Not open for further replies.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The terrain is really bad though, some are so inclined your constantly rolling ankles. Add in snow and huge loose rocks.ouch

CTC you are right and you don't work for the RR yet but have done your research. Like I was saying earlier some of the mainline there is no siding to drive along and you have to get as much info from the conductor about what is going on so you can bring the right tools without having to walk 3k and up feet to inspect and walk back and forth wasting time getting the tools you need. Especially when there are snow drifts up to your thigh and you need to walk with your tools.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I've got 5 feelers that work for UP, so I'm getting Intel from guys who work on, around, in, above, the rails...

I know once I make the jump it'll be for life so I want to make sure it's the right thing..

But as for right now, 8-430, 28 min commute, M-F, pension, and heated shop is where I'm very comfortable with. Especially at wages very similar to locals

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    You had a solid foundation to walk on try doing that on ballast. I worked concrete construction after high school in 04 and did my fair share of moving 50 cals after test firing from 7 ton to 7 ton while overseas because a truck would be swapped out or our 3521's would find something wrong and deadline it. Walking on solid ground vs rock are two different things as is working over the summer vs winter outdoors.

You again have no idea what you are talking about. I had no solid foundations to walk on, I had ice in the winter, mud in the summer, uneven torn up ground, lots and lots of sand. And in the winter, frozen sand, not unlike your rocks. Yeah it sucks. I was not given a college education, I came home and worked every break. I didn't get spring breaks. I was back carrying double windows, solid oak doors, tile, marble and lots of flooring and cabinets. Sure the times when we got to use ramps were luxury, but most the time, it was carrying from the street.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I am. I walked away with a few new views on things and I hope others have as well.

Please post pre 1965 era mill photos you took while in your apprenticeship. Tyty

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've got 5 feelers that work for UP, so I'm getting Intel from guys who work on, around, in, above, the rails...

I know once I make the jump it'll be for life so I want to make sure it's the right thing..

But as for right now, 8-430, 28 min commute, M-F, pension, and heated shop is where I'm very comfortable with. Especially at wages very similar to locals

Yeah I had my interview with the railroad and was waiting on a call back, but in the meantime had a few interviews with some diesel shops around Laporte. They were willing to pay between 15-18 an hr. The benefits were no where as good as the railroads though. Its a great job except for the winters, but hey it is what it is. I still love every minute of it and enjoy going out on the mainline as I get to drive places ordinary people can't, see some beautiful scenery, and these trains depend on me to get them moving again as fast as possible. Not sure if you looked at NS yet, but we just had a hiring session last month after not having one for almost 8 months. I don't know what your looking to do, but you can always look. You would mostly be looking at Chicago or Elkhart if you want a big yard. We only have 10 Carmen total in our yard so the Ot is very small. I doubt the gov will tap into our account as they will have consequences. What they will be I'm unsure, but I don't think they want a rail stoppage to effect the economy.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    SCREEN

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Lone, what happened to your blower?

I think it when I was doing the neighbors snow I hit a piece of firewood that was laying on the ground. It did not stop working then but I'm sure that was it. There's a roll pin that keeps everthing in place inside the auger gear box that sheared causing the shaft to shift back and forth which just destroyed the gears.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think it when I was doing the neighbors snow I hit a piece of firewood that was laying on the ground. It did not stop working then but I'm sure that was it. There's a pin that keeps everthing in place inside the auger gear box that sheared causing the shaft to shift back and forth which just destroyed the gears.

I sucked in a telephone book. Instead of shearing the shear pins, it went to the second stage.
    Made a lot of noise.

Only permanent damage looks like 3 plastic spacers I melted between 1st stage auger blades.
    I'll have to take the shaft off to fix it.

armybrat1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Demotte
    I love old pictures like that. Makes me appreciate how things look today....it's nice to be reminded that before us, there were some VERY hard working people that paved the way so we could have it better. I'll check out the rest of them, thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom