• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JenTheGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Castleton, IN
    I completed my first training course today, and it was a really positive experience, so I figured I'd share it with you guys!

I went to Tactical Firearms Training and the course was taught by the owner, Guy Relford. His presentation style was laid back, VERY knowledgeable, and I loved that he is a lawyer and could answer every law-related question with authority.

The first half of the class was all classroom discussion. It was a lot like my crash-course at the range, very safety-centered, and all pretty basic stuff that any pistol owner should know. It really makes me wonder if Indiana shouldn't have some sort of training required for the LTCH, but I won't open that can of worms. I liked the focus on aiming and sights, how to get everything lined up right. To hear it simplified and laid out actually did improve my shooting pretty drastically.

After the classroom overview, we went out to the range to actually shoot.

480486_594252356643_555162641_n.jpg

The only one of mine that strayed outside the gray was fired RIGHT after the instructor said, "You're doing pretty good..." "...until I said that." Heh. Oops.

We weren't in the part of the range open to the public, we were over where the IMPD trains, surrounded by shot up cars and plywood with rusty metal baffles hanging above us. They had five instructors doing 1 on 1 instruction. They had us try different stances, made sure our grips were solid, called where the shots landed so we could adjust. It was quite fun. I enjoyed seeing how patient the instructors were with the students who had never even shot a gun before - they walked us through everything so it was very comfortable and not intimidating.

They were also very strict on safety. I was surprised how, even after going OVER and OVER it soooo many times in the classroom, sometime people just don't get it until it is demonstrated in person. One lady hit a bullseye and then went WAHOOO! and waved her hands, gun and all, in the air. The instructor grabbed her and pointed it back downrange and everyone behind them just went, "Oh. My. God."

We went back to the classroom to thaw out (very cold out there), and went over how to pick out an appropriate gun for what you're wanting to do, what types of things to look for, and a general overview before we took the NRA test.

I'm already trying to figure out what I want to do next as far as training. I'm not sure how "real" I am wanting to be, but I think I like the sound of Guy's 'Basic Defense In The Home' course. I also like the idea of the Comprehensive Indiana Gun Laws course.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I completed my first training course today, and it was a really positive experience, so I figured I'd share it with you guys!

I went to Tactical Firearms Training and the course was taught by the owner, Guy Relford. His presentation style was laid back, VERY knowledgeable, and I loved that he is a lawyer and could answer every law-related question with authority.

The first half of the class was all classroom discussion. It was a lot like my crash-course at the range, very safety-centered, and all pretty basic stuff that any pistol owner should know.

Did you feel like the course was at the right level for you? Tell us the most important thing you learned in the class.

It really makes me wonder if Indiana shouldn't have some sort of training required for the LTCH, but I won't open that can of worms.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here.

I liked the focus on aiming and sights, how to get everything lined up right. To hear it simplified and laid out actually did improve my shooting pretty drastically.

Its usually pretty drastic how you improve when you focus on the right stuff.

I'm already trying to figure out what I want to do next as far as training. I'm not sure how "real" I am wanting to be, but I think I like the sound of Guy's 'Basic Defense In The Home' course. I also like the idea of the Comprehensive Indiana Gun Laws course.

Can you elaborate on the emphasized section here? Why would you not want it to be real?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I completed my first training course today, and it was a really positive experience,

Congrats! You took a big and very necessary step into the world of firearms training.

I loved that he is a lawyer and could answer every law-related question with authority.

That is a nice "perk". :yesway:

It really makes me wonder if Indiana shouldn't have some sort of training required for the LTCH,

I think the way you did it works just fine-- you voluntarily and actively pursued the 'software' to compliment your 'hardware'. That means you got more out of the experience when compared to someone who might've been forced to be there.

They were also very strict on safety.

IMO this is the hallmark of a good training outfit. Strict adherence to the 4-rules must be the standard-- on the range and in the street.

I'm already trying to figure out what I want to do next as far as training. I'm not sure how "real" I am wanting to be, but I think I like the sound of Guy's 'Basic Defense In The Home' course.

If your interest in firearms revolves around target practice, plinking, or shooting sports, then you can forsake "real" and work toward refining your shooting skills. But if your interest crosses into defense you'll want your future training to be as "real" as possible. First defining your training goals will help you work toward the best path.

Thanks for sharing your AAR!

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    The only one of mine that strayed outside the gray was fired RIGHT after the instructor said, "You're doing pretty good..." "...until I said that." Heh. Oops.

I could tell as soon as I said it, it would be a jinx for that shot, but you were doing very well.

Personal Protection In The Home is a good foundational course, and one you will get even more out of the classroom portion than Basic Pistol. It is certainly worth considering.

JenTheGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Castleton, IN
    Did you feel like the course was at the right level for you? Tell us the most important thing you learned in the class.

The course was aimed at people who have never shot a gun before, and was definitely at the right level for them. I've been to the range several times and have some friends who have drilled into me the safety laws, showed me how to clean the gun, etc, so for me there wasn't a huge amount of new material. But, I definitely did learn. One of the most practical/useful things was how to rack a slide that is very stiff. The way I used to do it always hurt my fingers and half the time I couldn't get the job done without cussing.

Can you elaborate on the emphasized section here? Why would you not want it to be real?

I think esrice understood where I was going with that. I like the sporting aspect of it and enjoy getting better at target shooting - not terribly "real", paper doesn't shoot back. While I have my LTCH, I've never carried it out before and am probably not quite ready to make that decision. I would want "real" world type training before I do that. I'm definitely going that direction, but I want to be prepared when I decide to accept that responsibility.

Top Bottom