Not your average ordinary everyday find!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Certainly appears to have some battle scars. Missing the top and bottom fore-ends and bayonet mount.

I unscrewed the rear end of the bolt and opened it to clean out the inside. The inside was well lubricated after all these years and looks pretty much new, the safety is functional.

The firing pin has been snipped short, rendering the firearm non-functional. But I'm guessing it shouldn't be too hard to find a firing pin for this rifle. Any thoughts on that?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    That is cleaning up really nice. Shame someone cut the stock down.
    Looks like Liberty Tree Collectors likely has the firing pins.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=864

Thanks for the feedback on the firing pin! That's great news.

As far as the stock goes, I don't think the stock was cut down. I think it's just missing the fore-end pieces and the clamps that hold them on. I'm thinking those could be replaced. No?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County

Thanks for the feedback on the firing pin! That's great news.

As far as the stock goes, I don't think the stock was cut down. I think it's just missing the fore-end pieces and the clamps that hold them on. I'm thinking those could be replaced. No?

I will defer to others with more knowledge of the Gew98 but all the surplus rifles I have restored have had a one piece lower stock. And Bubba just loves to cut on those. Here is a link to a similar stock for the Brazilian Mauser 1908.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3577&idcategory=53

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You don't suppose there was a box, bucket or bin of trinkets that followed the house that might have more gun stuff relating to that gun?
    Discarded project from years past.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    You don't suppose there was a box, bucket or bin of trinkets that followed the house that might have more gun stuff relating to that gun?

Anything is possible. Sadly these rifles were considered junk surplus and the stocks and hardware were commonly cut down to make them look more like an American hunting rifle. Any excess parts were likely scrapped. If they had only known how much collectors value these rifles would eventually command when complete and original.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

If there ever was it's long gone now. Hopefully owner didn't throw something away unknowingly while gutting the shed. But he wouldn't have known, and I wasn't there looking over his shoulder.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Certainly appears to have some battle scars. Missing the top and bottom fore-ends and bayonet mount.

I unscrewed the rear end of the bolt and opened it to clean out the inside. The inside was well lubricated after all these years and looks pretty much new, the safety is functional.

The firing pin has been snipped short, rendering the firearm non-functional. But I'm guessing it shouldn't be too hard to find a firing pin for this rifle. Any thoughts on that?

This is an indicator that the rifle was a "War Bond" rifle. This is information taken from another forum, but I believe it to be accurate. Captured German rifles were awarded to people and organizations that purchased large sums of war bonds. The firing pins on these rifles were clipped to render them inoperable before handing them out to the public. Make sure you keep the clipped firing pin, it is part of the history of your rifle and may add a little value.

It looks like it is cleaning up very well!

I saw the other thread about the caliber, and I think indy1919A4 already answered it. However, I will add to it that the marking on the barrel is the actual bore measurement for your particular rifle. The Germans did this on every rifle, thus there is some variation in the number from one to another, but they are all 8mm Mauser. My rifle is marked 7.90.

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    The early rifles were chambered for the early 8x57j or Patrone 88 round same caliber for the Gew 88 commission rifles and carbines. The round was later updated too the better 7.92×57 S Patrone around 1903. The caliber was even updated more in the Post war and second war period too. By the way what year was your Danzig Gew98 made? And what parts do you need I have alot of spare Gew98 parts for helping with restoration projects.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I'm local and can sell you a firing pin for much less. If you are coming to the Indy 1500 in a couple of weeks, let me know and I can bring you a firing pin and some bands. I MIGHT even have a stock in my warehouse.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The early rifles were chambered for the early 8x57j or Patrone 88 round same caliber for the Gew 88 commission rifles and carbines. The round was later updated too the better 7.92×57 S Patrone around 1903. The caliber was even updated more in the Post war and second war period too. By the way what year was your Danzig Gew98 made? And what parts do you need I have alot of spare Gew98 parts for helping with restoration projects.

It has a 1914 stamp on the stock. From what you said and everything else I've read / heard, this one should be 7.92x57, 8mm Mauser. So far all I need is the firing pin and rear trigger assembly screw.

I'm local and can sell you a firing pin for much less. If you are coming to the Indy 1500 in a couple of weeks, let me know and I can bring you a firing pin and some bands. I MIGHT even have a stock in my warehouse.

I won't be able to make the 1500 but would be happy to cover the shipping costs. Need a firing pin also need a rear trigger assembly screw.

Not sure how the floor plate was intended to be released. There is a recessed button in front of the trigger guard, need to press on it with something that will fit in the recess. Am I missing a part or is that the way it is designed?

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I'm working a field assignment in Minnesota and I rent the upstairs of an old farmhouse that was built in 1865. It's on the National Historic Register.

It's a pretty interesting place. There is a structure that was once a large chicken coupe that was converted to a house, and people currently live in it. There are some large barns on the property that have been converted into reception halls with full kitchens, and the current owner uses the property as a wedding venue.

The current owner has had the property for 17 years. He's is in the process of refurbishing one of the sheds on the property with the intent of making it into a living space to rent.

He was cleaning out the attic of the shed this morning and found this old German WWI Danzig rifle. I'll have to take a close look at it over the weekend, I offered to clean it up for him if he wants me to. Will get some actual model numbers. Would be interesting to get a value on it.

IMG953219_zps3b6ivwqk.jpg
    The barrel looks like the goose rifle cliff45 used to bring to the NWI INGO meet and shoots down in Winamac.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    .32 caliber, long barrel and long range sights... that rascal needs a bucket of wheel weights.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    Looks like it is cleaning up nicely. You might be able to find a complete stock on E-Bay. If the stock was cut under the band you could always make the front part of the stock. The problem with that is trying to match the wood.

Top Bottom