• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I decided if I am going to get serious about carrying my 380 for personal protection, I need to get some personal defense ammo.

I bought a box of Federal Premium 90 gr Hydra Shok JHP ammo for my Bersa 380. Is this a good choice for carry ammo?

Federal Premium - Handgun Details

Do I need to shoot some of it? I think there are reports of some people's 380's not liking JHP bullets. I hate to "waste / test" $1 / bullet ammo.

I have run about 75 rounds of Remington 88 gr JHP ammo through mine in the past when it was all I had to practice with (back when I just got the pistol and couldn't find ammo for it). I had zero problems with that.

Is the Hydra Shok going to be much different?

Anything else I should know about personal defense ammo?

Thanks...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You definitely need to shoot some. Yes $1/round ammo is painful, but do you want to trust your life to ammo that you aren't sure works properly in your gun? Bersa's are generally known for being able to eat about any kind of ammo, so you are in luck there.

There are lots of arguments back and forth about which ammo is best, but the Hydra-Shocks are a fine round. Congrats...

PS- The good news is that .380 ammo is actually starting to show up finally. I've seen it in 2 Walmarts in the last week.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    1) Always choose defense ammunition that is still in production and readily available. 2) Always shoot some of the defense ammo that you are planning to use in your gun.

IMO HydraShok is as good a choice as any.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    I really like the Hornaday Critical Defense in my Bersa. Feeds well. The have a plastic insert in the hollow point that - according to them - keeps it from clogging (such as by hitting a heavy jacket) and expanding prematurely. That way it will expand upon impact with flesh. That is the marketing propaganda anyway :). Like anyone else on this board, I do hope that I never have to find out for myself.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    The Speer Gold Dot JHP .380 ammo has some good specs. I've had no problems putting it thru my Bersa .380. BUT, it's not an easy round to find nowadays.
    Another one I like is Remington Golden Saber 102gr. JHP. It's a few grains heavier than the other brands and maybe (:dunno:) it'll add to the rounds penetration and expansion capability. This ammo is easier to find. It was just advertised in this months Cheaper Than Dirt mailer.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I have put both the Golden Sabers and the Hydra Shoks (current load) through my wife's Bersa Thunder .380. I think both are going to do the job.
    Buy some of each and go shoot them. I know it is expensive, but you need to make sure the gun likes them.

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    buy two boxes. head to the range and shoot one box. use the second box for your weapon.

as has been said already...it's worth $30 if you're going to trust your life with it...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You should ABSOLUTELY shoot what you carry. What if it won't feed and you carry around a paperweight for the next 2 years until something bad happens, only to find out you're dead? How much $$ are you willing to put on that bet?

As for "which ammo", I'd recommend any big-factory JHP that is currently marketed as "Self Defense" or "Law Enforcement" ammo.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The hydarshoks, are a good choice for SD. I have shot them through a few guns without an issue. If you do have problems firing hp's, usualy a feed ramp polish will fix the problem. Yes you should fire any round, before you trust your life with it. How many, well that is a personal prefrence. I have several different brands of hp's, for 9mm and .40. If I buy a brand I do not own, I'll run five rounds for function test. I personaly think brands, like The Hornidays, Speer, etc are over priced. In my opinion you do not need, to spend $1+ per round for a good self defense load. At the same time, do not buy cheap crap. Not for sure if they make them for a .380, but I have had really good luck with Winchester Ranger. Localy I can get 9mm, and .40 for $21 a box of 50. So I'm not sure how much .380 would be. They do perform verly well balisticaly though.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Do I need to shoot some of it? I think there are reports of some people's 380's not liking JHP bullets. I hate to "waste / test" $1 / bullet ammo.

You aren't wasting. You are making sure it works. We have 150+ rounds of Buffalo Bore +p .380 auto that I just bought $1.21 a round shipped. I'm going to put at least 30 more rounds of it through cuz it had one failure to feed when we got the first box. I think it was just a fluke/it wasn't broken in enough. All the bulk FMJ ammo I've ordered is still on back order. Speaking of which, anyone know where I can get some?

Top Bottom