• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I picked up a CZ-85 a few years ago. It's a fantastic pistol. Like several others have said; check out the CZ-75 variants. That pic of the SP-01 has got me drooling...

Here's my CZ-85:
    DSC01792.jpg

jespol227

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I don't know much about the XDM as far as how it feels since I haven't shot one. I own the XD9mm subcompact and love it! Don't know if this helps at all...but if you haven't held the XD, why not try it? I like the XD9 Sub compact since I have small hands- it fits me perfectly with the regular magazine (10) and fits my fiance's hand well with the extended magazine (15). I shoot it with both and like it either way. Enough with pimping out the XD- just thought I'd share my views :)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Do you want a polymer frame, or steel or does it matter. In that price range, you have Xd/Xdm, Glock, M&P, FN, PX4 storm, P9, to name a few. Might take a look at those, to see if they fit your needs.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I should have specified... It was the XDM 19+1... Didn't like how it felt. :dunno:

Might want to try the regular XD, it's a different gun altogether, and well worth checking out. Since a Glock is your small gun, it's also worth considering a G-17 as your full sized gun. There are advantages to both guns being essentially the same thing. The M&Ps are good guns, a particular favorite of mine is the Beretta 92FS.

breakinparts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Wow...

Looks like my list to try out is going to be:

G17
    CZ - 75 variants
    Bersa 9
    P226 / variant

Then if I don't like any of those i'll keep looking at these suggestions :ingo:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Don't knock the Sig Pro 2022. It's a 9mm just like the 226/229 models except it is a polymer gun!!! Light, DA/SA, decocker, night sights, 2 mags to my door for $490. :yesway:

They weigh as little as a Glock 19, but they are a SIG!

Wow...

Looks like my list to try out is going to be:

G17
    CZ - 75 variants
    Bersa 9
    P226 / variant

Then if I don't like any of those i'll keep looking at these suggestions :ingo:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Another 226 vote here. My feeling is that the only advantage of a polymer gun is the lightweight for carry. For HD, I would rather go steel. (For carry, if manageable, I would rather go steel. ;))

CZs are another solid choice. Just don't mistake an EAA Witness for a true CZ. The Witness is actually made by Tanfoglio, who is *capable* of making a quality firearm like the Match and Elite. My 10mm had issue after issue and the curmudgeon of a EAA smith made the experience reach a never-again status.

Have fun choosing!

CVictor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Crown Point
    Beretta 92FS, standard 15 + 1 and you can get mags for 17 + 1. I love mine, best feeling gun i've ever held. The fact it isn't made of plastic has to count for something too :)

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Ruger P85. I have owned this Rugar since new. Stainless is always nice and they can be had for $250-300 used. Mags are priced comparatively. I have two 25 round mags and three 15 round mags just for the house. Weight of the weapon and Houge grips make this a nice shooter.

dsc04561bf.jpg

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My vote is for a Sig!!

I didn't realize that the P226 had such a large capacity... I love the P220 compact, but I am not sure how the P226 feels.

The standard capacity on the 226 is 15+1, but you can get 19-round mags for it -- I think one or two versions of it actually come with those as standard. Those are obviously pretty bulky for carry, but if strictly for home defense, they would work just fine.

The standard capacity is 15+1 and 20+1 for factory mags for a 226. I prefer the German mags for all my Sigs. You could look for a 228, with a 13+1 mag. Also the 226 15+1 and 20+1 mags work Great in a 228. Yes Sigs are $$$ but for a Home Defence Firearm, How much is your Family worth? :twocents:

I AM ALSO A SIG MAN THE FEEL OF THAT GUN IS HARD TO DISCRIBE (IT IS VERY FLUID) I HAVE NEVER FELT THAT WAY ABOUT A GLOCK
    :+1:

right2arms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Consider a CZ 75 variant, especially the SP-01. It has a decent SA pull which can easily be improved. You can keep it in the drawer with the hammer down on a loaded chamber, which makes the first shot DA and the rest SA. Or with hammer back and safety on. Or with hammer back and no round in the chamber for a quick and easy slide. Lots of options.

Or get the polymer Phantom, which is lighter.

Did I mention it's a tackdriver that holds 19 in the mag, and costs a lot less than a SIG?

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    glock, sig, hk or ruger will all work well for you. you should pick one that feels best when you draw and shoot it.

dschantz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    I just bought a Glock 19 (my first Glock) and I am very impressed with it. I am thinking about adding at least one more to my collection! They get my vote!

R3ydium

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I recently purchased my carry gun, which ended up being a Glock 36 w/ +1 round extentions. Now I am going to look for a high capacity 9mm for home use. I held the XD, didn't like it. I did get to hold the M&P 9... It fit my hand well and I did like it. Any suggestions to look for? :patriot:

For what its worth, I plan on buying the M&P, they seem like GREAT guns:twocents:

Top Bottom