, but given the time of day I, too, would be concerned that my house was being cased.
    The only thing I would have done different, and only if my spidey-sense was really tingling, would be to take a picture of the vehicle. Easy enough to delete if everything is ok, but potentially a lead if something bad happens.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Call to police

the report could have been for a stranded motorist and not have seemed as paranoid to the naysayers here. But then again you'd have been attacked for not being paranoid enough then, right?:rolleyes:

I'm rural too. I take a camera and a gun and go ask if they need help. Take the pic as you approach then ask them if they need help...(if they don't look furtive and just flee the scene.)

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Well, this thread certainly emphasizes the difference between urban dwellers and rural people.
    When I was growing up we knew the vehicles of everyone that lived on our road. If a strange vehicle went down the road it was noticed.
    I live in the city now and still look out the window every time a car goes down the street. Do I know who every car belongs to? No. Do I recognize most cars yes.
    While in the city it may not be unusual or suspicious for a vehicle to randomly stop in the street @ Oh-dark-hundred, in the country it certainly is. Particularly when it is by your house. Was it nothing? Most likely, but given the time of day I, too, would be concerned that my house was being cased.
    The only thing I would have done different, and only if my spidey-sense was really tingling, would be to take a picture of the vehicle. Easy enough to delete if everything is ok, but potentially a lead if something bad happens.

No picture but I can tell you it was more than likely a gm make mid to late 90s suv tracker type or a geo or suzuki of the same standarad considering they are all pretty much the same car, more than likely a two door, with the license plate mid tail hatch with no license plate. As far as post pics.. i guess ill throw you a small bone
    5385171685_c7928c55d9_b.jpg

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    No picture but I can tell you it was more than likely a gm make mid to late 90s suv tracker type or a geo or suzuki of the same standarad considering they are all pretty much the same car, more than likely a two door, with the license plate mid tail hatch with no license plate. As far as post pics.. i guess ill throw you a small bone
    5385171685_c7928c55d9_b.jpg

Dude that's just freaky. My current view...

picture.php

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    I would like to point out that the use of a firearm should be reserved for extreme situations. If a car made you feel that threatened I would imagine the pistol alone would have sufficed in this situation. Enjoy today tomorrow may not be as good:)

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Make sure you take advantage of that free breakfast, we were there for our anniversary and it was the only way I managed to save money hahaha.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    what's wrong with windows 7? it's practically the best OS Microsoft has ever produced! I've got it running on all of our computers and have even installed it on ones that barely ran 95 because of such crappy hardware!

I was finding something to tell you you were wrong about :) If I'm doing an install it's a *nix variant. I only run winders because I'm lazy.

Top Bottom