Now THAT'S a Snake!!!!!!!! (Part two Redux)....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    5FFFC293-6BAF-4AFB-95F4-ACF1336DC6DB_zpsyn5kvr75.jpg

8D0818BD-5D5A-472D-90BD-4BF4FF4440F3_zps5vcwd9qc.jpg

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I once cut the top of a little green snakes head off while mowing the yard. Didnt see the it in the grass. My boys were young and I thought I would show em how to skin a snake so I lopped off what was left of its head ( dont think he was gonna make it) and threw it up on the shooting bench. So two hours later, yards done and I gather up the boys to go skin the snake. I walk up to the little headless feller and grab it by the tail. It turned around and struck my thumb with its stump! I screamed like a girl and chucked it into the hay field. Not my best manly moment.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I once cut the top of a little green snakes head off while mowing the yard. Didnt see the it in the grass. My boys were young and I thought I would show em how to skin a snake so I lopped off what was left of its head ( dont think he was gonna make it) and threw it up on the shooting bench. So two hours later, yards done and I gather up the boys to go skin the snake. I walk up to the little headless feller and grab it by the tail. It turned around and struck my thumb with its stump! I screamed like a girl and chucked it into the hay field. Not my best manly moment.

That's funny.

Many years ago my brother and I had found a large black rat snake, recently dead. We had decided that we were going to skin it and preserve the skin. For whatever reason, we couldn't skin it at that time, so we coiled it up and froze it. When the time came, we got it out and put it on the workbench in the garage to thaw.

Hours later, we were in the back yard doing something and one of our friends came over and when he came through the garage, we heard a shriek and some commotion. It turned out, our friend had seen the snake (then thawed out) and thought it was fake and thought he'd scare us with it, but when he grabbed it, he swore it hissed, he realized it was real and dropped it and then fell over the bikes trying to get away. We ran in and he was all tangled up in the bikes and all he could get out was "s-s-s-snake!"

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I walk up to the little headless feller and grab it by the tail. It turned around and struck my thumb with its stump! I screamed like a girl and chucked it into the hay field. Not my best manly moment.

The "how" and details are all above my paygrade, but the interaction of nerve clusters and physical reaction prior to (and in this case instead of) waiting for the brain to decide after knowing what's up is pretty interesting. If your nerves are working right, you'll jerk away from a burn before your brain knows you're burned. If your nerves are damaged, you won't notice you're burning until you smell the skin cooking. (Trust me...)

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Man I haven't seen a hognose in a long time. I had several as pets when I was a little kid back in th e 60's and 70's. They are awesome snakes and now I would leave them be. I don't kill snakes anymore and fortunately I haven't ran across any poisonous ones as I may change my mind depending on where I see them. All I've seen around the house have been garter and black snakes. I found three skins over 4' long in my garage but never have seen the snake. Doesn't bother me but freaks my wife out.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a friend who live on a farm, when he was collecting vegetable he always carry a gun with shot shells. In case of snake. Low and behold, when I was visiting him, he saw one and shot it. Then snake no more.

Top Bottom