• ...and so much more!
  • ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Hi all,

I got an idea stuck in my head to start a gun club for nw Indiana for the sole purpose acquiring a piece of land we can use for a range that is local. I don't have any place in particular in mind, but it would have to be somewhere away from homes so that we didn't bother people. As a not for profit venture, does anyone from this area have interest? Does anyone have advice on how to go about this? I probably couldn't afford to do this on my own.

Anyways, I just had to put this out here. I've been mulling it over in my brain for a few weeks. I'm tired of driving an hour just to the closest range only to find out its full, or it isn't full but some a-hole RO is working that day.

I've tried the public ranges, izaak walton and pay to play ranges. None are what I'm looking for.

Give me your thoughts on this.

Thanks

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    What part of NWI are you in? I am in Demotte and I would possibly be intrested in this but I'd need more details. So, details please!

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    I'm in Highland myself. I don't really expect we'll find something in this area that we could use for a range though. Far to many people, roads and businesses here. If anything I was expecting to find something south like in demotte.

I don't have any other details at the moment. Tell me what you had in mind?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    JP is 15 minutes from my house. Free range, good RO's, and they have a 25, 50, 100, 225 yard ranges. They have a skeet range as well. It wouldn't be bad if everyone got together for an all day event. During the week it is nearly empty.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    gun range

Have you contacted the Michigan city gun club , they have a range outside of Michigan city. Kemp's gunshop should be able to get you some info on the club.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    North Porter County Conservation Club is at Indiana 49 and the Indiana Toll Road near Chesterton and thus closer to Highland than Michigan City gun club. Of course all clubs have their ups and downs, but there are some good guys who help run North Porter County and they aren't too oppressive. As is usually the case, you do not have to be a member to shoot club matches, so check out their website and maybe go shoot a steel match or something. Shooting a match will give you a taste of their facilities and demeanor.

Best of luck,
    Josh

Last edited:

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    North Porter County Conservation Club is at Indiana 49 and the Indiana Toll Road near Chesterton and thus closer to Highland than Michigan City gun club. Of course all clubs have their ups and downs, but there are some good guys who help run North Porter County and they aren't too oppressive. As is usually the case, you do not have to be a member to shoot club matches, so check out their website and maybe go shoot a steel match or something. Shooting a match will give you a taste of their facilities and demeanor.

Best of luck,
    Josh

Josh,

I checked into them but they want 12 hours of community service, 2 gun safety courses and a sponsor.

Thanks anyways.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I shoot on my property, but I'd certainly enjoy a social shooting spot too, one were other like minded individuals would partake in shooting sports.

I'd be especially interested if the private shooting club would also work in conjunction with the local high schools to foster a growth in shooting interest. There is an organization called the "Scholastic Clays Target Program" where high school kids get scholarships to college for busting clay targets. If anyone wants to go in on a shooting range that would ALSO allow for us to bring in the High School kids a couple afternoons a week for clay shooting under the auspices of the Scholastic Clay program, then I will chip in some money for land, equipment.

It would be great to have a couple trap ranges, a long range rifle range (at least 500 yards), a 100 yard range, and a large area for pistol shooting . . . especially if we could also build a "tactical" pistol area with mock houses, barricades, etc.

The land would have to be in the south/central part of Lake County or near the Lake/Porter line so it could accessible to not only us, but also to a couple of the local high schools. I'd bet we could get kids from Hanover Central, Crown Point and Lowell to shoot there. Not only that but as a condition for the kids to shoot, they could also help maintain the property too.

Just a thought!

Oh and a couple additional thoughts. AFTER we set it up, we could seriously consider DONATING the land to the County Parks Department, or one of the gun-friendly State departments. We do that with the stipulation that the parks department use the land for target shooting, trap shooting, hunter and shooting education and shooting sports recreational activities. We can put all that into the land covenants before the transfer. Doing that will eliminate our property tax and insurance burdens, it will also give us a tax deductible donation we can take off our income taxes. It has the downside of opening the land to the public for public use, but we could set up a 'private lease' for the property that would allow the founding members some limited times when the public would not be allowed to shoot. Similarly when the Scholastic Clays shooting is going on with the High School kids the public would not be allowed to shoot because the ranges would be reserved for them.

Last edited:

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    If you were to consider purchasing land in Pulaski County, the big advantage would be, at least right now, other than a 2-mile radius around the town of Winamac, there is no zoning regulations. I would have to think it would make setting up a shooting range or gun club a whole lot easier.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Josh,

I checked into them but they want 12 hours of community service, 2 gun safety courses and a sponsor.

Thanks anyways.

12 hours of giving back to the place you want to use indiscriminately is too much? How much "service" do you think it will take to buy your own property and run your own range?

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    12 hours of giving back to the place you want to use indiscriminately is too much? How much "service" do you think it will take to buy your own property and run your own range?

There are other reasons but I don't want to make a post with a laundry list of things I don't like about other ranges. They do what they do and thats their business.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington

AR15Junkie has made it clear that he isn't interested in North Porter County Conservation Club, and that's fine. No hard feelings at all. I understand that many ranges have rules that look like a pain in the butt. For those others who are following this thread, I should point out that it is my understanding that the 12 hours of "service" are not as back-breaking as some might fear. I am not a member, but from talking to a guy who is, I was told that things like setting up for the next day's match or mowing the grass counts towards your debt.

I understand some people still won't want to go mow the grass at the range, but the point is that its really not that hard. And setting up matches is fellowship with other shooters- a win-win situation.

Lastly, I want to repeat to some who may be interested in the place- go shoot a match some weekend. It gives you a chance to meet the regulars and check out the facilities. Maybe after seeing that they have the type of range you are looking for, mowing the grass 2 or 3 times a year wont seem so bad.

YMMV.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    How much is it to shoot a match? What types of matches? My only problem is with my schedule (school/work) and what will probibly be an hour drive one way.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    How much is it to shoot a match? What types of matches? My only problem is with my schedule (school/work) and what will probibly be an hour drive one way.

I assume you mean the North Porter county conservation club. Heres a link to their web page.

North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton, Indiana

I couldn't find a price for the match. One place said 7-40 dollars. Some of their range rules. Note, they apparently don't allow ccw.

A note to new shooters and our guests visiting for NPCCC for the first time-
    If you have never participated in a pistol shooting match, the Steel Plate Challenge is the ideal "first match" for you. There is little or no movement around the course required. The setups are all in sight and easy to understand.
    Also, if you are new to shooting competitions or are unfamiliar with matches and range rules in general, we ask that you arrive early to spend a few minutes with a veteran instructor to show you the basics and explain the range rules.
    The most important of the range rules is that North Porter is a "cold range" on match days. This means there is NO handling of firearms anywhere on the property except for the specified safety area table, or when the shooter is actually on the firing line and is instructed by the range officer to handle the gun.
    Please do not arrive with a loaded gun, or carrying one, or, if you do because you are legally carrying, please go immediately to the Safe Area yellow table and unload the gun before signing up or anything else.
    Incidentally, this is the only time ammunition is permitted in the Safe Area.
    During cold range times, your gun should always be holstered or cased, magazine well and all chambers empty, except when on the firing line and you are instructed to load by the range officer.
    Thanks for your consideration of these basic safety rules.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    just put the range in Griffith with the backstop being Gary and you will be ok:D j/k.I would be interested in this as well. I wonder how Isaak Walton was able to keep the range they have in Griffith?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Some of their range rules. Note, they apparently don't allow ccw.

Sadly, cold ranges seem to be more common. Its not uncommon that a club has a rule forbidding loaded firearms behind the shooting box. I think it sucks. However, if you are waiting for a range that doesn't mention this issue, well, don't hold your breath.

I certainly don't like it any more than it seems you do, but its not uncommon at ranges where matches are held. Of course, its only a rule, and proper CCW is like wearing your wife's panties- nobody knows if you don't let on. If you are worried, have a snubby on your ankle, you certainly wouldn't be the first. I think the primary concern is having a loaded firearm that is being handled behind the line.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington

Where do you go to school? If you are in Lafayette there is a nice club even closer.

NPCCC shoots all kinds of matches, and their website lists matches at other "local" clubs as well. Steel is a good match that is easy to figure out. Regardless of what match you shoot there, when you sign in and pay, mention to the guy or gal taking the money that this is your first match, and ask them to squad you with a veteran. 99% of shooters want to cultivate new shooters and having an old timer in your squad can help you relax and provide answers to all the "stupid" little questions that you cant answer. Particularly in USPSA/IPSC there are some rules that may not seem obvious at first but are important (could lead to dq). USPSA is another great match, but not quite as simple as a steel match. Either course of fire should get your adrenaline flowing enough to bring you back next month.

Top Bottom