Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    If you buy land on the West, you're pretty much :poop:

Think about it.....The Japanese Nuclear meldown carryed the radiation from the West to the East.

On the map you provided; Those located on the West coast are a SEVERE THREAT. Think about, they are located in California. The most earthquake active zone in the US.

They've come out and said that the Nuclear Plants are not capable of sustaining a 7.0 or 8.0 earthquake. And that's not even county the Tsunami/aftershocks.

The other 2nd most dangerous are the ones near the madrid fault line. The main key is if they can control a nuclear meltdown. Which i don't think they can. They need fresh water to cool the rods down, and it would STILL let radiation into the air.

3rd most dangerous is on the East coast. Haven't done much research there, but a tsunami or earthquake or nuclear attack.....:noway:

My suggestion would be to find a location that is AWAY from the jet stream winds. Preferly north (if you can withstand the snow in winter) or South (if you can withstand the heat in summer).

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'm no weather expert, but from what I've seen those plants in Texas and Arkansas could be troublesome too. It seems that a lot of our weather comes from down that way.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to live not far from Simi Vally (in the mid 80's). Never even heard about a nuclear accident happening there decades earlier.

And it was supposedly worse than 3-mile island or any other accident in the US.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I know of atleast 4 active reactors not on that list.

austin-powers-4-more-about-dr-evil.jpg

Do tell....

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I was meaning the picture not the wiki btw.

Goose Creek, SC (Just North of Charleston) has 2 and Ballston Spa, NY (just West of Saratoga Springs, NY) has 2. And atleast 2 decom'd, you can still see the mini epcot containment ball on google maps.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Guess the US Navy reactors (land-based) don't make the list/s... That'd explain Goose Creek; as that's where the USN's Reactor Training School is located. Also the Ballston Spa; as it's also part of the USN Reactor Training School.

And that graphic posted in the OP is missing FIVE decommissioned reactors, according to NRC: Fact Sheet on Decommissioning Nuclear Power Plants

At least I think I counted 17 yellow circles on the graphic vs. 22 listed on that website.

-J-

Enforcer831

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Maybe I'm wrong but isn't there a nuclear plant on 74 as you cross into Ohio? I could have swore I saw one a year or two back.

Not to my knowledge. If you drove for anytime on US 52 past Cincinnati you may have seen what looks like a cooling tower near Moscow, OH. It never was a nuke plant and has always been coal due to some complaints from the locals during construction.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Not to my knowledge. If you drove for anytime on US 52 past Cincinnati you may have seen what looks like a cooling tower near Moscow, OH. It never was a nuke plant and has always been coal due to some complaints from the locals during construction.

That must be it, I used to live in California and we had a plant in our back yard, I was young and when I saw those in Ohio area I thought it had to be a Nuke plant. Thanks for clearing that up!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, there are several coal-fired plant cooling towers that look similar to Nuke plant cooling towers.

The one at the beach in Michigan City is also often mistaken for a Nuke.

-J-

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    People worry a b***h too much about nuclear power plants. As long as you don't have some morons like Tokyo Electric running the show, you're in good shape.

I did a stint as a Reactor Operator for the Navy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy land next to a nuclear reactor. In fact, it would put an armed security team to at least one side of my land. That means I would only have to defend the other 3 directions.

People who use the NIMBY (Not in my back yard) mentality with nuclear power plants lack a LOT of information to make an educated and informed decision.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    People worry a b***h too much about nuclear power plants. As long as you don't have some morons like Tokyo Electric running the show, you're in good shape.

I did a stint as a Reactor Operator for the Navy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy land next to a nuclear reactor. In fact, it would put an armed security team to at least one side of my land. That means I would only have to defend the other 3 directions.

People who use the NIMBY (Not in my back yard) mentality with nuclear power plants lack a LOT of information to make an educated and informed decision.

Like most things... They're 100% perfectly safe until all of a sudden something happens and it's not safe any more. :D

What happened in Japan was almost a perfect storm of events; everything that could've gone wrong did go wrong. Couple that with a "shame based society" and things snowballed (Gee, kind of like a nuclear reaction!) from there.

Me personally? I'd just as soon that the US Navy be in charge of running ALL the Nuclear Power plants in the US (not own them, just operate them - let the companies pay their salaries)

-J-

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom