• ...and so much more!
  • How many do you reload per year?

• Total voters

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    In light of all the different threads about one press versus another, I was curious how many total reloads, rifle and pistol, forum members tend to crank out on their equipment.

Personally, I load a fairly equal amount of rifle and pistol loads each year, but that's because I'm a rifle nut and have only a passing interest in pistols. I have as many Contender barrels of 10" or longer as I do conventional pistols, so my total load count isn't all that high, with maybe a few more rifle loads than many folks.

Anyway, please vote in the poll and chime in with your thoughts on what you reload and why. :)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm in the 2-5K bracket but that will probably change. I want to shoot even more often (which is another reason why I reload) and just started into .223 reloading this week.

I reload 9mm, .45ACP, 12 gauge and now .223. Initially shotgun years ago because it was cheaper but after I cranked out and then shot my first box of shells I was really hooked. I enjoyed learning about it and actually doing it. It's a skill that I can pass on to my kids, other family members and friends. And most importantly I can have ammo when I want it and exactly how I want it.

The other bonus is that it gives me time to do something positive that helps my shooting hobby and it has also become a hobby. I listen to the radio or have a shooting or training video playing in the background. It gives me time by myself when I need it but then my son will come in and play with his Hot Wheels while I'm loading and he'll ask questions or want to help pull the lever...it is just a good, productive, enjoyable and peaceful time. I enjoy doing it almost as much as I enjoy shooting what I make.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Last night, my 10 year-old daughter was chamfering and deburring 30-'06 cases as I trimmed them. Reloading is a great self-reliance skill, like gardening or domestic animal care, that can be passed down to the next generation. Hopefully they'll never really need it, but all of the above are great ways to enrich your life and the lives of your children. :yesway:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i haven't gone a year yet but i figure i will do around 3-4000 a year because that's how many i shoot. I might ramp up a bit more to stockpile more but thats just to build up.

woodsman07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Shooting and reloading are a great way for the family to spend time together!

I load more than 5K rounds a year in rifle and handgun calibers. I load for 9mm, .45acp, .38/.357 and .44mag in handgun calibers. In rifle calibers it's primarily for .223, .308 and 30-06.

I also reload for 12ga shotgun and thats well over 5K a year.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I understand that this is in the "Reloading" forum, but I'm still surprised to such a high percentage of folks loading more than 2,000 rounds per year. I can honestly say that I have never loaded as many as 2,000 rounds; rifle, pistol and shotgun combined, in just one year.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I voted over 5000, but it's not much more than that in a typical year. At this point, it also is strictly handgun only. I also get a little help from the wife and 13 yr old son. Currently, we load for (8) calibers and are tooled up for another (3). Of what we reload, currently I would bet close to 90% of what we load are .45 ACP and 9mm. Then it would be followed by .357 sig, .357 mag, .45 Colt, .44 mag, and .38 Special.

Wife will occasionally load some of her own .45ACP and 9mm. I will at times also put son to work on the Rock Chucker resizing/depriming brass whenever he complains about be bored... :D

We mostly use a Lee Classic Turret, but I have always preferred running them in a semi batch method. We keep all our brass tumbled, resized/deprimed stored in large tupperware totes. Once I decide what load we want ( I can be very undecisive ), I will sit in front of the tv/ out on porch, ect and prime 500 with a hand held. Then a day or two later, I will then load them using the turret to it's full capabilities, simply skipping the first station.

Jarel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    My name is Jarel and I have a reloading problem. I have shot as many as 35,000 in a summer. I am doing my best to get WELL below 10,000. Maybe I need an intervention.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I know before I started reloading, I would shoot around 2k-3k per year. Now that I reload, I still see myself shooting that amount but I'll also have some to put on the shelf for when shtf.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Until my heart attack, I shot at least once a week, all year. Between handguns, rifles and shotguns, I shoot at least 3 or 4 boxes of ammo per week. The reload numbers will be lower because if I find shotgun shells on sale for $5 (or less with rebate), I do not bother reload for trap. In Texas three of us split a full pallet from the distributer that supplies the Mini Grand, so I did not reload shot shells for two years, but I normally would have. Also about every other week, I shoot 50-100 shots of .22 rifle offhand to keep my small bore skills honed, so I obviously do not reload those. When I am in leagues, I will add an extra practice session dedicated to the firearm and style that the league requires.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I go through a case of 9mm Montana Gold a year, which is about 3800 rounds. Then I do about 2 ammo cans worth of .223. So I put myself in the 5000+ range.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    I did 2500 the other weekend just in .40.

By the end of the year this is about where I see it.

8K in .40
    5k in 9
    1k in .45

..and yes, ill shoot all hut probably 1k of them by next winter. Once I get the other press setup when the house is done I expect that number to double because of rifle cartridges.

Out of curiosity, what does everyone have per 1k of whatever your reloading?

The only number I know off the top of my head that is correct are the .40's. 220 per K with titegroup and Montana gold 180gr jhp's.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Out of curiosity, what does everyone have per 1k of whatever your reloading?

The only number I know off the top of my head that is correct are the .40's. 220 per K with titegroup and Montana gold 180gr jhp's.

Just did .223 for $150 per K

Pulled 62gr. bullets, surplus powder, bulk buy primers.:ar15:
    :rockwoot:

Top Bottom