how-to-make-your-own-penut-butter-funny-demotivational-posters.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Oh. You're one of those people.;)

Oh, I'm not that strict. I eat cake and ice cream on the birthdays of immediate family members (should have had more kids). I eat bread on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and the 4th of July...provided it's home made or from a decent bakery.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    32g, vs 37g, you are correct. High school algebra tells me that Nutella has only 18+g of sugar per 32g while Skippy has, still, 3g.

That's true, but fat doesn't make you hungry for more fat. Sugar makes you hungry for more sugar...and everything else.

Agreed, as with anything.

I don't do sugar. Perhaps in France, type 2 diabetes is not the scourge it is here. That would not surprise me in the least, but it is reaching epidemic proportions here and, to my mind, is a greater risk than fat. I have lost significant weight on what some would call a "high fat" diet...along with good cholesterol numbers and blood pressure. Fat really isn't a problem in and of itself, of course sugar isn't either, but sugar is exceedingly easy to over-do it on. I probably don't take in 20g of sugar in 3 days. That has resulted in me going from rushing towards diabetes to having blood sugar that averages on the low side of normal and a liver and pancreas that are regaining their ability to regulate properly (insulin resistance is the devil). I know, this is a personal hobbyhorse for me and inapplicable to someone not in my situation, but I look around and....I see a lot of people where I was.

Again, in France, I sense this has probably not, traditionally, been the case.....but look out. ;)
    Type 2 diabetes isn’t the scourge it’s cracked up to be. It’s the fat lazy ****s that continue to kill themselves that makes it so noticeable. I was one, so I can say that. I let myself go, and got Type2, changed my lifestyle minimally, and it went away. I am still borderline, but still manage to eat and drink what I want, when I want. Most Type 2’s are reversible.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You are comparing two different sizes of servings though.
    And peanut butter contains more fat than Nutella.
    Both are probably bad for you if you eat too much of it, just like anything else.

Not quite. Both serving sizes are 2 tablespoons - a measurement of volume

Nutella, like bunker oil, is just denser than peanut butter

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Not quite. Both serving sizes are 2 tablespoons - a measurement of volume

Nutella, like bunker oil, is just denser than peanut butter
    You can't say you didn't see this coming...

While they are the same volumetric measure, considering that we're comparing the weight of certain nutritional components (can we even call sugar a nutritional component?) I think it is more accurate to compare serving size in weight vs volume. And as Houghmade (I think he's the one that did it) appropriately did, he "scaled" the serving size (weight) of Nutella so that we were comparing equal serving sizes by weight.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Well I was walking through the grocery store getting the normal stuff when Nutella caught my eye and I remembered this thread. I just had to give it a try, I wish I wouldn't have... Holy cow that stuff is good. I really don't need another food to fall in love with.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You can't say you didn't see this coming...

While they are the same volumetric measure, considering that we're comparing the weight of certain nutritional components (can we even call sugar a nutritional component?) I think it is more accurate to compare serving size in weight vs volume. And as Houghmade (I think he's the one that did it) appropriately did, he "scaled" the serving size (weight) of Nutella so that we were comparing equal serving sizes by weight.

And all twelve of the people in the world who weigh their servings might feel vindicated, but recall that the 'scaled' serving's percentage of sugar and fat calories did not change - only the gross (literally) quantities of same

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yeah....I always order a pound of Pepsi when I go to the store. :rolleyes:
    I didn't say you order, or pay for items by weight. But the proper way to compare nutrition labels is by weight. This is why you see each nutritional category listed by weight, not fractions of a fluid-oz or fractions of a Tablespoon...

Seriously, how did we get here? We were all having fun until you literal guys showed up and started nitpicking the fun...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I didn't say you order, or pay for items by weight. But the proper way to compare nutrition labels is by weight. This is why you see each nutritional category listed by weight, not fractions of a fluid-oz or fractions of a Tablespoon...

Seriously, how did we get here? We were all having fun until you literal guys showed up and started nitpicking the fun...

The proper way to compare nutrition labels is to: Read the labels. They are included above. They do not compare by weight. They compare by volume.

A marshmallow and a Tootsie Pop are about the same size. Hold both of them over a campfire. Which one has more calories? :) (not to mention a burning tootsie pop is equivalent to sugared lava)

Nitpicking the fun.....you were laughing at violence in France? Good for you.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Type 2 diabetes isn’t the scourge it’s cracked up to be. It’s the fat lazy ****s that continue to kill themselves that makes it so noticeable. I was one, so I can say that. I let myself go, and got Type2, changed my lifestyle minimally, and it went away. I am still borderline, but still manage to eat and drink what I want, when I want. Most Type 2’s are reversible.

I don't know what percentage makes it a "scourge", but I don't know if you've noticed, but fat and lazy seems to be the order of the day. I went from a HgA1C of 8.5 to 5.0 with diet change, exercise, and Metformin in 3 months, then got off the Metformin and was at 5.2 at the last check...which ain't borderline.

I do med mal defense law and lately, I've been working on a lot of cardiology cases. Regardless of age of the patient, I'm seeing peripheral artery disease, coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure all the time. Sure, most (not all) are overweight and have type 2 diabetes. Diabetes causes microvascular disease and starts harming blood flow long before your leg starts hurting or you get chest pain which is when most people start getting treatment.

All I'm saying is that diabetes is a problem. Even not being obese (merely overweight when I made my changes), I was well on my way to some real problems. Too much sugar for too long will cause insulin resistance and once you get that, diabetes closely follows. Sure, it may be reversible in a lot of people, but it's a long road back. I have had my A1C well into the "normal" range for a year with strict restrictions, but I know full well that if I let up, I'd be right up there again and be on the meds. It's not for me. I may have to be this strict forever...so be it. Not everyone does, and I'm happy for them.

So, I see it as a widespread "scourge", probably, because I see a lot of it. Seems like not a day goes by that I don't hear of someone else fretting about prediabetes or diabetes and bemoaning that they'll never be able to control it...and with that attitude, they won't.

Anyhoo, a "scourge" is in the eye of the beholder.

Anyone out there, eat your Nutella, enjoy it....but if your day usually involves that, some sweet cereal in the morning, a Snickers bar, potatoes, bread, a few sweetened beverages and desert at some point every day....maybe, just maybe it's time to get some blood work done.

Oh, to be young again.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Tha plastic jar thing is just an American thing.
    The Nutella jars are made of glass over here (besides the bucket size ones for restaurants that are made of plastic).
    Once you eat the Nutella and clean the jar you're left with a drinking glass than you can use for many years.

My wife and I have used Mason jars as our drinking glasses for years......

painted-mason-jar-drinking-glasses-step-2.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The proper way to compare nutrition labels is to: Read the labels. They are included above. They do not compare by weight. They compare by volume.
    I can't tell if you're being serious... if you aren't, you're forgetting your purple.

The labels are above, correct. They compare by weight, the components are listed by weight, and the percentage daily-value is based upon the weight of each component. The volumetric measure for a serving size is expressed either by weight, by count & weight, or by volume & weight. When volume & weight are expressed, the volumetric measure is simply a reference so that you can easily determine approximately how many servings you have had. The weight measure is so that you can easily compare different products that may have different serving sizes etc. Utilizing volumetric measurement relies on the density of the product as another variable in the comparison, so they give the weight to make it easier for you to correlate 1 product to another, just as we've done here.

As to your tootsie-pop vs marshmallow analogy, marshmallows, surprisingly have little sugar per piece, or per volume, and compared to a tootsie pop of equivalent volume, they have far less sugar, but when compared to a tootsie pop of equivalent weight, they have approximately the same amount of sugar. How is one to compare 2 foods of vastly differing densities without scaling them for the weight of the serving? Furthermore, one cannot count calories/volume without knowing the density when the calories/weight are readily known (IE, 5 calories per gram of sugar). How many calories from sugar are in a 1/4 cup of tootsie pop?

No laughing at the French people, although I do think it's a bit ridiculous to get in fights to save $1...

With that, I'm out. I fell we've taken this too far off-topic. My previous comments to Houghmade were just light, friendly fun. You've turned it not-fun.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Gee, I'm sorry I ruined your day.

In the USA, we use volumetrics much more than the Europeans, who tend to weigh ingredients in recipes. We order scoops of ice cream, use tablespoons of butter, use 1/2 cup gravy, etc. I think you are wrong in the way you are looking at things, but hey, it's Nutella, not fentanyl. Who really cares?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Right, because the percentage is based upon the weight; aka the correct way to compare nutrition labels.

Again, not quite

Percentage of calories (a measure of chemical energy potential) from fat or sugar is based on total calories

The following numbers are not the actual numbers from the labels because I don't care enough to page back through the thread, but you'll get the idea

If 37 grams of Nutella had 428 calories and 214 of them came from fat, then 50% of its calories come from fat

Thus 32 grams of Nutella would have 370 calories (to nearest calorie) and 185 of them would come from fat, again 50%

If a gallon of gas from your local gas and go contains 10% ethanol, how much does a half gallon contain

ETA: Don't overthink it. Answer is still 10%

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know what percentage makes it a "scourge", but I don't know if you've noticed, but fat and lazy seems to be the order of the day. I went from a HgA1C of 8.5 to 5.0 with diet change, exercise, and Metformin in 3 months, then got off the Metformin and was at 5.2 at the last check...which ain't borderline.

I do med mal defense law and lately, I've been working on a lot of cardiology cases. Regardless of age of the patient, I'm seeing peripheral artery disease, coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure all the time. Sure, most (not all) are overweight and have type 2 diabetes. Diabetes causes microvascular disease and starts harming blood flow long before your leg starts hurting or you get chest pain which is when most people start getting treatment.

All I'm saying is that diabetes is a problem. Even not being obese (merely overweight when I made my changes), I was well on my way to some real problems. Too much sugar for too long will cause insulin resistance and once you get that, diabetes closely follows. Sure, it may be reversible in a lot of people, but it's a long road back. I have had my A1C well into the "normal" range for a year with strict restrictions, but I know full well that if I let up, I'd be right up there again and be on the meds. It's not for me. I may have to be this strict forever...so be it. Not everyone does, and I'm happy for them.

So, I see it as a widespread "scourge", probably, because I see a lot of it. Seems like not a day goes by that I don't hear of someone else fretting about prediabetes or diabetes and bemoaning that they'll never be able to control it...and with that attitude, they won't.

Anyhoo, a "scourge" is in the eye of the beholder.

Anyone out there, eat your Nutella, enjoy it....but if your day usually involves that, some sweet cereal in the morning, a Snickers bar, potatoes, bread, a few sweetened beverages and desert at some point every day....maybe, just maybe it's time to get some blood work done.

Oh, to be young again.

Well done, Hough! There is also a fairly strong statistical connection between high blood sugar and Alzheimer's. They are still investigating the mechanism, but it is suspected to involve an enzyme utilized in the brain to prevent the build up of the abnormal proteins characteristic of Alzheimer's which is degraded by excessive glycation (A1c (more properly hg A1c) is a measure of glycated hemoglobin)

Top Bottom