• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remington870

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Hebron
    Today was the funeral for the fallen officer from Merrillville. I do not know all the details about his funeral, but from what I pieced together, the main service was in Merrillville and he was being transported to the town of Lowell. The Indiana State Police had shut down S.R. 2, S.R. 55, and who knows how many other roads. This resulted in a mass amount of traffic. I had to travel from my house to Cedar Lake, a 30 minute drive. With just a few roads shut down, it took me 90 minutes to get there. There was a lot of vehicles travelling up and down the roads by my house, is extremely unusual. Parked cars were scattered along the back roads. People were standing outside their vehicles and talking on their phones. After being unable to cross S.R. 55, I had to back track and attempt to head north to U.S. 231, where I hoped to cut through Crown Point and then head back down south to Cedar Lake. 231 was a parking lot. I tried cutting down back roads near there only to run into more parked cars. I seriously thought that something terrible had happened. An attack, a severe car accident, something other then a funeral procession. I finally found a route that bypassed the traffic on 231 and got me near Crown Point square, which was locked up with traffic. Took me 20 minutes to move 1.5 miles. I headed north out of the square, and cut some more back roads, before coming out in St. John on U.S. 41. I then was able to head south to Ceda

To the best of my knowledge, only 2 roads were shutdown. Imagine if SHTF, and police shut down more roads. Or if everyone decides to leave the area at once. If I have to bug out to my special area, I have alternate routes planned. Luckily, they don't involve heading through NWI. But, this made me reassess those routes. Because routes I thought were safe to take in NWI, if something were to happen and I had to get home, we not at all safe. And therefore, perhaps my judgement on the safety of those bugout routes aren't as good either.

I'm not at all bashing the fallen officer.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    Today was the funeral for the fallen officer from Merrillville. I do not know all the details about his funeral, but from what I pieced together, the main service was in Merrillville and he was being transported to the town of Lowell. The Indiana State Police had shut down S.R. 2, S.R. 55, and who knows how many other roads.
    The estimate was 1000 police vehicles and 500 other vehicles for the procession.

The schools in Lowell were closed for the day - here's a bit from my e-mail: "However, we just received a phone call from Police Chief Matson who informed us that they are closing State Road 2 from Holtz Road to Mill Street from 12:30 -6:00 p.m. on September 15th for the funeral procession. Based on this new information, Tri-Creek School Corporation will not hold school on Monday, September 15, 2014."

I assumed they closed the roads so people could just park their vehicles on the road since none of the cemeteries in Lowell are large enough to handle the estimated crowd. I'd say the biggest one next to the police station might have parking for a hundred vehicles.

Top Bottom