• ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    :)

just tried to "sell" me a "knife dedicated to the troops. made to very high specs!"............. so, i thought it only fair to try to sell her one of mine!.... or even take her "donated" knife in trade for half the value.......

she didn't bite. but i invited her to donate her time to sell my knives to people trying to make dinner! :rockwoot:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I activated a free 1 year membership a few months ago and they've been bugging me ever since to pay dues . When it's up I'll pony up the dough .

yeah. i would donate more if i could.... and maybe i'd donate more if they quit calling me every night, or mailing me paper to toss in the trash!:dunno:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Uh..... well, I called 'em a few years ago, and asked 'em to take me off their solicitation list if they wanted me to continue my membership. I've rarely heard from 'em since, except for my American Rifleman magazine.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Uh..... well, I called 'em a few years ago, and asked 'em to take me off their solicitation list if they wanted me to continue my membership. I've rarely heard from 'em since, except for my American Rifleman magazine.

Me too. Much better now. 1-877-NRA-2000

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    yeah. i would donate more if i could.... and maybe i'd donate more if they quit calling me every night, or mailing me paper to toss in the trash!:dunno:

I agree. Too much junk mail. I'll have to call that number.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It'll take some weeks to get down to "no mail"...they have the next month's labels already run and "reminder" letters already printed. Be patient, but it will stop. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Jay, I did the same as you did. I never have received a telephone call from them and I rarely get their junk mail requests for continuing donations or advertisements.

I absolutely abhor the life insurance inserts in my utility bills, but without going paperless they say they have no way of stopping the inserts. Grrrr!

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    The junk mail is an annoyance, for sure...

...but the NRA is one of our strongest voices in Washington D.C. Lobby groups like the NRA run on money like a car runs on gas. If the mailings didn't pay off, they wouldn't send them out.

For folks who have a regular donation plan that doesn't rely on junk mail reminders, just place the call and get taken off the solicitation list. It doesn't eliminate the mailings, but it does significantly reduce them.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You are right. I know a fellow on the board of directors and he said that the NRA is successful 30% of the time with their mailings. He also said that the money spent for mailings comes from interest they get and so no money donated actually goes for paying for their solicitation program. It is very successful. That being said, I got on their no-solicitation list a while back. It took several weeks for it to kick-in, but now I am not bombarded with their mailings. I do get the Second Amendment Foundation and GOA mailings.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    That's why I dropped my membership. Two solicitation letters a week, as I saw it, was a waste of MY money, which could have gone to more worthy enterprises... Such as kicking Sens Schumer, Feinstein, et al, out of office.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Direct mail is a science. If you don't like the mailing, just opt out of them.

But the NRA, and any other organization, is very scientific about their methodology on the mailings.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    That's why I dropped my membership. Two solicitation letters a week, as I saw it, was a waste of MY money
    I'm gonna quote something Fletch said a while back, because it has to do with this gripe and it also just bears repeating:

" The NRA, like many other organizations once a certain critical mass is reached, diverts significant amounts of money from "the cause" to "maintaining the organization". A lot of people I hear complaining gripe about the NRA HQ, the extravagance of its annual convention, and so forth. It's a Catch-22, of course: without "the show", it has a hard time recruiting members and schmoozing politicians. The NRA is not perfect, and it is fairly moderate in its pro-gun stance, compared to the other organizations. But it's the 800-pound gorilla, and you want him on your side."

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been a member for a number of years and I've never gotton a phone call. I do get plenty of mail and I have sent money in. The mail really doesn't bother me, but they sent me a book one time and said if I didn't want it to send it back. After I got a couple bills I called and told them I have the book and I'm not paying for it or sending it back. The lady was real nice and said ok. That really pissed me off when they did that.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I must be a bad risk or something. I have been a NRA member for years and never get phone calls. Only once a year do I get mail (besides the magazine) and that's asking to renew. Why are some members besieged with unwanted contact? Do you think the NRA uses some kind of profile or is it just random?

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    That's why I dropped my membership. Two solicitation letters a week, as I saw it, was a waste of MY money, which could have gone to more worthy enterprises... Such as kicking Sens Schumer, Feinstein, et al, out of office.

It's going to take much MUCH more than the NRA to get rid of Chucky and Di.

But, while the NRA is not perfect, it does present a potent force for the liberals to deal with. If you decide to rejoin, tell them to stop the mailings to you... it does cut down on the soliciations.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Read the bold print in my post that appears just before yours.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom