• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrubaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Does anybody know the statute for this change? I still was under the impression that you had to have it on your person. Not that I am planning on carrying without it. Actually a few weeks ago I was out and about and realized I’d left my wallet so I left my EDC in the car.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Welcome. While you are waiting start carrying full time around your house to get comfortable with it. Find out what works for you and what doesn't. Learn how to poop while carrying. How not to touch your gun every five minutes to make sure it is there. How to conceal without printing or inadvertently exposing when true concealed carry is necessary. Learn the laws and the consequences and research how the laws vary when you travel out of town.

PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    Welcome. While you are waiting start carrying full time around your house to get comfortable with it. Find out what works for you and what doesn't. Learn how to poop while carrying. How not to touch your gun every five minutes to make sure it is there. How to conceal without printing or inadvertently exposing when true concealed carry is necessary. Learn the laws and the consequences and research how the laws vary when you travel out of town.

This is great advice and I’ve actually done that except for the pooping part. Funny enough I was wondering about that. I was also wondering what people did on long car trips. Do you leave it holstered on you or do you put it somewhere in the car?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    This is the old IC.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of
    domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of
    this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on
    or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the
    person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued
    under this chapter being in the person's possession.

This is the new IC

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of
    domestic battery; exceptions
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and
    section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any
    vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under
    this chapter to carry a handgun.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    This is great advice and I’ve actually done that except for the pooping part. Funny enough I was wondering about that. I was also wondering what people did on long car trips. Do you leave it holstered on you or do you put it somewhere in the car?

You can carry now with no fear of repercussion. You are Licensed and there is no requirement to have the license on your person.

Carry everywhere. Get comfortable with it. As for in the car, I rarely unholster, unless I am going somewhere where I have to. I am totally comfortable with my rig and you should get the most comfortable gear you can.

PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    You can carry now with no fear of repercussion. You are Licensed and there is no requirement to have the license on your person.

Carry everywhere. Get comfortable with it. As for in the car, I rarely unholster, unless I am going somewhere where I have to. I am totally comfortable with my rig and you should get the most comfortable gear you can.

Awesome! Thanks! I totally thought I had to wait for it to come in the mail!

jbrubaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Thanks so much!
    This is the old IC.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of
    domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of
    this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on
    or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the
    person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued
    under this chapter being in the person's possession.

This is the new IC

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of
    domestic battery; exceptions
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and
    section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any
    vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under
    this chapter to carry a handgun.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The only time I ever presented my LTCH was because I assumed that it would diffuse the situation. It did not.

This is the AAR.

Luke gas station

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    When I got mine again (lifer this time) I made so many copies the KINKO’s guy thought I was crazy. Two in wallet. A few in this car a few in this truck one in the wife’s SUV I never drive . Extra copies in my carry bags. Gear bags. A few in the safe and a stack in my junk drawer. With the original in the safe on the door top pocket open side.

Get pulled over over I hand the card with the driver card. I really think that has saved me a ticket once. I know it sent me into the fast lane In Hamilton county during a phish concert road block drug sweep.

Glad i don’t have to be worried any longer if I jump in the daughters car without wallet and with the model 66. I did not throw one in her glove box. Yet. Maybe when I get home.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I've never asked to see one. I see them all the time when people pull out their driver's license, and I ask, "Are you carrying your firearm today?" If the response is affirmative, I say, "Good." If they tell me they are not, I ask them why they aren't carrying.

Yes, we can see if you have a LTCH when we run your info. If the officer is off duty and doesn't have his MDT, he can call dispatch to verify.

The chance of you being arrested for not having your permission slip in your possession is slim. The chance of you being prosecuted is non existent. Just remember, whatever you do, DON'T ARGUE WITH THE OFFICER. He might be dead wrong, but that isn't the time to deal with that. Let him do what he thinks he needs to do, and sort it out later. The street is not a proper venue for court. Take it up with the officer's agency if he acted inappropriately. It will be addressed.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The individual officer would have a fair amount of discretion with how to handle that. First - do whatever they tell you to do.

Second, IF they can't confirm your a proper LTCHer, and IF they decide to disarm you, you should be able to retrieve your firearm upon presentation of the LTCH and other identifying docs.

Third, IF it goes further than that and a prosecutor gets involved, presentation of your LTCH to them should resolve that issue.

In certain jurisdictions, that could be MONTHS later. IMPD for instance runs ballistics on ALL guns that enter the property room in hopes of finding a gun used in a crime. There is a big backlog last count I had. (via info here)

Hopefully that works out for you. Kirk's comment in my sig is from a thread I started several years ago. TL; DR version, I was held for 45 minutes on the side of the road by an officer ignorant of the law waiting to confirm my LTCH was still valid and that the address on the card was current. His agency was not connected to the ISP database and ISP wouldnt return the calls of dispatch. He finally gave up after taking photos of my gun to prove I had it, as he threatened to come to my home and arrest me (in another city mind you) if he later found out everything wasnt kosher. :rolleyes: He insisted that what was on the card had to be accurate. I cant imagine what he would have done if I didnt have my pink permission slip on me. Even if I had memorized the LTCH number, he couldnt verify it since he couldnt contact ISP.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I've never asked to see one. I see them all the time when people pull out their driver's license, and I ask, "Are you carrying your firearm today?" If the response is affirmative, I say, "Good." If they tell me they are not, I ask them why they aren't carrying.

Yes, we can see if you have a LTCH when we run your info. If the officer is off duty and doesn't have his MDT, he can call dispatch to verify.

The chance of you being arrested for not having your permission slip in your possession is slim. The chance of you being prosecuted is non existent. Just remember, whatever you do, DON'T ARGUE WITH THE OFFICER. He might be dead wrong, but that isn't the time to deal with that. Let him do what he thinks he needs to do, and sort it out later. The street is not a proper venue for court. Take it up with the officer's agency if he acted inappropriately. It will be addressed.

The street is the place for law enforcement. The street is not the place for ignorant LEO making it up as they go.

You are obviously not ignorant, but I will not be bullied under color of law.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    In certain jurisdictions, that could be MONTHS later. IMPD for instance runs ballistics on ALL guns that enter the property room in hopes of finding a gun used in a crime. There is a big backlog last count I had. (via info here)

Hopefully that works out for you. Kirk's comment in my sig is from a thread I started several years ago. TL; DR version, I was held for 45 minutes on the side of the road by an officer ignorant of the law waiting to confirm my LTCH was still valid and that the address on the card was current. His agency was not connected to the ISP database and ISP wouldnt return the calls of dispatch. He finally gave up after taking photos of my gun to prove I had it, as he threatened to come to my home and arrest me (in another city mind you) if he later found out everything wasnt kosher. :rolleyes: He insisted that what was on the card had to be accurate. I cant imagine what he would have done if I didnt have my pink permission slip on me. Even if I had memorized the LTCH number, he couldnt verify it since he couldnt contact ISP.

Years ago there was a requirement to carry your LTCH with you. That requirement was removed a couple of years ago. According to law you must inform ISP if you change your address, but there is no requirement to buy an amended LTCH.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Years ago there was a requirement to carry your LTCH with you. That requirement was removed a couple of years ago. According to law you must inform ISP if you change your address, but there is no requirement to buy an amended LTCH.

You are correct. However Kirk's comment in my sig still stands as illustrated by my story. Not all cops keep up on the laws as they should. The requirement has ALWAYS been "update the address in the database is the only requirement" yet my cop was ignorant to that part of the law.

Everyone is welcome to do what they want (not carry one) but based on my experience, I'll always carry mine and will always get a replacement when my address changes. One confused cop can REALLY ruin your day.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    The street is the place for law enforcement. The street is not the place for ignorant LEO making it up as they go.

You are obviously not ignorant, but I will not be bullied under color of law.

My point is that if you try to argue, it's only going to make it worse for you. This goes double if you're out of state. Any officer that behaves in that manner is clearly not stable, and I wouldn't suggest trying to lecture or correct him, even if he is completely wrong. Ask him to get his supervisor, or call the department. If you remain calm and collected while the officer is steaming at the ears, it's going to look better for you. Also, if it turns physical, whether initiated by you or him (remember, this officer is of fragile ego, and may resort to physical violence when confronted by your superior intellect) when the cavalry arrives, you're the bad guy. They have no idea about what lead up to the fight, only that you're engaged in fisticuffs with an officer.

I don't want to see you, or anyone else, bullied by any LEO for any reason, especially one that is trying to effect an arrest on a peaceable person who is not committing a crime. If he wants to arrest you, let him. He'll find out soon enough that there is no actual statute for the crime with which he is trying to charge you.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    My point is that if you try to argue, it's only going to make it worse for you. This goes double if you're out of state. Any officer that behaves in that manner is clearly not stable, and I wouldn't suggest trying to lecture or correct him, even if he is completely wrong. Ask him to get his supervisor, or call the department. If you remain calm and collected while the officer is steaming at the ears, it's going to look better for you. Also, if it turns physical, whether initiated by you or him (remember, this officer is of fragile ego, and may resort to physical violence when confronted by your superior intellect) when the cavalry arrives, you're the bad guy. They have no idea about what lead up to the fight, only that you're engaged in fisticuffs with an officer.

I don't want to see you, or anyone else, bullied by any LEO for any reason, especially one that is trying to effect an arrest on a peaceable person who is not committing a crime. If he wants to arrest you, let him. He'll find out soon enough that there is no actual statute for the crime with which he is trying to charge you.

Why people can't comprehend this I'll never understand.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Why people can't comprehend this I'll never understand.

If you fight me in the field, I will win. If you fight me in court, you have a fair chance.

I'll always remember Kirk's famous quote:

A confused cop is an arresty cop.

How true that is. Some of us get into policing because we're genuinely passionate about law enforcement. Some get into it because they have no control over their lives, so they want to be in control of something. Don't **** those guys off. It won't go well for you.

You are free to acquiesce to tyranny.

I get that. I understand that. I'm not asking you to acquiesce to tyranny. If there weren't provisions in place to reprimand the officer, and sue the department, that would be tyranny.

Top Bottom