• Status
    Not open for further replies.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    not my truck,test driving it for repairs I had just made.... I was tempted to roll some coal on those guys in my own truck on way back from lunch, but figured since they had nothing else to do, theyd follow me and boycott my truck for something

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Just a heads up if you are looking for a pistol safe. $176 shipped to you.
    Product Listing - Fort Knox Pistol Box
    This is about $55 cheaper than anyplace that I could find.

AB4799C7-4240-45BD-A942-6790009EA2AB-7300-00000A775D882ED2_zpsb1222af6.jpg

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Kinda new to AR ownership. Pmags okay to store loaded or just better off empty?

It's not the position of the spring/follower (full/empty/partial) that wears out the spring (if that's what you are concerned about). It's the loading/unloading that will wear a spring out ... assuming that you could do that with today's metallurgy and the fact that you are not invovled in 24/7 combat operations. Think along the lines of the springs/shocks in a vehicle, they don't wear out over time with the vehicle sitting there (they are always under load ... like a full magazine). It's the driving down the road, hitting bumps and holes that wears them out.

If it's the feed lips that you are concerned about, the PMags come with a cover. Use it.

BTW ... What AR did you pick up?

Last edited:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I leave mine loaded all the time... no real problems.... On my Beretta pistol mags some seem to split at the weld over time... not sure if they were going to do that anyways or because their under load...

On your AR mags, some people down load their mags by two rounds to allow some movement in the mag for loading the mag in a closed bolt condition on your AR but I've noticed that this isn't the case with all AR's some will take a fully loaded mag with the bolt closed and others require some pushing to get it to seat...

If your leaving your mags loaded with steel cased ammo I would throw the rounds loose in a ziplock bag with some graphite powder and get some graphite on the steel before loading...

That's all I got...

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Oh.... PS on the PMAGS, their top of the line but they make some marked M2 and others marked M3. The M2's are thicker magazines and will have problems fitting in some AR magazine wells, the M3's fit about everything...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Kinda new to AR ownership. Pmags okay to store loaded or just better off empty?

If it's the feed lips that you are concerned about, the PMags come with a cover. Use it.

I do NOT store my Pmags loaded UNLESS they have the 'dust cover' installed.

Pmags are plastic and loaded magazines, even if downloaded a round or two, have the spring pressure pushing the cases against the thin plastic lips of the the magazine. There is a clear possibility that the lips can deform under that constant pressure of long term storage. When the 'dust cover' is installed it actually pushes the rounds down and takes the pressure off of the feed lips. Not all Pmags come with the dust covers. But it clearly serves a purpose other than keeping dust out of your loaded magazines because it removes the contact between the feed lips and the loaded cartridges by pushing them back and relieving the pressure from the lips. The way I see it, if MagPul wanted you to store your ammo in their magazines with the cartridges pressing against the feed lips they would not have designed the dust cover to push the cartridges down away from the feed lips.

Just another reason why I prefer the Lancer L5 magazines with steel lips.

:patriot:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom