• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I know that the late-war 1911A1s were made with a notch on the upper edge of the rear portion of the trigger bow. Current triggers seem to be a mixed bag - some have the notch and some don't. Is it really all that important?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know what he is referring to. Never really gave it any thought.
    Besides staying true to the gun as built I would not worry about it. Unless that serves some function specific to that frame.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I think it's just a relief cut to ensure that the trigger bow cannot engage the sear legs. Shouldn't matter if all the parts are in spec and tolerances not horribly stacked.

Sometimes you'll see cutout on the bottom of the rear of the bow. That's to ensure that excessive over travel can't cause the bow to lift the sear spring. Did that once on accident. ;)

Sometimes you'll see other cutouts on the back/sides of the bow just to reduce weight.

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

quick google found this:

wpe4A.gif

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    yup. but I can imagine late war, w/ lots of manufactures making these guns besides the original vendor, parts getting swapped at depot, etc....

-rvb

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yeah. Some of the late war production (especially Ithacas) were probably getting pretty loosey-goosey as the machining wore out.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    The rear of the trigger bow is contacted by the grip safety. When fitting the grip safety, it is a gunsmith trick to notch the rear right corner of the trigger bow. This will allow the grip safety leg to retain more metal. This is handy if you ever need to fit another trigger.

The factory notch in the pic serves no defined purpose as far as I know. Might be some oft of index or register for locating the bends during manufacture.

Top Bottom