• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigShow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Then something was wrong. All you need is their number...and YOU give that to them, not the sponsor.

I was on hold for 35 min when a lady answered, told her I was interested in the sponsored life membership. She asked for my sponsors number which I gave and then she said that I needed to have my sponsor call in and confirm that he was sponsoring me, then for me to call back and they would take care of it. I will try again, maybe someone different will answer.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Im a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment but I dont know much about NRA memberships. Why are you guys and gals members of the NRA? Im thinking about joining some day and would like a little education first. Thanks in advance.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I was on hold for 35 min when a lady answered, told her I was interested in the sponsored life membership. She asked for my sponsors number which I gave and then she said that I needed to have my sponsor call in and confirm that he was sponsoring me, then for me to call back and they would take care of it. I will try again, maybe someone different will answer.

I'm sending you a PM. That ^ should have taken less than three minutes.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Confusion Reigns Supreme; Lifetime Membership Sponsorships

I just finished a phone call with NRA after a 40 minute (!) hold time. I was calling in response to yet another PM asking me to sponsor a new NRA Life Membership, which I'm always happy to do.

The person seeking sponsorship from me was told by the NRA that I had to call in to confirm the sponsorship (and give their name, NRA number, and ZIP code).

THIS IS NOT TRUE! Those seeking lifetime memberships need only give their sponsoring Life Member's NRA number. Don't let any NRA rep. tell you otherwise.

Now get out there, support NRA and other 2A causes, and urge others to do the same.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Those seeking lifetime memberships need only give their sponsoring Life Member's NRA number. Don't let any NRA rep. tell you otherwise.

This ^.

And make sure you're calling the right number and choosing the correct option;
    Call 800-672-3888 select option 3

You'll need;
    • Sponsor's number
    • Your credit card number
    • Your own current NRA number if you have one*
    *Mine had lapsed but they facilitated a lifetime "upgrade" for me anyway... and it was still under a few minutes of call time.

Deusvult

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Southside of Indianapolis
    Some of the terms and conditions on the NRA page seem to indicate that this deal may only be available to new members. Can anyone who is a current NRA member upgrade to a lifetime membership using this deal? Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?

Thanks for any help.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Called the NRA today with my sponsors info and was told my sponsor had to call them and give them my name and state he was sponsoring me. I will try again once I can ask my sponsor to call in. Just a heads up to those sponsoring others.

Same here! I Called yesterday and the Lady told me that my Sponsor would need to call in and verify before they could honor the $300 deal. Well My Sponsor from the INGO was gracious enough to call, and after being on hold for 40 minutes, he was told "Thanks but it is not necessary for the Sponsor to call".:dunno: After letting me know this, I called and was told that whoever took his call did not make a note on my account and that she was not supposed to honor the deal without it. That the Sponsor is supposed to call and the person taking the call is supposed to note it on your account. As it turns out the Lady that I spoke to today is the same one I talked to yesterday. She said she remembered my calling and, after talking to a supervisor, came back and told me they would do the deal for me. :D

Long Story short, Sponsors may be required to call. Sounds like it depends on who answers the phone.

BTSTEVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Same here! I Called yesterday and the Lady told me that my Sponsor would need to call in and verify before they could honor the $300 deal. Well My Sponsor from the INGO was gracious enough to call, and after being on hold for 40 minutes, he was told "Thanks but it is not necessary for the Sponsor to call".:dunno: After letting me know this, I called and was told that whoever took his call did not make a note on my account and that she was not supposed to honor the deal without it. That the Sponsor is supposed to call and the person taking the call is supposed to note it on your account. As it turns out the Lady that I spoke to today is the same one I talked to yesterday. She said she remembered my calling and, after talking to a supervisor, came back and told me they would do the deal for me. :D

Long Story short, Sponsors may be required to call. Sounds like it depends on who answers the phone.

Yes, if you call and they tell you that you need the sponsor to call, it is best to just try to call and get another operator that will sign you up. This happens every time they offer this and people can call back get a different op and that usually works.

As far as all the emails and mail you will receive as a member. If you log on to the member part of their website you can opt out of emails and snail mail and they will not bother you. I get tired of people bashing the NRA about solicitations, when all they have to do is opt out.:dunno:

I am signing up my 15 year old son and maybe my wife if I can afford it.

There goes the ammo money, but I can't find any anyways.:xmad:

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I upgraded today. I was on hold about 20 minutes, but the actual transaction took less than 2 minutes. The first thing the operator asked me was "Do you have your sponsor's member number?" The rest of the conversation was just my NRA number and cc info. It was pretty simple. Nothing about needing to get the sponsor to to call.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    Im a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment but I dont know much about NRA memberships. Why are you guys and gals members of the NRA? Im thinking about joining some day and would like a little education first. Thanks in advance.

I didn't notice anyone had answered your question so I'll attempt.

My dad and my grandpa had been NRA members. When I was 18, I bought my first rifle as if it was a rite of passage. Shortly after, I also joined the NRA after viewing one of their membership drives on cable TV. I made it a point to read their magazines, learn from them, and understand that our right to own a gun was much more then just for shooting cans and hunting.

In the following years as I made new friends and talked with co-workers who didn't own a gun, but where at least interested in ownership, I always said to them to let me point you to an NRA safety and personal protection course as a starting point! The NRA was the one organization that I could always point to as a place to start. (And I still do.)

I myself grew up around guns (mostly .22 rifles). It was part of growing up with the men of the family. Guns were always treated as serious business. We were never to mess around or act stupid with guns. I recall I did something minor when I was 11, and I was reprimanded for it. Family had a good reason, as my grandparents lost their first born 12-year old son due to an shooting accident. (I'll note that the family never blamed the gun for the accident.) I even recall my grandmother having a talk with me about being safe. I also saw while hunting what even a .22 bullet could do...

So as I said the NRA was the one group I could always point someone to. I remember one time when I went shooting with a co-worker, who was acting stupid and frankly was being dangerous. I wanted to say to him, "Didn't anyone tell you that's just wrong?!" He obviously didn't have the advantage of growing up with the men I did, or at least being properly taught how to handle guns!

Fast forward a few years, the wonderful woman that I married, when we first started to date, she soon heard that I had guns in my house and gave me a look as if I was crazy. I certainly didn't think I was? I thought to myself, "Why I'm a responsible gun owner, and a member of the NRA! Who are you calling crazy?!" So I proceeded to take her out into the mountains and let her shoot a couple of my guns. She was interested…!

Once we were married, I took my own advice and signed her up for an NRA safety and personal protection course, that I took along with her. The courses were excellent, and so where the materials and the instructors! Not only did they cover the basics of how guns work, but also range time, safety, protecting yourself with gun, and the legal aspects of all of it. It was all excellent!

In closing, I do appreciate other pro-gun groups, but there is power in numbers. Power in education... safety... use... and in keeping our right to own, use, protect our families, lives, country, and what we work for. All responsible gun owners should be a member of the NRA. And this is why to this day I am a life-time member.

:patriot:

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    As far as all the emails and mail you will receive as a member. If you log on to the member part of their website you can opt out of emails and snail mail and they will not bother you. I get tired of people bashing the NRA about solicitations, when all they have to do is opt out.:dunno:

I work for a member based non-profit, and I can tell you that membership dues do not cover what an organization does for or in the name of its members.

If a member doesn't like the mailings, then don't respond and eventually they'll figure out that you won't give them any money beyond your membership dues and they'll remove you from their mailings as it's a waste of printing and postage costs. However, understand that few people will ever give an extra $10 to an organization unless asked to. That is why they ask.

Top Bottom