NRA national meeting next year. Should I go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    With the national meeting of the NRA happening in Indianapolis next year, I am thinking this would be an excellent opportunity to try and attend. At the very least, I can show my support for the 2nd Amendment. Can I ask a quick question? WHY should I go? Besides seeing the huge trade show, what other things happen at these meetings? Could some of you who have been to other meetings give a description of what is on the agenda? I have seen a couple of threads here on INGO discussing the upcoming meeting but details about the actual schedule doesn't seem to be readily available. For some reason, the Internet seems to be a little bare on what actually happens at these meetings. I have only been interested in gun ownership for about 5 years so this will be my first meeting that I can actually attend.

Thanks in advance for your time! :)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can I ask a quick question? WHY should I go? Besides seeing the huge trade show, what other things happen at these meetings? For some reason, the Internet seems to be a little bare on what actually happens at these meetings.

Thanks in advance for your time! :)

Itinerary is divulged only to attendees, thus the lack of internet information.
    It's a super-secret meeting, with super-secret handshakes and everything!

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    If you have to ask its not for you. You would never make it past the handshake anyway. May I suggest the Indiana home and garden show instead.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Bobby,
    You asked a good question. Asked it in a polite manor and with some thought behind it.
    I have never been and really don't know what to expect.
    Only thing I can gather from the previous 4 posts is well... nothing.
    Guess the local NRA guys are not up to giving you a respectful answer.
    Good luck sir.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Bobby,
    You asked a good question. Asked it in a polite manor and with some thought behind it.
    I have never been and really don't know what to expect.
    Only thing I can gather from the previous 4 posts is well... nothing.
    Guess the local NRA guys are not up to giving you a respectful answer.
    Good luck sir.

I didn't take offense. In fact, the humor and discussion(on topic or not) encountered on here is why I spend more time browsing than I probably should. When I first joined INGO, I knew nothing about guns other than I wanted one for home protection. Through the site, I learned about gun manufacturers, different calibers, rifles, shotguns, handguns, 2nd Amendment politics, guns laws throughout Indiana, etc. Did everything stay on topic? Nope and I wouldn't have it any other way. :yesway:

So, did I get my question answered tonight? No, but I still had a good laugh over the responses. Plus, I learned the only reason people go to the national meetings is for the trade show. This tells me how much FUN the rest of the meeting truly is. :):

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Join us for the 143[SUP]rd[/SUP] NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits at the Indiana Convention Center in the center of downtown Indianapolis, IN, April 25-27, 2014!
    With over 600 exhibitors covering over 400,000 square feet of exhibit hall space, educational seminars, celebrities, and fun filled special events, bring the whole family- there will be something for everyone! Spend the day exploring the products from every major firearm company in the country, book the hunt of a lifetime in our exclusive outfitter section, and view priceless collections of firearms in our gun collector area. You'll also see knives, wildlife art, shooting accessories, hunting gear, ATV's, and much more!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Join us for the 143[SUP]rd[/SUP] NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits at the Indiana Convention Center in the center of downtown Indianapolis, IN, April 25-27, 2014!
    With over 600 exhibitors covering over 400,000 square feet of exhibit hall space, educational seminars, celebrities, and fun filled special events, bring the whole family- there will be something for everyone! Spend the day exploring the products from every major firearm company in the country, book the hunt of a lifetime in our exclusive outfitter section, and view priceless collections of firearms in our gun collector area. You'll also see knives, wildlife art, shooting accessories, hunting gear, ATV's, and much more!

My response was not sarcastic, nor was it meant to offend anyone. I meant it as literally as it sounds. The reason that not many people that go know much about the meetings is because MOST people that go are going for the reason that you posted above. Also, the same reason I said in my post.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you are a voting member, you can attend the NRA business meetings and vote. You can hear some well-known speakers give presentations. You can meet famous people in the pro-2A and firearms community. You can attend NRA classes. You can attend the entertainment event which is usually a country-western music activity. You can browse the NRA store and of course tour the exhibit hall, which is worth it all by itself.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I will be attending the Indy NRA meeting this next April, but have never attended one before. I looked at their site, but there is no info on how to register yet. Any idea when registration opens up and NRA members will be receiving mail/e-mail on it?

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I will be attending the Indy NRA meeting this next April, but have never attended one before. I looked at their site, but there is no info on how to register yet. Any idea when registration opens up and NRA members will be receiving mail/e-mail on it?

I certainly plan on going, it is in Indy, why wouldn't I go :rockwoot:. It would be nice if when registration starts we could get a post up on the forum.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I volunteered to work in the NRA store for the NRA meeting in Louisville. I missed out on getting to attend a class or two which I would have liked attending, but the fun I had made up for it. I hope some of you will volunteer to help out in some capacity at the next one.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    From what I've heard, admitance to the convention is free if you are an NRA member (there may be some restrictions). The only thing that it will cost you is gas, parking, and what ever food you decide to buy during your stay.

With it being so close, my question would be, why shouldn't you go?

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    In one word..."Jessie"!

To gaze at Jessie Duff (noob, look her up...well woth it). Jessie is awesome, but really, the show itself is worth the trip, take the 1500 gun show x 4 in size and x 7 in awesomeness! I like the show to be able to speak to the manufactureres. At the 1500 Indy show, there are only dealers. The political speakers are great as well and if you like country (extra cost and will sell out early) outstanding. Not to mention, a chance to win a gun on the "Wall of Guns", the NRA store, etc. You will surely have an awesome time. I will always go if it is within 300 miles of where I live. PS. Allow at least a full day to do the show, if you don't want to run through it and want to see it all!

Top Bottom