• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    What do you think? Does an NRA window decal of my truck sitting outside my house make a burglary/break in less likley because a BG thinks he may get shot or more likley because he expects to find guns to steal?

(I live within a city subdivision, by the way.) Your thoughts appreciated!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    There are differing opinions on this issue.

Some feel it could be an effective deterrent, while others feel it may actually be more of a magnet, suggesting firearms might be found inside.

I have NRA decals on my truck, and a "Lifer" sign on the front gable of my house. I also have other lines of defense.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I doubt that it changes the statistical probability of a theft event occuring very much (probably not at all.) Vandalism? It may increase the chances slightly.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Search is your friend as this has been discussed here many times. But in my case I have been a member from 1974 and have had an NRA decal on every vehicle I have ever had and no one has broke into them. As to rather that has any bearing on home break ins, I don't know. My home was broken into in 1978 so who knows.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have had a NRA sticker on my truck for a long time...even when I let my membership lapse for a few years. They send you so many...share with friends! :)

I suspect the snake on my rear bumper gets more hate than a NRA decal.

kkoger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I'd say while criminals are obviously dumb low life s*** stains on the underpants of society kind of people, they are still calculative. They still think with their own safety in mind. They have to. It's human nature. Without getting into the debate on OC bs CC I believe it holds true to my opinion on OC. Present yourself as a person with values and morality. I believe showing that you support the 2nd amendment by either carrying or slapping an NRA sticker on your truck/car you are deterring some potential for a criminal to believe you are a possible victim. It's not a show for attention, be it good or bad, it's your way of taking the precautions you believe will responsibly strengthen your own personal and family's safety.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Does an NRA window decal of my truck sitting outside my house

Why don't you park your car in your garage?:dunno:

I've done a bunch of "car hops", never had one where they were looking for guns.

If you keep a firearm in your car, either park your car in your garage or take it inside with you.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    There are differing opinions on this issue.

Some feel it could be an effective deterrent, while others feel it may actually be more of a magnet, suggesting firearms might be found inside.

I have NRA decals on my truck, and a "Lifer" sign on the front gable of my house. I also have other lines of defense.

I think it's some of both, personally. A deterrent if potential invaders know you're home, and a magnet if they know you're gone.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    I have ADT home security labels on all the doors/windows and have reinforced doors.
    I prefer not to advertise firearms to keep the element of surprise on the BGs.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I'm an "under the radar" type myself.

Perhaps some outward-facing bullet holes around chest height in the front door would serve as a deterrent?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I just put one of these on my windows.

gun-sign-LABEL_PROHIB_175-R_300.gif

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Personally I believe it to be a fairly effective deterrent. A criminal, like any dangerous animal takes the path of least resistance - safest for their own survival. That's why they attack the weak and defenseless.

Most of us agree "Gun Free" zones are the most likely to be the scene of attacks. I believe houses and auto's with a NRA decal is an "announcement" that it is likely that an attempt to plunder or rob this place will be met with a firearm. I think this is a "poor" target for a Criminal. They don't know for sure if someone is home or if the driver of the vehicle is going to return or is watching! I think most would seek a "weaker" target!

Many of the older members remember, several years ago when a county in Illinois passed a strict gun control law, making it almost impossible to possess a firearm. Another county nearby passed an ordinance requiring citizens to have a firearm in their home - and even helped furnish the guns. The crime rate soared in the "gun free" county and went to almost zero in the "armed" county.

Most if not all criminals have or know how to obtain a firearm Illegally without any danger. I don't really think a criminal is going to rob a place just to obtain a firearm. Many other items - jewelery, cash, tools etc. are as, or more profitable to the criminal without the danger of being shot.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    A NRA sticker on your vehicle, driving in a 'no gun' community (Chicago was mentioned) could be sufficient 'articulable facts' or 'reasonable suspicion' to get you stopped and your person and vehicle searched. Even if you're entirely within the law (didn't take a weapon to Chicago, for example), you could be held up for 45 mins. - 1 hr. while the cops 'thoroughly' search your vehicle looking for that (non-existent) gun.

A NRA sticker on your car or home could provide the criminal an incentive to break in to your vehicle. OR it could an incentive for one of the many 'Feinstein-esque' whackos to vandalize your vehicle when you're not around. Even IF you have all weapons secured in a 5 ton safe with a 'bank vault' door, what ELSE in your home might be worth stealing?

Experience overseeing and interacting with many violent criminals over the decades proved to me that criminals do NOT necessarily 'take the path of least resistance', or 'shy away' from guns or gun-toters simply BECAUSE they're gun-toters.

Anyone truly believing hardened criminals are 'scared' of your gun or your carrying are either woefully naïve and/or maintain a potentially life-altering misconception of how criminals actually ARE. Make sure your gun is protection and not merely comfort.

Criminals are NOT necessarily lazy, and will plot, plan, and work over extended periods of time to get what they want. SOME are, but many more are opportunists. They'll focus on their 'prey' for days, weeks, or months until the 'right moment' presents itself.

Even Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold, James Holmes, and Adam Lanza went to some length to plan their attacks. Psychotic? Yes. Lazy? No.

Is it better to 'fly under the radar'? Personal choice.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No NRA stickers on my truck. I wanted to get an NRA license plate but my wife said NO. Not worried about police interaction. Not really worried about theft. She was concerned about vandalism. Don't want to give some punk reason to run a key down the side of the vehicle.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    McMaster-Carr item #5699K29 is 1/32" thick flexible magnetic sheet, 3" wide and sold by the foot for less than $1.00/ft. If you really want to sport bumper stickers when appropriate but peel them off when necessary you could always put your bumper stickers on some of this.

EDIT: Bumper stickers are typically 3" wide.

kkoger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    If anyone has Netflix, look up 'street thief'. Its a documentary following a couple criminals and professional burglars. I found it the other day just browsing and thought it looked pretty informative for preparing against this type of crime. Check it out and let me know what you all think. It has a happy ending as well.

Top Bottom